Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 3DTrains: Tehachapi Pass Beta Available

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    No indication here that the account is waiting for anything...Have you checked your spam inbox? If you like, I can change it for you so you can log in, and where you can change it to suit afterward. I'll PM you here.
    Thanks for sorting Marc, order now placed.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Much of the scenery in Bakersfield will be limited to a stones throw from the rails. There's just no practical way of extending scenery as far as the eye can see, as no one would be able to run the route, let alone given enough years of my own life to finish.
    There are many Train Simmers who prefer depth of scenery in routes and not just drive trains from inside their cabs. DTG and some of their third party partners providing it in their routes !

No point using advanced graphics for scenery if there is nothing much to show with them !

It is obviously a lot of work for one creator working on his own, his partner and family not being too happy him spending most of his time on doing it.

But whatever, this route will be appreciated by most just because of your Scalerail it uses. Hopefully also eventually their version 2 when it is ready for release !

It's not just the time taken to place such assets but optimisation, too. Does someone who's primary wish is to drive a heavy freight train across the Tehachapi Mountains want or expect an exact scale replica of most of the city of Bakersfield?

In many ways a train sim route is akin to a movie set, we are providing what needs to be seen from a reasonable viewing angle (and that does include some concession to the helicopter pilots) but there are limits. I have often spent many hours or days myself putting in scenery or detail which turns out not to even be visible from the train!

Or look at it another way, Rockstar had a full team of artists working for many months if not years to produce their scaled down version of Los angeles (Los Santos) and even that is probably far smaller (about 3 x 2 miles for the urban area) than Bakersfield.
    Vern.

What I expect to see when the UE4 version of TS-Whatever is being sold is detailed realistic scenery as far as the eye can see or no deal !

I also figure You may be busy creating the Sherman Hill route for MSTS

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    I also figure You may be busy creating the Sherman Hill route for MSTS
    Yes, I've been burning the candle at both ends.
    Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Smile

An update has been posted and is now available for download in the Tehachapi Pass Downloads section. Changes include:

• Updated track direction to prevent blocking trains
    • Extended track through Fleta
    • Adjusted and renamed siding markers
    • Fixed floating signal head at Summit
    • Corrected super elevation at Marcel
    • Corrected milepost texture links

If you run into any issues with the above files, please let me know.
    Cheers!
    Marc - 3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    ...Does someone who's primary wish is to drive a heavy freight train across the Tehachapi Mountains want or expect an exact scale replica of most of the city of Bakersfield?....
    Nope...not this little black duck, that's for sure.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    What I expect to see when the UE4 version of TS-Whatever is being sold is detailed realistic scenery as far as the eye can see or no deal !
    Then it looks as if you'll be saving some money, Otto.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I spend most of my driving time in 'helicopter' mode...but then again, I also have flight simulator. I can truly understand the need to keep distant scenery objects within reason. Train Simulator versus a 'flight simulator following train tracks'. Would be nice to not have tracks that have nothing but a row of trees adjacent to it though. I would venture a guess that even if UE4 offers the ability to have scenery to the horizon, unless there is a way to create the texture, there will be little interest in spending time and money to create distant scenery objects that would be outside of a train simulator/train game environment.