Thread: Locomotive models work on only a certain route

Jct of the NS Southern Tier an, New York.

Default Locomotive models work only on a certain route

Hello,

A strange problem has recently transpired when running MSTS. The issue is that certain locomotives models work on an earlier version of my unreleased route project, but not on a later version. When I try to run these locomotives, I encounter the following error message while the route is loading: "Microsoft Train Simulator has stopped working." I made several repeated attempts over the course of several hours to try to find the cause of the issue and devise a solution to address it. However, the cause remains an elusive mystery. Intially, I had organized the two versions of the route into two seperate MSTS installations. In an attempt to find the cause of the problem, I combined the two routes into one MSTS installation. I find it odd that certain nonelectric locomotives i.e the models that came with the Train Artisan American Classics set and BLW/ZT sets work in one version of the route project whereas they no longer work in another version. What I find further perplexing is that the problem occurs despite the routes being installed in the same MSTS installation! This issue of MSTS crashing recently started to occur. I'm running MSTS with Windows 10. Does anyone have a theory why MSTS crashes when attempting to loading certain locomotives models on a route whereas the software doesn't crash when loading these locomotives on another route version? I am stumped as to a cause. If anyone has a possible solution, then that would be further helpful.
    Last edited by erielackawanna; 10-14-2015 at 03:09 PM.

Just a thought, have you compared the ".trk" files of both versions to see if they are the same?
    Steve
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by erielackawanna View Post
    Hello,
    ..............snip................................ ....
    I'm running MSTS with Windows 10.............snip......................
    Did you install MSTS to the default path?

This is the default install path: >>>===> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator

The path you chose will be in the Shortcut to MSTS's properties dialog on the Target line.

regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 10-14-2015 at 04:43 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Did you install MSTS to the default path?

This is the default install path: >>>===> C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator

The path you chose will be in the Shortcut to MSTS's properties dialog on the Target line.

regards,
    Hi Vince,

I don't have MSTS in front of me now, but to the best of my recollection I installed MSTS to C:\ Tristate. I will check where I installed MSTS to on my PC when I get home in a few days. I wonder why certain certain locomotives only work with one version of a route and not the other when they are both in the same MSTS installation.

Quote Originally Posted by commec61 View Post
    Just a thought, have you compared the ".trk" files of both versions to see if they are the same?
    The route version in which certain locomotives can operate on does have an Kosmos file or vice versa. The two route versions have the same number of folder and files in the main folder. There is a vast difference in the number of files in those folders comparing the two routes. I hope my description makes sense. After 14 years of having MSTS, I thought I was beginning to finally understand the software. But it throws me another problem.
    Last edited by erielackawanna; 10-14-2015 at 07:16 PM.