Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Track and Inertial Modelling

RDB is the road database, TDB is the track database.

TrEndNode defines if the vector either ends or continues. When set to 1, travel doesn't go past the end of the node.

TrVectorNode indicates the track pieces which comprise a continuous vector without any change in the second and fourth values defined in the quaternion.

TrItemRef is a pointer reference to an interactive object as defined in either the RIT or TIT file (i.e. a signal, crossover junction, platform, speedpost).

TrPin are where track pieces join other pieces, and in the case of points/turnouts, define the primary and alternate vectors available from that particular point/turnout when diverging or converging.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post

TrItemRef is a pointer reference to an interactive object as defined in either the RIT or TIT file (i.e. a signal, crossover junction, platform, speedpost).
    The items are also defined in the .tdb and .rdb itself. OR does not use either TIT or RIT.

Regards,
    Rob Roeterdink

Duh... I knew that.... been spending too much time away from the guts & bytes....

Thanks again guys,

The UiD section seems to contain the most data, what are all of these values referring to?

Also, you mentioned that there are quaternions, where are these values defined?

Am I right in assuming that there should be a co-ordinate system of some sort, where in these files is the information that dictates the position of a node, it's length, or curvature or any other physical properties?

If I wanted to use this file to plot the route as a servies of lines, can I do that? If so, which data do I need to use, If not, what other files do I need?

I've also read somewhere that the TrPin refers to the number of inputs and outputs... So what is a TrPin (37 0), or a TrPin (1016 1)?

I would have expected TrPin(1 1) to be the most common?

Also, I have no idea what TIT and RIT stand for... There are way too many TLA's for me to deal with.

Regards,
    -Steve

Hi Steve !

I wonder what Marc Nelson has to say in response to all your questions on the subject ?

As far as I am concerned he is the only one left who is still creating them for MSTS, working on a new version of his Scalerail tracks for MSTS and ORTS and qualified to answer them !

Quote Originally Posted by StevenSam View Post
    Thanks again guys,

The UiD section seems to contain the most data, what are all of these values referring to?

Also, you mentioned that there are quaternions, where are these values defined?

Am I right in assuming that there should be a co-ordinate system of some sort, where in these files is the information that dictates the position of a node, it's length, or curvature or any other physical properties?

If I wanted to use this file to plot the route as a servies of lines, can I do that? If so, which data do I need to use, If not, what other files do I need?

I've also read somewhere that the TrPin refers to the number of inputs and outputs... So what is a TrPin (37 0), or a TrPin (1016 1)?

I would have expected TrPin(1 1) to be the most common?

Also, I have no idea what TIT and RIT stand for... There are way too many TLA's for me to deal with.

Regards,
    -Steve
    Three files that play together here...

The TDB/RDB builds chains of UID's into a TrackNode, which then uses the UID as a pointer back to the .W files (in the WORLD directory for the route). The W holds the geographic coordinates and quaternion values for each scenery object and track piece.

Within each track object in the W files, you'll see a reference to ShapeIdx, which is a pointer to the TSECTION.DAT files (the main file is located in the GLOBAL directory for the installation plus one in the primary directory for each route). The TSection defines the geometry for track shapes (length, curvature, and path offset from a X/Z axis where multiple tracks/lanes exist on a single track piece).

TrPin(37 0) means that the pin for the track section you're looking at is attached to TrackNode 37, and is the default path. TrPin(1016 1) is attached to TrackNode 1016, and is an alternate path.

If you want to see how a 2D plot is constructed, look for the ORTS source code for the Track Viewer or the Dispatcher Display. Both of these projects do just that.
    Last edited by eolesen; 10-30-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Hi,

Ummm, almost Eric, but not quite.

TrackNodes ( 32802
    TrackNode ( 1
    TrJunctionNode ( 0 38052 1 )
    UiD ( -10999 14408 268 0 -10999 14408 567.714 174.329 771.099 0 -0.345033 0 )
    TrPins ( 1 2
    TrPin ( 14071 1 )
    TrPin ( 10 0 )
    TrPin ( 7 0 )
    )
    )

An example, the first number is the Track Node that leg of the Junction node is connected to. (14701 ) 1 is the entrance to the junction node, 0 is(are) the exits in this case. The Zero(s) and One(s) will swap if the T key was used while placing the turnout. In MSTS, the Junction Node has zero length, and is a simple point, defined by the second W file naming, the X,Y,Z numbers following that and the q(uarternion) numbers after those. Y in MSTS is above (or below) sea level for the world files.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

Edits made, Doug... Getting too old to remember all these little details...

I skipped over TrackNodes being a collection of TrackObj's...

Hi Eric,

Yes, sometimes it amazes me that this even worked in Win98, given all the nitty little details that had to mesh perfectly in order for it to arrive in the Rendering Engine(s) without a CTD or a "MSTS has encountered a problem and needs to close" message.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?238541-3d-modeling-progs-and-making-tracks-for-MSTS&p=1141519#post1141519

Years ago I worked with Y-Tracks Romanovski, testing and releasing them from my web site, after editing all Y-Tracks shape files to use Acleantrack textures instead of his Ycleantrack ones so that my MSTS-Tracks changer can be used with them, adding my how-to-use Y-Tracks manual !

He showed me how to create his Y-Tracks using 3DCanvas.

Got it and had a go but had to give up, trying to create animated switches, turnouts, junctions, or whatever they are called being a nightmare, especially slips, MSTS signalling not being aware of them creating another problem !

His wife then divorced him, getting fed up with him spending most of his time working on creating them !

Later when working with Norbert Rieger on his DB-Tracks I used my workaround of creating MSTS Dynamic straight and curved tracks, have DYNATRAX convert them to DynaTrax track shape files and then rename them to their appropriate length / radius X-Tracks shapes, also listing them in the Global Tsection.dat !

Doing the latter is only necessary when using new X-Tracks tracks in the Route Editor, otherwise just adding them to the Global\Shapes folder will do !

All suggestions made so far are only a small part of what it takes to create them, covering just the tip of the Iceberg !

Don't waste anymore of your time as you will be getting nowhere !

Me having worked day and night for years creating my commercial accounting software, being physically inactive most of the time, not smoking but drinking lots of sugary Coke with some Brandy, got me Diabetes-2 and then a heart attack in 2003 and wonder whether Norbert doing similar was the cause of his untimely passing away ?

The heart attack was a warning and doing something to change my Austrian eating preferences and using Natural Supplements to add minerals and vitamins to what is lacking in my diet has so far kept the lid on my health problems, but can do nothing about getting older !