Thread: Reversing Train Orientation

Default Reversing Train Orientation

I am guessing this is intentional but IMO is a very poor and confusing decision. In this case I am using the Zig Zag activities. The "problem" occurs mostly at Top Points and Bottom Points when on the various wings but happens, I think, anywhere on dead ends. Once the train has stopped, the orientation of the train reverses. That is, signals and switches that are behind the engine are considered ahead of the train and likewise those in front of the engine are considered behind the train. Why was this done this way and why is it considered a good idea? For me I never know which signals and switches I am changing when in manual mode. I really get screwed up when uncoupling using F9. Sometimes the F9 display does not show the changed orientation immediately and I wind up uncoupling the last car rather then the engine. This is very confusing and completely unnecessary as far as I can see. TIA.

Read these two sections in the manual
    7.4.7 F4 Track Monitor
    7.4.10 F8 Switch Monitor
    The information contained may help you sort it out.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of those monitors but those sections of the documentation do not explain the logic behind switching the orientation of the train. It still makes no sense to me the make what is in front of the engine the rear of the train. It is unnecessary confusion and I wanted to know why this was considered a good idea. At the very least it ought to be a user option if someone has some odd reason for doing that.

The principle here is that a train is always moving 'forward' when it is running in the direction of its defined path.
    There have been extensive discussions on this, but the problem is that there are two distinct and incompatible situations when it comes to reversing.
    One is the situation you describe above, when a train is just moving backward.
    The other is when reversing MU's or push-pull trains, where the train is really running forward again but in the opposite direction.
    Clearly, both from a program point of view as well as for clarilty for users, a consistent solution is what was required, and the decision was made to use the principle as stated above. A not unimportant reason for this decision was that doing it any other way would have seriously complicated the signalling logic. Besides, to have it sometimes this way and sometimes the other would also be even more confusing.
    So - just remember - whenever you are running in the direction of the defined path, you are moving forward.

Regards,
    Rob Roeterdink

Thanks for that explanation. Now it makes more sense and perhaps should be added to the documentation for us noobs.