Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Train Sim Modeler into 64-bit OS

Default Installing Train Sim Modeler into 64-bit OS

Hi all,
    There is no need to install into a 32-bit OS before transferring into a 64-bit OS, and there's no 'fiddling' with the Registry!! The following has been tested on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit, but will probably also apply to XP, Vista and Win 8.

While checking how to do this, I came across this site :http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10988 which provided the essential key!

A. If you've got the CD :
    1. Create a temporary folder on your hard drive - maybe called TSM.
    2. Create a folder within TSM called TSM-CD - ensure it is NOT read-only.
    3. Copy all the files off the TSM CD into folder TSM-CD.
    4. Go to the website linked above and download Is3engine.zip (about 1/3rd way down page) into folder TSM.
    5. Unpack Is3engine.zip to end up with a folder called Is3engine which contains a file setup32.exe.
    6. Copy setup32.exe into folder TSM-CD. This folder already contains setup.exe, which may be deleted, to avoid confusion.
    7. To install TSM, run setup32.exe.

The folders may have whatever name/s you wish and all files can be stored in one instead of two. I used two in an attempt to make the procedure clear. It goes without saying (but I will!) that all folders, including where TSM is finally installed, should NOT be in Program Files or Program Files (x86), if using Vista, Win 7 or Win 8.

B.If you've got the download version, AbacusTSM.exe (which will probably be v1.1) or if you've got the Help Update (AbacusTSMHelp.exe) or the Library (AbacusTSMLibrary.exe), they all use a 16-bit installer. The following procedure may be used to install them :
    1. Run the .exe file and when you get the message box "Unsupported 16-Bit Application" displayed - STOP - DO NOT click OK
    2. Go to C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Local\Temp
    3. Find a folder that's just been created - it'll have an odd name (mine is ~EXB0000) and in it you'll find a folder called DISK1
    4. Copy DISK1 to a safe place; if you have more than one .exe file to be installed, I suggest you rename it to reflect its contents.
    5. Now click OK on the "Unsupported...." message box and you'll see the original DISK1 folder disappear (but you've saved it, haven't you??!). Click to remove the subsequent boxes.
    6. Go to where you saved the new DISK1 folder and add setup32.exe (see the CD installation procedure, above) into it.
    7. Open the folder and run setup32.exe, as Administrator - the installation should continue normally.

There are two, relatively small, things which don't work - first is that when the installation is progressing, the message "Setup is creating icons" is displayed, but they aren't! Secondly, if you try to uninstall TSM or a part of TSM, it may not always work.

Cheers,
    Ged

Last edited by slipperman; 10-19-2013 at 05:34 PM.

The link above is not complete. Try the following:

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtop...ine.zip#p90280

Hi,
    I beg to differ.
    The only difference between your link and mine is that on yours, the Is3engine.zip link is highlighted ! Hardly worth doing, was it??

Cheers,
    Ged

Well, I can say that I'm impressed. I bought TSM in July of 2010, and never figured that out. This will really help. Thanks!
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
    calrouteprojectmstsorts.weebly.com/
    californiapacificrailroadorts.weebly.com/
    Cheers, S. J. Hjellum

Hi,
    Thanks! I hope it works for you!! I'm surprised nobody's sussed it out before, or maybe they have and just not published it!

I've had one report from a user who said they couldn't get it to work, but I suspect other forces may be at work on his PC.

Cheers,
    Ged

The original link posted, that was supposedly not complete, worked fine for me!

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi,
    I beg to differ.
    The only difference between your link and mine is that on yours, the Is3engine.zip link is highlighted ! Hardly worth doing, was it??

Cheers,
    Ged
    Hi Ged,

On reflection it wasn't worth doing.

I received an error (twice) when attempting that link. Had it worked for me, when I initially tried it, I would not have bothered to find the file and article by searching the site. When I saw that the link in my browser window was different from the one in your post, I posted what I thought was a correction to assist others.

I apologise if I offended you, that was not my intention.

Cheers,

Marek.

Hi Marek,
    It's all right, mate, no offence taken
    We all get these hiccups, sometimes!

Cheers,
    Ged

I have read this thread, and do not understand what I am reading.
    However, If this works, it needs to be kept and perhaps even sent to Abacus so that they can likewise implement this solution.
    I think it also needs to be sent to the UK site, so that they will have it as well.
    CMO

No point sending to Abacus. They no longer sell anything related to trainsim.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.