Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After Windows 10 update, OR v1.0 will not run.

Default After Windows 10 update, OR v1.0 will not run.

I have used Open Rails 09 and X2194 when I was using Windows 8 and 8.1. Then I upgraded to Windows v1.0 with no problems. Then last week (Nov 10,2015) Microsoft sent our an upgrade that installed itself upon boot up. After the upgrade I tried to run OR v1.0 and received a message "Open rails has stopped working". I tried using the Compatibility program and at the end it told me that OR v1. was incompatible with Windows 10. The day before the update it was just fine. I to attach the OpenRailslog.txt but it is too long and will not load.

Let me know how to send the file and I will send it.

I'd go back and see if any of the ORTS prerequisites of dotnet and xna frameworks were unloaded or hosed by the windows update process, and if missing, reinstall them.

Win 10. - Welcome, my friends, to the uncontrolled ride that never ends.

Zip the log and attach it to a post here. I don't know about working with the latest win 10 update as I have not received it yet.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

I'd heard about these 'auto updates' before I decided to upgrade to W10 (I did a lot of reading)

Anyone considering a the free W10 had better understand just what you are in for.

Microsoft rightfully so has configured your 'new' W10 OS to grab upgrades & patches 'on-the-fly' so to speak . . .IOW, it's a huge public beta release but of you do some reading you can 'take control' of your system.

It's the old story, if you want to live on the 'Bleeding Edge' when new anything is released to the public you'd better be prepared to take charge or you will be swept under with these so called 'uipdates' that you neither want or need.

Preventing W10 Automatic Upgrades.

Here is a site that I have been using often since I did my upgrade.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-...ading-updates/

When I first got my box (a desktop) back from the geeks it worked reasonably well but there were a few , well more than a few things I did not like. Intrusive BS running in the background for one.

Billyboy has made it tough to dig deep and dump crap I don't care for but it can be done IF, and that's a BIG IF my friends.
    Windows PowerShell has to be used and let me tell 'ya, this Powershell is DOS on steroids.
    You tell it to Delete Windows and it will do exactly that WITHOUT asking for confirmation so when you start tinkering be very careful!

Like I said, W10 out of thebox was OK but I ended up (had full drive backups ON HAND on a 2TB + 2 x 1TB external drives before I even considered the W10 upgrade. THIS IS ESSENTIAL for your sanity!

So I looked at the install of the Upgrade (which preserves all my old settings and tools) and decided NOT GOOD!
    And I wiped the system and did a 'Clean Install' . . . FIVE time until I got it working to my satisfaction . . . and NOW I have a screaming W10 sustem with ONLY the APPlications running that I WANT.

Yeah Billyboy, it runs good without you throwing crap at me I don't want.

It was mentioned in the verbage for the auto upgrade that trashed your system that folks who take it needed to realize they ARE in a TESTING mode, getting upgrades any time . . .Thank you ... NOT!

As I had applied the no upgrade fix from the site mentioned above I got the MESSAGE but not the upgrade! . . . Which I of course refused. So I use, and will continue to use the method provided at the above mentioned site until a stable OS (I figure another 6 to 9 months to get there) is ready.

Use the search bar at the top of your browser! If your looking to 'Tweak' Windows 10 simply type in a search argument starting "W10 . . . . . . ."
    Example: Typing this: w10 how do i delete unwanted start menu items gets you
    http://www.howtogeek.com/225654/how-...on-windows-10/
    and
    w10 move page file to different drive gets you
    http://www.download3k.com/articles/H....1-or-10-00430
    and so on.
    There are many articles on the net regarding Windows 10. It's all on the users to use a good search (google is my fav) engine and use it! You have questions about anything it's on you to use it and act on it IF you want a good running system.

Bottom line is if you don't take charge of your system at least during this 'Public Beta' period (my name for it) be prepared to be surprised . . . and probably highly pissed off too.
    regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 11-23-2015 at 12:20 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Bottom line is if you don't take charge of your system at least during this 'Public Beta' period (my name for it) be prepared to be surprised . . . and probably highly pissed off too.
    My Bottom Line:

Having got rid of the FREE WIN-10 update as soon as I have tested it, being shown what it has changed, I restored the NORTON GHOST Image of my WIN-7 Pro and that's how it will remain, until I can read thousands of comments from other Simulator users, having average hardware on their computers, that they are happy with it !

Hi,
    Vince : Your information is all good, but if the OP is reluctant, for whatever reasons, to mess around with his Windows 10 installation, it doesn't mean much to him!

I can assure rphilips that Open Rails runs quite happily under Windows 10. I shouldn't be surprised, as it's a modern program, but it also works if it's located in the Program Files (x86) folder and not set to run as administrator!

I suggest the reason for it not working is down to some missing elements, as suggested by geepster775, or maybe graphics drivers not correctly installed - I recommend downloading and installing the latest Win10 version from the appropriate manufacturer's website, and not to use the Microsoft supplied version.

Cheers,
    Ged

Just remember, "all shall be like tablets and phones". Those customers never cared when they have been force updated in the past, in fact, they often enjoyed it. So lets drag the PC culture there, too. If they don't like it, they can navigate the minefield of 21 tips and tricks.
    Last edited by geepster775; 11-23-2015 at 02:38 PM.

I decided to take the plunge into Win 10 a month ago and so far have no problems with the way it is working. Even some of my ancient win95/98 programs run happily in the environment. As I don't yet have the November Win 10 update I cannot say for certain if OR runs with that installed. Certainly with the initial Win 10 installation it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    I decided to take the plunge into Win 10 a month ago and so far have no problems with the way it is working. Even some of my ancient win95/98 programs run happily in the environment. As I don't yet have the November Win 10 update I cannot say for certain if OR runs with that installed. Certainly with the initial Win 10 installation it works fine.
    Download Windows Virtual PC and run it in compatibility mode for Windows 7.
    Download Windows XP.ISO and install the ORTS and fill it with Third Party S*** like default and addon msts c***.
    Last edited by Nels_Anderson; 11-24-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainz2004 View Post
    Download Windows Virtual PC and run it in compatibility mode for Windows 7.
    Download Windows XP.ISO and install the ORTS and fill it with Third Party S*** like default and addon msts c***.

If you are even halfway serious about attempting to join the Open Rails team, I suggest you spend some serious time in growing up a bit. Remarks like the one just above are about as useful as a chocolate teapot.
    Last edited by baldwin; 12-04-2015 at 06:02 PM.