Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: After Windows 10 update, OR v1.0 will not run.

Sorry. I am frickin' serious about joining the OR team.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainz2004 View Post
    Sorry. I am frickin' serious about joining the OR team.
    I think your being unable to type a post without some form of the F word deserves a quick update to my IGNORE LIST.
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

I just wanted to update everyone and say the problem has gone away. Friday, another Windows10 update was received after which I tried Open Rails v1.0, and it worked.

Someone at Microsoft was listening as I told my story and complained.

Thanks to everyone who listened to me and provided me with information and help. "Mission Accomplished"

For those interested in stopping automatic updates in Windows 10, here is how I do it (don't recall who/where I got this from):

"Turn off Windows Updates in Windows 10
    You can do this using the Windows Update service. Via Control Panel > Administrative Tools, you can access Services. In the Services window, scroll down to Windows Update and turn off the process. To turn it off, right-click on the process, click on Properties and select Disabled. That will take care of Windows Updates not being installed on your machine.

But since Windows is a Service now onwards, you have to keep your computer updated. To be able to install the next set of features or a newer build, you will require the earlier updates to be installed. That’s why if you use the above workaround, you will have to go to the Services and turn it on once in a while to download and update your copy of Windows.
    After you turn on the Windows Update service, when you open Windows Update in PC Settings, you will see a message that updates were not installed because computer was stopped. You will have to click on Retry so that all the available updates are downloaded and installed. This may take two or three “Check for Updates”. You will have to keep on clicking “Check for updates” until it says your computer is up to date. Then you can go back and turn off the Windows Update service until next time you feel you are free enough to spend time updating your copy of Windows 10."

I only do updates every few months and only after reviewing as many threads about the updates to make sure I don't get something that really screws up OR or FSX.

Note: I am not responsible for any user's issues with their system while trying modifications/changes.

Hope this helps.

Windows as a service...... That's like buying a Windows 7 or 8.1 automobile, getting it paid off and obtaining a clear title, and having the car maker come back and say we are upgrading your purchased car to an Uber taxi service, where parts of it now must be used to serve other people's needs. Like when your bandwidth (gasoline) is used to upgrade other people's devices that need upgrading to the same new 'Windows service'.

You know what they say, the tablet and (dumb?)phone culture already enjoys eating that turd sandwich every day. So lets put the same entree on the Personal Computer dinner menu, too.

I love it! Win10 a Turd sandwich!

Be sure to read up on how to prevent W10 from auto-updating, especially drivers which if allowed may cause MSTS and editors from operating. Be very careful tho' as Windows PowerShell will happily remove and or delete ANYTHING you tell it to!

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

can I tell it to delete Microsoft HQ.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

But... how else would the next person to share the OP's experiences register a complaint about his lousy and interrupted windows 'service' experienced for a good 3 weeks?

Sorry about waking an old thread.
    In my opinion use whatever OS is on the computer you purchased.
    And never change that OS on that computer.
    When you finally obtain a new computer that has win 10 on it,
    then you have just updated your OS at precisely the correct time.

BTW, if you are now in the market for a new computer then yes
    get one with Windows 10 (instead of searching for one with an older OS).
    But until you buy that new system, stick with your old OS.
    That's the one most of your present system hardware and software was designed to run on.

That's actually good advice - wait to upgrade Windows until you buy a new computer that comes with the newer version. I'd qualify it as: if you have what was a higher-end computer at the time you got it, and the Windows version you got it with is no more than 2 behind the Latest, you *can* upgrade if you want to, but unless you have other software or compatibility issues requiring the new version you'll probably be happier staying with the old one as long as it's supported at least for security purposes.

Oh, and btw, Open Rails and MSTS run fine in Windows 10 as well as 7 and 8, so again there's no NEED to upgrade unless you have other reasons, but nothing to stop you from upgrading if you want to.

Just for fun, here are some old jokes about what would happen ... If Microsoft built cars ...

* Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you'd have to buy a new car.
    * Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you'd have to restart it. For some strange reason, you'd just accept this, restart and drive on.
    * Occasionally, executing a maneuver would cause your car to stop and fail to restart and you'd have to reinstall the engine. For some strange reason, you'd just accept this too.
    * The airbag system would say, "Are you sure?" before going off.
    * If you were involved in a crash, you would have no idea what happened.