Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switches on Bridges

Default Switches on Bridges

Impossible to create, because the few Trackrules which have special tracks for placing on bridges have no special Bridge Junctions parameters and are best not placed, looking a mess !

Here is a work around Thomas Bontempo is using with my Mainline-Light for my SR-OTTO-TRACKS, lifting bridges to hide their gravel trackbeds, which looks as real as can be achieved in TS-2016.

Again I notice using the World Editor Paint Tool that it has been completely messed up by the recent updates to TS-2016 !

Something else not right with some bridges, Clearance for US locos !

I could tell from your first couple of screenshots that the bridge was a bit too narrow for two tracks. Seems a bit wide for one track, though. The method I used to confirm car clearance at the end of yard tracks was to stand outside the rail with my foot against it & stretch my arm out as far as possible to try to touch the adjacent railcar. If I could not reach, the track was clear enough to pass. I'm 6'3" with ample wingspan, so I would say minimum clearance would be 2-3 feet (1m is probably fair) beyond the ends of the ties. I wonder if bridges built for European routes are noticeably narrower than bridges built for US routes due to the difference in loading gauge?

Quote Originally Posted by tbundy1982 View Post
    I could tell from your first couple of screenshots that the bridge was a bit too narrow for two tracks. Seems a bit wide for one track, though.
    It is a US Truss bridge which has that type of floor, I can not find a wider one with a similar one !

Otto, just widen the bridge by 10% or so using the resizing funtion in the editor. There will be no need to reposition the bridge, the centreline of the bridge will remain aligned to the centre of the 6-foot.

Dumb question, but what structural engineer would ever put a switch on a truss bridge?...

That's a lot of lateral stress to be introduced to a a structure that isn't really designed or intended to have lateral stresses placed on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post
    Otto, just widen the bridge by 10% or so using the resizing funtion in the editor. There will be no need to reposition the bridge, the centreline of the bridge will remain aligned to the centre of the 6-foot.
    You mean the new SCALE function in the Editor, I was not aware that it can re-size an object !

Thanks for making me aware if it !

to eolesen

you might want to look at the open deck truss bridge at McKeesport (CSX)

use Google or whatever Ariel map
    Intel i7-6700k 4.0GHz 32GB memory, GTX TITAN X24GB 384-Bit PCI Express 3.0 SLI bridged Windows 10 Pro 64

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Dumb question, but what structural engineer would ever put a switch on a truss bridge?...

I have seen cramped prototypical situations where the frog of a switch was on solid ground on one side of a bridge, and the switch points were on solid ground on the opposite side, and both routes were maintained using gauntlet track across the bridge

Interesting, have never seen anything like McKeesport -- looks like the frog is over a pier, can't tell about the points. The piers would definitely absorb a lot of the movement.

The only times I've seen turnouts on a structure has been with something substantial underneath it (e.g. the ore docks in Michigan, Wisconsin & Minnesota), and never as a crossover because you'd have opposing lateral forces.
    Last edited by eolesen; 12-02-2015 at 03:21 PM.