Thread: Populating yards and sidings, globally, for all scenarios in a route

Question Populating yards and sidings, globally, for all scenarios in a route

I have several free roam scenarios in my West Colton, Cajon Pass, Mojave railroading route recently "polished" by Otto and made available on his web site.

Now. what I want to do is populate yards and siding throughout the route with a variety of rail cars and even locomotives with drivers for greater interest and realism. But as I investigate a good method of doing this, it seems that I must do it over and over and over again for each individual scenario. That is a lot of work.

Is there a way of doing this, globally so to speak, that applies to all scenarios with a single editing application?

That sure would be nice to do!

Bill Putnam

Quote Originally Posted by usnret View Post
    Now. what I want to do is populate yards and siding throughout the route with a variety of rail cars and even locomotives with drivers for greater interest and realism. But as I investigate a good method of doing this, it seems that I must do it over and over and over again for each individual scenario. That is a lot of work.

Is there a way of doing this, globally so to speak, that applies to all scenarios with a single editing application?
    Sorry, but there is no option to place loose consists and drivable locos globally in Scenarios, such a function having to check tracks first to make sure that there is no rolling stock on them
    already.

Another downside is that it would be boring to find the same rolling stock in the same locations in all Scenarios !

If it were possible to do that and you distribute your Scenarios again all users of them must have the rolling stock you have used too !

It is best to leave that to them to do, using rolling stock they prefer and have installed !

OK, Otto, I thought you would say something like that, but you do point to some good reasons not to have this feature.

Now, enjoy the rest of the Christmas season and a Happy and long life New Year!

Bill

Best way to do that in any trainsim is to make a "template" activity/session/scenario, load it up with loose consists, then when creating a new one you open the template, "save as" instead of "save" to create a new one with all the consists already placed. Delete some, place more, move some around for variety if desired.

Or set up a Quick Drive scenario, which can generate randomised AI traffic and static consists.
    Last edited by dpgibbons; 12-27-2015 at 03:39 AM.

Wow! I got some good answers here, which I will experiment with.

Thanks, guys and a Happy New Year to all of you!!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by usnret View Post
    Wow! I got some good answers here, which I will experiment with.
    The problem with all scenarios other than Freeroam and Standard ones is that only one player can be driven and they can not be edited !

In Career scenarios only programmed into them switching/shunting tasks can performed !

As Standard Scenarios in new DTG routes are becoming scarce there are only Freeroam scenarios which can do what I make them do !