Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh boy!

Exclamation Oh boy!

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showt...Trainz-Journey

I know that some people over there have incorrectly assumed the worst (like there not being any more patches), and on recent form, it's hard to blame people for this, but the initial post in that thread, and subsequent "official" posts, are clouded with the vagueness that has become an N3V trademark.

There are even some well-respected users (well, until now) coming out with rude and abrupt posts in N3V's defence, which is a big shame.

Not jumping to any premature conclusions here personally, just wondering if anyone has any idea whether buying T:ANE after all this "register your interest" nonsense, say next year, would result in downloading/receiving a DRM free version.

It also looks like if you do have the DRM-free version, starting T:ANE once with online enabled (to use the Download Station from within T:ANE for example), locks you into their online world, and the game is no longer classed as being DRM-free.
    This is the assumption from some in that thread, and I can see nothing said from official posts that discourage these thoughts.
    Surely, if it's DRM-free, then whether you've used it online or not, it's still DRM-free!

Someone in that thread (or possibly the thread asking for clarification) said that N3V's version of DRM-free is different to what DRM-free generally means in the gaming industry, and I'm trying to work out if that is the case.

In my experience, when a company makes an announcement, it has been talked about at some length at boardroom level prior to that, and omissions are not omissions at all, but carefully worded speeches designed to skirt around a subject they'd rather not make obvious.

I hope I'm wrong on all this, but once again, N3V are doing themselves no favours with their silence/avoidance on this.

I understand them wanting to move on to the next version.
    That was always on the cards, and they are a business after all.
    But it seems they've learned nothing about PR from the release of T:ANE, as even the announcement of the new version is buried in vagueness and the creation of misinformation.

For me, Trainz has always had the upper hand over the competition because of Surveyor, but if other companies come up with something equally user-friendly, I honestly don't know what their selling point would be.
    It's certainly not customer service.

Brian.

If N3V were as good at programming as they are at spin and denial, we would have the best ever train sim by now.

The new announcement has overtones of either the abandonment of Trainz Classics back to a mainstream product or when the promised upgrade to TS2009 morphed into the full price release of TS2010. Either way it seems company policy is to bury the past and move on to the next great idea.
    Vern.

Trouble is Vern, "the next great idea". Will probably be a bigger pile of sh*t, than the last one.

And how will it be financed?Another kickstarter perhaps--I got suckered in the last time but am definitely done with trains and will never buy any more trainz versions-I'll wait for DTGs UE4.

They (N3V) haven't indicated there will be a Kickstarter this time round though I'm sure judging by the official forum there would still be some queuing up to hand over money. Catching the drift of recent comments from Mr Hilliam it seems as if there is a certain admiration for the tablet "pay to play" business model so are they planning to turn Trainz into a kind of transport orientated Clash Of Clans? I hope not!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Trouble is Vern, "the next great idea". Will probably be a bigger pile of sh*t, than the last one.
    Very true Mike, but, the N3V fanboyz will be lining up to buy it, I can just see Tony Hilliam in the car showroom now upgrading his 2015 model for something newer......

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

If SP1 is the "fixed" version then the franchise is dead.

Worse one yet, even worse than 76401.

Slow loading, 8-10 FPS less than HF2, and the shadows are all screwed up.

Oh, it isn't N3V's fault, probably spiders in the computer.

At least MSTS and OpenRails work, on to activities in Buffalo.

Harold

Of course it's not N3V's fault, they can't duplicate the gripe on a Cray and the minimum spec computer they used for the original test exploded after 30 seconds. (It ran the game fine for 20 seconds, and that's all marketing needed.)

There are a series of posts about the screwed up shadows and the square shadow in the corner.

First there is denial that the problem exists:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post
    Interesting - we've tried all the same settings and get nothing like that. We cannot get that square texture at all, and while there is some separation at certain angles, the accuracy improves as you get closer.
    Are you restarting TANE completely after you change the shadow settings? In some shots the square shadow isn't there - any idea what camera position/movements causes it to appear?
    Other people post the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 2995Valliant
    I get the "square" shadow too. It also scrolls/cycles at certain points. It started happenning at some point around HF2 from memory. GTX970, latest drivers.

Anthony
    Oh geez, we are getting that problem:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam
    I was just running the ECMl Freightliner and got a snall corner of the shadow in the corner - only briefly though. If anyone can figure out what triggers this or stops it that would be fantastic. For those that are confused why we need the repro steps, the answer is that the progreammers can then go step by step through the process and with their debugging systems see what changes at the moment something changes (of something like that in layman's terms).
    Had hopes that there might be a playable Trainz.

But was right in my original assessment when they started Kickstarter, they couldn't pull a playable good game off.

Was there ever a really good version of Trainz? One that didn't make the user disappointed.

Too bad

Harold
    Last edited by hminky; 12-15-2015 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    Very true Mike, but, the N3V fanboyz will be lining up to buy it, I can just see Tony Hilliam in the car showroom now upgrading his 2015 model for something newer......

Cheerz. Steve.
    Hahahahahahahahaha, nice one Steve. Us BR boys are very cynical, buddy.

Or is that too worldly wise to be caught out more than once.

Take care,
    Mike.