Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Environment and color oversaturation

Default Environment and color oversaturation

Tinkering with reskins again trying to get blue to be blue instead of purple in the game;

On the right is the actual color, left is what it looks like in game at 7AM (0700 for you military grunt types, or 6 bells in the morning watch for us salty types) with the red way oversaturated.

Fiddled with the environment lighting in surveyor, found that (1) only one environment per route, it will let you edit a session instead of the route then ignore everything except whatever you had last time the route was saved, and (2) the color of the ambient lighting has no effect on the saturation. That's when I found that clicking on the sun preview and reducing the intensity of that, had the effects I was looking for;

Top is the default environment, bottom is with the ambient left alone and the sun turned down about halfway.

So apparently it's similar to the MSTS environment files, with ambient being ambient, and sun in Trainz doing the same thing the direct lighting in MSTS does. Wish I had known that 5 years ago, all the complaints about "cartoonish" graphics can be at least partially cured by turning down the sun settings when creating a new route. What I'd really like to find is a way to set different environments and sky textures for each session in the same route (TS2010, dunno anything about TANF other than all the griping I've read) but I suspect if there's a way to do that someone would have found it by now.

After playing with this longer, it appears the ambient light has little or no effect on the trains.

With the sun color red down about half and green - blue down to 2/3ds (or thereabouts) I have the ambient set for a match for the "Golden October" sky at noon.

And that's close to what I was originally looking for, a kind of indigo rather than that garish purplish blue.

Even tones down the unweathered repaints to a reasonable color.

Not sure why the red oversaturates more than the green and blue, might have something to do with being the lowest frequency on the visible color spectrum. I've noticed that in other games so it's not just Trainz that does it, but the solution seems to be just turn the red down a little more. Gotta run more tests, best solution is to find a sun color that's bright enough at mid day and doesn't have that poster paint look.

Try red 10 oclock and blue & green 11 oclock.

Lose the fog completely on all clock positions.

Thanks, I'll try the settings, but I gotta live with the fog since the visibility distance has to be at minimum to keep the framerates out of single digits. Without fog a 1000 meter visibility just looks weird.

No worries Jim, i just hate the damn fog.

Well that's rude, the fog always speaks well of you! Seriously, I got a 10 year old Dell that's been upgraded a few times so I meet or exceed the recommended specs for 2010/12 except for the CPU, which is the minimum Pentium D 3.4ghz. Did the same with MSTS back in the days of P3 and AMD Athlon systems, drop the visibility slider to minimum and crank up fog to hide the popup effect.

Well, here's what I get at 1600 with your settings;

Possibly a little too dark, I gotta mull it over a while and see if it grows on me.

Does look a bit dark in your screenie Jim.

Yup i used to use a lot of fog in TS12, because of the poor performance.

Do you think your locos look less garish though Jim, which i think is what you are trying to achievement.

Wink Dywedodd y niwl LLOEGR am byth

Red 12:00. green 2:00, blue 3:00 on the dials, this is at 10AM with those settings.

And don't get me started on performance/quality to horsepower required ratio, I'll be ranting until the next millennium.

Okay here we got 1:00 3:00 and 3:00.

Looks like this;

Apparently you don't have to turn it down much, but it does need a little less intense direct light than the default, with the red a little lower than the blue and green.