Thread: Microsoft Collecting More Data of Windows 10 Users than Initially Thought

Default Microsoft Collecting More Data of Windows 10 Users than Initially Thought

After several questionable data mining and privacy invasion features within Microsoft's latest operating-system, Microsoft ongoing convincing its customers that Home windows 10 isn't stalking anybody which the organization isn't collecting more data of computer needs.

Additionally, Microsoft also up-to-date its online privacy policy to be able to obvious when and how Home windows 10 utilizes users' data.

Hold on, before you decide to convinced yourself with this statement, just take a look around the key events (the following) that Microsoft lately introduced, revealing that Home windows 10 has become positively running on 200 Million products.

Microsoft Tracks Your Every Move
    Here's the list of milestones that Microsoft just achieved:

• People spent over 11 Billion hours on Windows 10 in December 2015.
    • More than 44.5 Billion minutes were spent in Microsoft Edge across Windows 10 devices in December alone.
    • Windows 10 users asked Cortana over 2.5 Billion questions since launch.
    • About 30 percent more Bing search queries per Windows 10 device compared to prior versions of Windows.
    • Over 82 Billion photographs were viewed in the Windows 10 Photo application.
    • Gamers spent more than 4 Billion hours playing PC games on Windows 10 OS.
    • Gamers streamed more than 6.6 Million hours of Xbox One games to Windows 10 PCs.

Maybe Microsoft listed these statistics in order to illustrate just how popular its newest operating system has become, but what the company missed is:

Microsoft itself admitted that how deeply it is tracking Windows 10 users.

First noticed by Martin Brinkmann of gHacks, these statistics clearly indicate that Microsoft is not only keeping itself updated about the Windows 10 installation on different devices but is also tracking every single activity of its users by collecting more data than initially thought.
    Playing a game? Microsoft tracks it.
    Asking Cortana a question? Microsoft tracks it.
    Opening Edge browser? Microsoft tracks it, too.

"While it is unclear what data is exactly collected," Brinkmann says, "it is clear that the company is collecting information about the use of individual applications and programs on Windows at the very least."

This is the actual dirty side of the free Windows 10 upgrade that we many times talk about, and with time, it will be more shocking to you because the most worrisome part of Windows 10 is that there's no easy way to turn this data collection off.

Swati Khandelwal
    hello!

Old news. Six months old, to be exact. Yes, Microsoft changed their EULA last August so they can sell data to advertising agencies and marketing companies. Same thing Google does, same thing Yahoo does, same thing Apple does, same thing Facebook does, same thing Verizon does, and all the rest. Microsoft apes what the other big corporations are doing. If you are losing sleep because you believe some Dr. Evil at Microsoft is watching your every mouse click and reading everything you type, best to shut down your pc, sell it, cancel your Internet service, and straighten the dents in your tin foil hat. The Windows 10 telemetry is "anonymized", for what that's worth, despite the endless rants to the contrary from the dedicated Microsoft haters. Corporations want to track what games you play, what programs you run, and what are your interests online so they can make a profit by selling the data in bulk. It's really just all about the money. Sadly, the US government does next to nothing to curb corporate invasions of privacy at levels like this, and I don't know if EU countries have it much better, either.
    Last edited by ftldave; 01-08-2016 at 12:38 AM. Reason: add txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

They sell the data they collect to advertising agencies and marketing companies so the advertising agencies and marketing companies can direct their ads to you and, based on your interests. They can't do that with anonymous data.

Joining and making one single post here just to spread FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) about Win10? Seriously?

Personally, I'd be concerned about clicking that tiny attached JPEG graphic. Files like that can be used to hide malicious trackers and triggers to other malware. I don't have time to check it myself, but it strikes me as potential mal-spam.

But... On a serious topic, your Web browser typically gives away far more about you than your operating system does.

Unless you use blocking software like Disconnect, NoScript and Privacy Badger, sites will set cookies and run scripts that are checked, tracked and acted on by advertising servers on the Web.

If you stay logged in to services like Google, or even worse, Facebook, you are being very specifically tracked. Google tends to keep their data in-house. Facebook is the worst -- all the personal information you enter there is for sale to advertisers or whoever else is willing to pay Facebook.

Of course Microsoft would like to track usage of their software. Anybody who makes a product would want to gain a better understanding of how that product is used, how popular it is, and what might need improving. Anonymous data is perfect for that purpose -- how the product is used is far more important than precisely who is using it. Microsoft doesn't particularly care that I used Windows 10 for 40 hours last year. It's far useful in demographics to know how many individuals in total used Windows 10 and for how long on average they did so. I'm just an arbitrary data point. Large numbers of data points form a trend that they can draw a useful conclusion from. Anonymization can actually help the signal-to-noise ratio in data collection.

The Microsoft usage reporting from Windows 10 metrics is kind of like the government census. Yes, it stems from each identified person, but the reports generated do away with the identifying bits because the reports are about various aggregated data -- not individuals. Individual identification is only used to ensure input valid input in the census (nobody is answering the survey twice). Microsoft is even less precise. They're more concerned about your computer as a data point than they are about you. In other words, they don't care if it's you at your keyboard, a family member, or even a script running that does things automatically. They just want to know that Windows 10 is being used, in what ways, and that it's not broken.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Codger View Post
    They sell the data they collect to advertising agencies and marketing companies so the advertising agencies and marketing companies can direct their ads to you and, based on your interests. They can't do that with anonymous data.
    I have not had any ads based on my interests thus far. I have had one about industrial turbines for some obscure reason though.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

As noted above, this is old news. Very old news. And as Eric noted MS is hardly the worst of the trackers, though with the others you do have a choice (can choose not to use Google - DuckDuckGo, for instance, works pretty well without tracking all of your searches). I would prefer that my computer's operating system have tracking dialed back to what it was under Windows 7, but that's not going to happen. So I use the preferences to dial it back to a dull roar, giving up (for instance) Cortana in the process because I really don't need Internet Search to be a function of the OS (have DDG for that). And yes, I use Firefox with NoScript. My tinfoil hat is in place but lightweight.

I have seen ads in some apps (like Solitaire and MahJongg), but hardly ever use them so it doesn't bother me. And that's expected; MS (like most game publishers) wants you to subscribe (monthly payment) so they nag you with ads hoping you'll pay up. PySol FC does everything the MS apps do and more, for free, and without ads. Free and/or open source alternatives are available for many applications under Windows, such as 7-zip and LibreOffice, and Firefox, which either don't track at all or make it easy to control. So rather than spreading FUD that is old news, how about providing examples of how to set things up so the tracking is transparent and controllable? And remember that there's a tradeoff; many features of the OS are actually separate apps that provide services in exchange for the tracking, and the information provided by the tracking actually does improve the service. If you choose to block the tracking the service won't work, or will work poorly. Cortana on my phone does provide a useful service in exchange for tracking, and over the couple of years I've had it has in fact improved the search results it provides probably, in part, because of that tracking. I just don't need that on my desktop, and would prefer a modicum of privacy there.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Codger View Post
    Sold telemetry data combined with browser cookies does the trick. But I do agree with you. "Anonymization" isn't worth much, as I clearly stated in my original reply, and some companies (like Verizon) aren't even claiming that much now. I started using browsers with the Do Not Track feature and Ad Block, and now I'm starting to see some web sites responding with "Turn Off Blocked Ads" pop-ups and their own blocks to prevent users who don't want 50+ ads streaming in on each and every web page.

And EricF is quite right about the original FUD post, a silly rehash of what has been discussed and argued all over the Internet. Like I said, if you are losing sleep about what the big corporations are doing, maybe better to shut down your computer and get a different hobby that doesn't require the Internet. I'm not that particularly fond of the internal combustion engine but I don't rant, rage, and complain about it ad nauseum online like the Microsoft haters do about Windows version whatever.
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Why is it silly for anyone to revisit just how dumb our population has become by gradually tolerating all this? So big corporations should get their way all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Why is it silly for anyone to revisit just how dumb our population has become by gradually tolerating all this? So big corporations should get their way all the time?
    Corporate executives and business managers are responsible for invasive, unwanted data collection, not the users. Put the blame where it belongs.

And surely it would be better to "revisit" this topic someplace other than a trainsim web site, move on to a political web site or someplace where business ethics is the subject at hand. The only thing that will change the behavior of a big corporation is the rule of law (and the risk of financial penalties) or the loss of profits. As Comcast and the rest show again and again, good will and customer service are low priorities. The first solution, control corporate behavior by law, is a political one, sure to spawn discussion outside the scope of trainsim.com, and rightfully so. Just as it's starting to creep that way here in this thread, it won't stay civil and will just make more people turn away from the site and lose respect for the hobby and for other train simmers.

And note that the original poster isn't revisiting anything, hasn't been back to post a single thing about the trainsim hobby, just this old Win10 write-up that's been widely discussed online since last summer.
    Last edited by ftldave; 01-13-2016 at 12:57 PM. Reason: add txt
    - FTLDave

Just when you thought you were safe with win7 and win8
    MS has been installing the same telemetry on win7 and 8

I have just removed 21 updates from my win7 that are to do with collecting information.
    I wrote a batch file if anyone is interested, pm me.

There is plenty of information if you search for "win7 telemetry"
    Cheers
    Derek