Thread: Too much Green

Default Too much Green

Hello, I hope there is a simple answer to this, but probably not. I did a search and nothing seems to address this.

Running on the Bala 2.0 route, as in many others, I am finding that the "Greeness" is too overwhelming. Can just a Patch of the main scenery be changed in Route Editor, or does selecting a new ACE file change everything in the route?

I have noticed that some routes, FRC for one, has great colouring for the base scenery, is that Google Mosaic? Here in Canada, that much green, as in this and other routes, is reserved for Golf Courses!

What I am asking is, can just an area be altered without affecting the whole route? If so how? If not, let's try something in between the all green and dirt & green. Any suggestions?

Thank You.

I would suggest getting in the RE, finding the names of the "offending" .ace files used for terrains that are too green, and simply editing them in a paint program of your choice. (if you have one?) I wouldn't think there will be too many in the Bala 2 route that would need editing.
    You can also try the same with the microtex file in small amounts. Maybe add more yellow/red, and subtract green. Could definitely make a difference - but to all non "grass" files as well. But if nominal, may be worth playing around with.
    One microtex file vs. possible many .ace files used for grassy terrain?
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

In Bala 2, there is one Microtex file and one Terrain file, plus a couple of thousand Mosaic files.

Which one(s) would I look at for the main Green Grass colouring? or will it just show up in RE?

I guess some experimenting is in store. Yes I have Photoshop Elements.

I have looked at some of the Tutorials, but they all seem to do it from scratch and I am having a hard time trying to find a point where it applies to redoing a colour.

That's somewhat the problem with Bala 2 in that so much has been done with Mosaic to add track bed and such to the terrain. Whereas other MLT routes relied mainly on two to five swatches throughout. Best I can advise is to edit the certain act's to run in different seasons other than Summer, and see if that helps. Other than that, you'd have to convert each terrain ACE to BMP, use a Paint/Photo editor to fool with Hue/Saturation levels, and reconvert back to ACE and overwrite.

Right, mosaic kind of "locks you in" if it has some of that one terrain file as part of the edited, final mosaic file. Try messing with the microtex file like I mentioned above. I have done it many times, and even just a small color and/or saturation edit makes a noticeable difference.
    Neil

Thank you both, what program is necessary to edit the Microtex file?

I have all the regular ones, TGA et al, plus Photoshop.

Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, anything along those lines.
    Neil