Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CNW Chicago Division Progress - 2016

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    Rochelle?
    Sure looks like !
    Ron K of Rockford

It looks like it could be Rochelle but I always thought the "Race Track" referred to the Chicago to Aurora portion.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rockislandfan View Post
    It looks like it could be Rochelle but I always thought the "Race Track" referred to the Chicago to Aurora portion.

Ron
    Yes Ron, the "Race Track" does refer to the triple track main extending from Chicago to Aurora/Eola where the Galesburg & Aurora subs split and go their separate ways. In my many years of railfanning Chicago, I can't recall if there is a double track junction where the UP & BN/BNSF crossed. In any case, this is a route that's looked forward to!!
    Ron K of Rockford

"In my many years of railfanning Chicago, I can't recall if there is a double track junction where the UP & BN/BNSF crossed"

I'm confused by what you mean - Rochelle is a double track junction; both railroads, yes?
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

I'm referring to Josh's route name -- I'm not a BN/BNSF fan, so apologies on not knowing their subdivisions or nicknames...

Yes, Neil, it's double track for both railroads, and has been since the CB&Q days.

The current plan is to have a mile or two of track on both sides of the Rochelle diamonds for BN traffic to run as AI.

The stated era for the CNW Chicago was 1970ish, with a few accommodations for those who want to run 1990's CNW or almost-current day UP.

So, there are already placeholder tracks at Global I and Global II for those who want to run intermodals, and I'll include track at Global III in Rochelle.

What won't be there on the West/Geneva/Clinton subs is the yard at Elburn. That didn't open until 2006.
    Last edited by eolesen; 06-19-2016 at 10:42 AM.

I'm telling you, when these routes are finally finished...someone's going to have to resuscitate me. To finally be able to run around the Chicago area will be such a gem.
    Neil

I hear in Chicago, there is so much track and different railway companies, that entire trains have been lost and can't find them, lol.
    Rory

"In my many years of railfanning Chicago, I can't recall if there is a double track junction where the UP & BN/BNSF crossed"

I'm confused by what you mean - Rochelle is a double track junction; both railroads, yes?
    Come on Neil, I said "Chicago"; I know perfectly well what the jct is in Rochelle which is 70 plus miles from Chicago !
    Ron K of Rockford

Neil

Talking

You're forgiven !
    Ron K