Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Phosphate

OK maybe i can remove the E7 and E8 for add in a ACL secondary passenger pack and add the E6

That Black E6 that was parked in Denver way back then is the same E6 that was later painted in the ACL Purple scheme but I don't know the whole story on that.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rockislandfan View Post
    That Black E6 that was parked in Denver way back then is the same E6 that was later painted in the ACL Purple scheme but I don't know the whole story on that.

Ron
    Looking at the historic photo's of the E6's, rather than the many newer pictures of the restored ones, it would seem that the Black and Yellow liveried loco's ran at the same time as the Purple and Silver. Anyone who has "Classic American Railroads - Volume III" by Mike Schafer can see that ACL seemed to run any motive power they could cobble together. The one thing ACL trains weren't (in 95% of the photos I can find) is smart! Well weathered and obviously worked hard. There are many Black and Yellow E6's on Rail Picture Archives but these are the best examples of Purple and Silver when they actually worked.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=2384388

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=2384401

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=2384417

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=2384424
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

From a color photo caption in the very FIRST combined issue of Railfan & Railroad Magazine, May 1979, on the inside cover:

"Atlantic Coast Line E3 501, built in 1939 and partially upgraded to an E6 in the late 1940's, is the oldest and highest-mileage EMD E-unit in existence. Traded to GE in 1970 by the SCL, 501 was bought by R. McKinley and moved to Denver Union Station. Two years ago 501 was bought by railfan Glenn Monhart of Chicago, a Service Engineer for EMD. Fired up and photographed in November 1978, the 501 is nearing serviceable status as restoration work continues. Monhart plans to move the 501 to the Midwest, repaint her into ACL purple colors and, hopefully, put her into some form of railfan excursion service."

I have an issue of "Lines South", the SAL/ACL historical society magazine, probably from 1999, that has a pretty full story about 501's donation to the State of North Carolina. Unfortunately, that one issue is lost around the house. When I locate it, I'll provide the relevant information about it's history.

I'm pretty pumped about the upswing in interest in the SAL/ACL/SCL too!

Geoff, rrpicturearchives.net is down at the moment so I can't view your links, but the ACL purple and silver livery was standard from 1939-1957. In 1957, the black and yellow scheme was introduced and became the dominant paint scheme in a few years. It probably took them all of 10 years to repaint everything, so a mix of colors would be common for awhile. I have no photo evidence to share, but it's quite possible that a (dirty) purple engine would have lasted through the SCL merger.

Tyler

The ACL adopted the black with yellow striping livery in 1957, and it took about 5 years to repaint everything. But there was an exception. The ACL had a subsidiary called the Columbia, Newberry and Laurens, and they had 5 geeps which were painted ACL purple. These units ran all over the ACL, and 4 of these were still in ACL purple in 1966. One unit, CN&L #102, was in ACL purple until February 1967 - less than five months before the merger!

Quote Originally Posted by gbel2001 View Post
    OK maybe i can remove the E7 and E8 for add in a ACL secondary passenger pack and add the E6
    Has this project ever been completed?

AJ