Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee Road, Coast Division, First Sub.

Cool Milwaukee Road, Coast Division, First Sub.

Colleagues,

As you know, Simon Van de Laak sent me his route to finish, actually two of them. I went ahead and fluffed
    out the Virginian to include all known branches west of Mullins, Wv and when I get back to it, I will be making
    a number of coal mines and trestles.

Simon had completed the scenery as far as Thorpe, WA on the NP and about the same point on the Milwaukee
    Rd. I went ahead and competed the highway through the upper Yakima Canyon which runs on the north side
    of the river along with the NP. I also completed the highway through the lower canyon. So attached are a
    few progress images. Note that the first Yakima River crossing, as well as the Milwaukee Rd. bridge over the
    NP were installed and detailed by Simon, although I fabricated the bridge over the NP from Google Earth
    measurements of the still existing bridge.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)EBURG01.jpgEBURG02.jpgEBURG03.jpgEBURG04.jpgEBURG05.jpg

Thank you for sharing. Always good to see progress.
    Christopher

Jerry, this post prompted me to enquire.....do you have any idea of what happened with Lukas and the MILW project he was completing a couple of years back?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Unhappy Lukas??

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Jerry, this post prompted me to enquire.....do you have any idea of what happened with Lukas and the MILW project he was completing a couple of years back?
    No, sadly I don't know. He has not answered E-mails in several months. His only physical problem that I know of was
    that he was discovered to be type I diabetic about 4 years ago, but his wife is a high-end nurse so I figure she can
    make a pin-cushion out of him if the need arises. I have the route he was working on, and it was in Beta Test, lacking
    only a little here and there, so if he doesn't release it in another year or so, I'll add it to my bucket list.

I also know that he has many irons in the fire, professor of law at the local university, editor of a German aviation magazine,
    and he and Fiorenza like to travel a lot, and hike a lot more. She had some back problems a few years back, but I thought
    that had largely been corrected.

So I hold them in my prayers.

J. H. Sullivan

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    No, sadly I don't know. .........So I hold them in my prayers.

J. H. Sullivan
    Yeah...it's unsettling when someone just drops out of sight like that.
    I hope that everything is fine with them.

Thanks for the reply, Jerry.

Regards,
    Bruce
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Cool Furthere Progress

Colleagues,

Simon found that the HiV lines were on the opposite side of the track from the substation at S. Cle Elum
    but further east, they were on the same side (i.e. north side). Further research revealed that the lines
    evidently crossed over the track when they crossed over the ridge over the 2nd tunnel.

So here are a few progress images. The first is at a spur that is about the furthest west that Simon
    had detailed the route. A mile or so further west, we enter the upper canyon of the Yakima R. (at least
    that is what it is, I'm not sure what it is actually called). There are two tunnels, across the base of two
    sharp bends in the river, and the last image (of 4) is of this tunnel. Note that the power lines climb to
    the top (and over) the ridge. Since the top of the ridge is not visible from a train, we used some
    "simmers license" in making the sharp turn necessary in the power line.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)EBURG101.jpgEBURG102.jpgEBURG103.jpgEBURG104.jpg

Jerry, Do you have any updates on Lukas A Lusser's work on the RMD_West? I had asked for a Beta test copy but never heard anymore about it.

Edit, Should have read the first half of the discussion. I hope all is well with Luke and he can continue with the RMD_West. With ORTS at the point it is these routes should run so much better in ORTS vs old slow MSTS.

Robert
    Last edited by NW 2156; 04-30-2016 at 08:12 PM.

Robert,

It has been nearly a year since I heard anything out of Lukas. My position is that if he doesn't release the route in
    the next several months, I may complete it myself. It already had signals etc. and so was a usable route as-is but
    could use some tweaking/detailing of some of the towns east of Missoula. At one location, he used a slip switch
    for a house track exiting off a siding, with a crossover, and I had to giggle a bit about that, as that would be the
    typical European method, but a big no-no over here. Since signals are in place, I would not attempt to fix that.

J. H. Sullivan

Cool Imagery & imagination around cle elum, wa

Colleagues,

A couple of images to show the environs of Cle Elum. Simon Van de Laak tended to skip around in detailing the
    route and so Cle Elum is already done, as well as the Roslyn Branch of the NP which served some coal mines to
    the northwest of Cle Elum. Simon used Mosaic to create the yard texture here and used it extensively in other
    places, so this route will be a large one when complete. Track, roads, and the catenary plus high voltage lines
    along the Milwaukee Rd. are done. Tunnels are detailed west of Thorpe and the high tension line properly
    crosses over a ridge, through which the railroad tunneled, to change sides of the track. This will be my last
    update until early June. On May 20, we leave for a HS graduation in Houston, TX and the, with the graduate,
    my grandson, we will continue to New Mexico and ride the Cumbres & Toltect Scenic. There is a pretty good
    rendering of the CATS rolled back 80 years or more to D&RG days, in the library. We will be back in Jacksonville
    on May 30, but then my wife has surgery scheduled at Mayo Clinic on June 3. Female surgery, the result of
    having a baby by the forceps method - baby is now 40 years old herself and my beloved "step" daughter,
    though never introduced as anybody other than my daughter.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)cle_elum01.jpgcle_elum02.jpg

Jerry, I hope you have a grand trip and your wife's surgery is easy. That mosiac work looks good!
    It is indeed too bad that you cannot take the Sunset Limited to your graduation.
    Christopher