Thread: MSTS Route Editor/Activity Editor Not Functioning

Default MSTS Route Editor/Activity Editor Not Functioning

Hello, I have read and followed all the instructions I could find for properly installing and using MSTS.

I am Running Win 10 Home, and using Open Rails to run activities, I do NOT use MSTS to run.

All I want out of this is to be able to use RE and AE in the MSTS files. When I select the "Train Simulator Editors and Tools" the computer just hangs and thinks about it. I just did a New re-install from the two discs with no issues and the RE & AE still do not function. All the instructions from Steam4Me were again followed exactly.

Activities have no problem running, I get 28-40fps on some big routes, Horseshoe for example. So running activities is not a problem. Yes I downloaded the app MSTS Swap, is that what I should use in this case?

I am at a loss for the editors. Is there a way to extract them from any of the installed files and place them in their own folder?

The editors are part of train.exe which also runs the game.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Hi Don6218,
    You need to ensure that train.exe (or launcher.exe if you use that!) is set to "Run as administrator".

You can use my MSTS_Swap (which uses train.exe), but it won't solve your problem as it still requires the above.

As you run activities using Open Rails, it doesn't use either train.exe or launcher.exe.

Also, thanks to Mike B's post on Elvas Tower, make sure you've installed DirectX 9.0c into Windows 10.

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 04-29-2016 at 09:13 AM.

Thank you all, I will have a look at my DirectX and see if that is what I may need.

Have you checked the registrym to make sure all the MSTS entries ARE there?

Rich

Ok, so today I am using the MSTS Swap function, it loads and brings up the Editors screen. When I select the route editor, I get this screen coming up:
    AAA MSTS Editors.jpg

What exactly is this pointing to? I have X-Tracks installed and the Track Data is in place. I did an internet search and looked here, but no luck.

There are no missing sections in the route, MLT GTA, but now this comes up. Any ideas what that ".SMS" refers to?

Thank You.

p.s.: Yes all my shortcuts are correct and permissions are there.

Hi Don6218,
    It seems that the selected route either doesn't have a ttype.dat file, or it is corrupted. It should be in the route folder.

Alternatively, but unlikely, it could be that one, or some, of the required track sms files are missing. These will be in the global SOUND folder.

If the ttype.dat file is not missing, try opening it in NotePad; you should see a list of sms files - check that these are present in the global SOUND folder.

Another thought - if you have edited the ttype.dat file, for any reason, and not saved it as a Unicode file, it could cause this problem.

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 04-29-2016 at 07:20 PM.

Thank you, Ged. That is what I found, a couple of corrupted files.

I also found one missing file for some database. Not sure which one now, old age! But it is working! Yeah!

************************************************** **************************************

My memory is terrible, there are some "Keyboard" shortcuts to move and place objects and alter terrain in the RE instead of using the mouse. By any chance do you know what does what?

I did a search, but to no avail, just ones with "no mouse in RE" and some with it not functioning or loading.

Thank You
    Last edited by Don6218; 04-29-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Hi Don6218,
    Click the Help tab at the top of the Route Editor screen and have a look at the Route Editor Quick Tour.

After clicking on Help, click on Contents and Index. If you get a message "There was a problem running a macro (1037)" just click OK. Now click on Route Editor and you should see a list of topics.

Cheers,
    Ged