Thread: Decompressing World Files

Default Decompressing World Files

I am trying to install YardCam4.0 in the Pocahontas Route. That utility will not decompress the world files. I tried Route Riter vers 7.6.26 for XP, Vista, and 7. That also would not decompress the world files. Both utilities have worked fine with other routes. My OS is Vista Ultimate, 32bit. Is there another way or utility to decompress world files.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Rich

The very first thing to do ( and I assume you already have done this ), is, when installing a Route , as soon as installed, is to send it through the first 3 steps, on the first Tab of Route-Riter, mostly to ensure your Route is now fully "Read/ Write" .

As far as RR being unable ( for some users ), to decompress world files, you are not the only one . '-)

While there are other ways to decompress world files, one "never fail" method, although "manual", is to open the Route in Route Editor, and one tile at a time, plant such as an additional tree ( world object ), anywhere on that one tile , and then "Save".

As soon as you will "save" this new RE entry, your world file becomes automatically decompressed .

Repeat as necessary, and focus on Tiles which do have trackage over those.

Before installing such as this Yard Cam 4.0, as always recommended ( and this time, perhaps more, than others ), is to ensure you have a full Route backup, before installing it . If installing such Yard Cam 4.0, "results cannot be guaranteed" .

Jean Brisson Route Builder
    Last edited by bcrailfan; 05-04-2016 at 05:59 PM.

You can also use the uncompress utility that comes with MSTS... ffeditc_unicode.exe

In the directory where this resides, create a batchfile that looks like this:

Code:
    set /p findme=Enter Path without the World: 

for %%F in ("%FINDME%\WORLD\*.w") do (

FFEDITC_UNICODE.exe %%F /o:%%F

)

I thank you both for your help. Doing it manually works, but would not be time effective.

I am not familiar with creating batch files. Photo shows how far I got. I could not find a way to end or save it, or run it. Will have to read up on it and try again.

Again I thank you for your help.

Rich

[IMG][/IMG]

Zipper can be used to decompress/compress world files. Drag and drop any number of *.w files into the program window.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 05-05-2016 at 03:08 PM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Gerry:
    Thank you ever so much!!! Quick, easy, simpl;e !!!!

Have been using Archibald for years, never thought of using Zipper.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Rich

I've always wondered what the advantage of compressed world files is? Just to save HD space? I've never noticed any difference in performance..
    Jim

Hi Jim:
    I would say the only advantage now is to save space & time when up\downloading. Computers are a lot better today than 15 years ago. After downloading a route I usually install YardCam4.0 but don't compress the files afterward. Like you I don't see any difference in performance, unless the difference is measured in nano seconds.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD369 View Post
    Gerry:
    Thank you ever so much!!! Quick, easy, simpl;e !!!! Have been using Archibald for years, never thought of using Zipper.
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Rich
    Rich, you're very welcome, glad it helped.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.