Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading WIN-7 64-bit to WIN-10

Default Upgrading WIN-7 64-bit to WIN-10

Having nothing else Computiing to do this weekend and some of my friends having problems running their Freeware routes in WIN-10, I decided to bite the bullet again and install this update a second time while it is still FREE !

In between have helped a neighbour to learn how to use his new WIN-10 laptop which would not print to his True-Type printer and learned a few things in the process !

First of all took another Norton Ghost-15 Image of my WIN-7 Drive C:\ and stored it on another internal SSD drive. Then started the WIN-10 update from Microsoft, installing slowly, taking some time, telling me to "Feel free to use my computer" !

WIN-10-UPDATING.jpg

So I am, posting this here in the TS-RW Forum and browse the WEB while I am waiting for it to finish !

Next I shall check whether there is a WIN-10 driver update for the nVidia GT640 my computer is now using and all other WIN-7 hardware and AVAST used by the Internet is still working as it was, I expect, some 32-bit software using (x86)-WOW !

Then shall take another Norton Ghost-15 Image of the installed WIN-10 and it still doing that in WIN-10, I hope, like it did when WIN-10 was released first and I tried it, I shall turn OFF its UAC, like it is now in WIN-7, Norton Ghost having done the best job protecting my computers for years !

Next will come to make WIN-10 look and work as well as my WIN-7 desktop computer does, using its CLASSIC interface and always having my BT Home Hub router turned off when running any software which does not have to be connected to the Web in order to work and also AVAST, which has a habit of still interrogating what the i5 QUAD does, slowing other running processes down slightly.

http://www.howtogeek.com/223728/bring-the-windows-7-start-menu-to-windows-10-with-classic-shell/

Restarting the computer from cold to let all of its RAM drain any data still stored in it which is no longer being used by any program still running, I do frequently when working in TS-2016 to avoid getting dumped to the Desktop, it not always removing all the data it has used when finished editing it !

My accounting software has been doing that since MSDOS, to clear the then limited RAM to make room for Dynamic Arrays, my programs needed to create at Run-Time !

Anything not the way I want ? More hacking until it does !

All this will keep me busy over the weekend, giving me a new challenge, I need to keep my brain and me alive and shall report my progress as and when, other Train Simulator users could perhaps also learn from ?

As I expected, a total disaster trying to install WIN-10 and make it work for what I need Windows for in Computing.

Installed allright, retaining the looks of my WIN-7 Pro desktop, but has made many changes, too many to mention the average Windows user would understand, not using it the way I need for what I am doing in Computing !

Restoring my Norton Ghost-15 Image of WIN-7 again, all its drives File Tables had to be checked again before WIN-7 would load, but all was back then the way it was.

MICROSOFT are full of tricks to get their way and I shall never again trust them with whatever they release !

Sorry Thomas and Bill, I shall have to try to sort out your problems running your routes the hard way !

Otto,
    The major problem of going from WIN 7 to Windows 10 is all of the Drivers that you have change and then where to find then. I gave up just like you did. When you find a driver you don't know if it will function properly. It is no easy task. I applaud you effort though. All the best.
    HP Omen Obelisk Desktop, i7-8700, GeForce RTX 2080, Windows 10 Pro

Dave Horton
    North Las Vegas, NV

Hi Dave !

Having had a night's good sleep after yesterday's stressful efforts to install the Free WIN-10 Update on my WIN-7 computer, I remembered that there is an option to Dual-Boot WIN O/Ss on a WIN-7 computer.

Looked at what is required I am now downloading the WIN-10 Microsoft ISO for one of my NTFS Memsticks, have M$ make it bootable and then install it into a new 40Gb partition on one of me SSD drives.

Dual-booting into WIN-10 is said to let me use my WIN-7 partitions drives as they are, which work perfectiy running everything installed into their partitions.

My pal Mike Simpson did that to start with and I too can then test how all my installed into WIN-7 64-bit programs will perform in WIN-10 64-bit, also using the nVidia GT640 card, many have reported not working last year after having installed WIN-10 !

So far I have been able to force Windows and software running in it to do what I want and look forward to perhaps being able to do it again with dual-booting ?

Take care, Otto.

Another cool thing is Stardock Start10 which makes Win 10 run with an old fashioned Win 7 interface. They also make Start8 which does that for Windows 8.1. It only costs $5 and saved my sanity as my laptop works with a Win 7 interface, no charms or other silly metro looking desktop. The whole GUI is like Win 7 as you run Win 10.

Stardock:
    http://www.stardock.com/products/

Hi Otto,
    Good thought. I actually forgot about that option. I will watch how you do and might give it a go myself. At the moment I am waiting for my Replacement EVGA 970 Graphics Card to arrive on Wednesday. My old one developed Coil Whine. EVGA replaced the card without any question. Great Company that has outstanding Customer Support. All the best.

Dave Horton
    North Las Vegas, NV

My experience converting WIN 7 to WIN 10 was very different than your experience. WIN 10 install did it all for me, located needed drivers, installed same an all aps worked the same they worked in WIN 7. Sorry you had problems.

Whilst it is simple to install Windows 10 over Windows 7 and be up and running in less than an hour, the problem is getting the settings correctly sorted.

Microsoft want to know everything you type. Microsoft want your location. Microsoft want to know who you contact. Microsoft wants to install updates for whatever it wants, whenever it wants. Microsoft wants to target advertising aimed at you. Microsoft wants you to buy "Office". Microsoft will automatically change your choice of default apps. Microsoft will allow all its apps to run all the time. Microsoft will do anything it can to get you to use Edge.

The easiest way to take initial control of Windows 10 is to do it during installation.
    When you get to the "Get Going Fast" screen it is essential that you do not click on "Use Express Settings". Instead, click on the tiny "Customise Settings" located in the bottom left.

After all those setting are sorted out correctly, and Windows 10 is installed, it is then reasonably easy to take further control. These include removing shortcut arrows, changing Title Bar color, Also editing the excellent Start Menu - which, when correctly adjusted is far superior to anything that has gone before.

There is one program that you need to make the vast majority of changes required to Windows 10 and that is Ultimate Windows Tweaker 4 for Windows 10, from: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultima...r-4-windows-10

In addition 10AppsManager is also very useful: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/10appsmanager-windows-10
    ..as is ClassicShell: http://www.classicshell.net/

There is absolutely no need to pay for any software to make Windows10 adjustments - unless you wish to donate.

With these installed and working it is simple to get Windows10 to look and generally behave like Windows7, and indeed earlier versions of Windows

However, nobody should just install Windows10 without doing a great deal of research and planning.
    Research all the changes you need to make whilst installing and research and prepare the programs I have mentioned above.

I have, after a couple of false starts, got a very nice Windows10 installation that has all its advantages, but none of the disadvantages. It is basically a "Super Win7".

The only problem I had is that a couple of very old Windows 95 programs that I had got working in Windows7 64-bit (with a bit of hacking), finally gave up the ghost with Windows10.

Finally, I have found that it can sometimes be easier to install Windows 10 onto a clean Drive, and then re-install everything from your Windows7 computer.

Quote Originally Posted by alamoman View Post
    My experience converting WIN 7 to WIN 10 was very different than your experience. WIN 10 install did it all for me, located needed drivers, installed same an all aps worked the same they worked in WIN 7. Sorry you had problems.
    Same with me. Windows 10 installed without a hitch. But then, I started having troubles with Otto's route downloads, which he is looking into if he ever gets Windows 10 installed in a dual-boot mode. He can then compare between routes in both operating systems in an attempt to pin-point problems.

Bill

I think it also has to do with how old your Computer is. My Laptop had no problems installing Windows 10. My Desk Top well it is quite old and the Drivers for my system were almost non existant.

Dave Horton
    North Las Vegas, NV