Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading WIN-7 64-bit to WIN-10

Quote Originally Posted by dphorton View Post
    I think it also has to do with how old your Computer is. My Laptop had no problems installing Windows 10. My Desk Top well it is quite old and the Drivers for my system were almost non existant.
    Perhaps you need a birthday or Christmas gift of a new computer!

See how easy it is for me to have someone else spend money!

Regards,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by dphorton View Post
    I think it also has to do with how old your Computer is. My Laptop had no problems installing Windows 10. My Desk Top well it is quite old and the Drivers for my system were almost non existant.
    It also depends if you waited for Windows to say your Desktop was ready for the upgrade, or you forced the installation.
    I waited for Microsoft to decide. All computers were running Windows7 - Main computer was immediate, oldish Netbook was about three months after launch, and my old Internet computer was upgraded about a month ago. It has taken a long time to prepare drivers for all situations -and some will never be done

Had a go at downloading what was supposed to be an ISO of WIN-10 to my 18GB flash drive and after downloading the tool to make it bootable, it could not as there was no ISO file to be found and the Setup.exe which was on the Flash drive wanted to install it without giving an option to install it into the new 40GB Primary partition. The BIOS also failed to show the Flash drive as a boot option.

Aborted and am thinking of getting its DVD, if M$ can confirm that I can install WIN-10 into the new Dual-Boot partition and use all of what there is in the WIN-7 drives.

I got Windows 10 Home 64 bit not much longer after it first came out. Upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Edition. Have no issues with it and now runs better after the Windows 10 upgrade in November. Only driver I had problems with getting was Intels Rapid Storage Technology one but, found the right one through MS forums. I run it more or less bog standard and don't get paranoid if MS is spying on me or wants to know my location. TS2016 runs sweet with no issues.

I used the Media Creation Toolx64 to download Windows 10 and put it on a USB stick and instelled it from that with no issues.
    Last edited by Flybyme; 05-07-2016 at 09:41 PM.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 960 Strix OC 2gb graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD. Computer Gamer Since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by Flybyme View Post
    . I run it more or less bog standard and don't get paranoid if MS is spying on me or wants to know my location. TS2016 runs sweet with no issues.
    It is not a question of paranoia - it is a question of who controls what is installed on your computer, and what programs run on your computer, and how your computer behaves.

If you are happy for Microsoft to run programs on your computer that monitor every action you make, using computing power - fine.
    If you are happy for Microsoft to install and run programs they decide are "useful" on your computer - fine.
    If you are happy for Microsoft to decide on your settings for your computer - fine.
    If you want advertising on your computer - fine.

That is what Microsoft say they will do, and they make no secret of it.

I decide what software is installed and runs on my computer. That includes Media Player, Internet Browser, Search Engines, Contacts, etc.
    Why let anyone install a load of junk that I, and most people will never use? Why let unwanted programs run in the background using my CPU and memory? Why give my AV extra work to do checking all these unwanted files?

My Computer, My Choice - not Microsoft's.

Good for you then.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 960 Strix OC 2gb graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD. Computer Gamer Since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by colinjgreen View Post
    It is not a question of paranoia - it is a question of who controls what is installed on your computer, and what programs run on your computer, and how your computer behaves.

If you are happy for Microsoft to run programs on your computer that monitor every action you make, using computing power - fine.
    If you are happy for Microsoft to install and run programs they decide are "useful" on your computer - fine.
    If you are happy for Microsoft to decide on your settings for your computer - fine.
    If you want advertising on your computer - fine.

That is what Microsoft say they will do, and they make no secret of it.

I decide what software is installed and runs on my computer. That includes Media Player, Internet Browser, Search Engines, Contacts, etc.
    Why let anyone install a load of junk that I, and most people will never use? Why let unwanted programs run in the background using my CPU and memory? Why give my AV extra work to do checking all these unwanted files?

My Computer, My Choice - not Microsoft's.
    Unfortunately we live in a rapidly changing world. Very soon control of your computer by some other entity won't be the only thing controlled.

My refrigerator won't open the door until the weight sensor shows I lost another 10 pounds.

I have to admit Norton Ghost did a great job for me a few years back when I swapped out my hardrive for a larger one. Made the new one bootable and with the C: drive, no problem. The old original smaller one became the auxiliary drive (for flight and train sim). I think this would work fine for a SSD drive replacement of mechanical drive.

A lot of company cars have GPS tracking devices in them so your bosses can know where you are.