Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dekosoft BNSF Mainline Power

Those of us with a foot in the RW-TS20xx camp as well, have been flogging this problem since it first reared its head. If a company like Dovetail with major financial backing and the personal approval of the current UK Prime Minister (who I believe has visited at least a couple of times) cannot or will not take on BNSF over the issue, there's not much chance for the little guys.

However... N3V and indeed 3DTS with Run 8 seem to be either ignoring or taking a chance by happily selling BNSF trademark items. I believe DTG have started working round by putting out locos and rolling stock in a generic livery similar to BNSF or their predecessor companies and without any logos. And this isn't a new thing by any means, as many of the UK Train Operators have refused to allow their trademarks to be used in the sim - as attested by the fictional liveries applied to the DTG Class 390 Pendolino electric units, instead of the correct Virgin livery.

And of course, strangely enough, there's nothing to stop me travelling to a model railway shop selling American items (or ordering on line from the US) and purchasing any number of BNSF etc. liveried items!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Silly it may be, BNSF will only license products for sale in countries where they have their trademarks registered. They don't care if they were on the cover of the MSTS box. It's not for a lack of payware providers trying to convince them otherwise.
    New kids in town ...since 2001 when BNSF not only supported MSTS but actually painted one of their loco's with the MSTS logo.

A sad case of GREED over COMMON SENSE? ...at best. At worst a case of Corporate bullying?

As a lifetime Union Rep the one disciplinary offence that almost guaranteed dismissal was "Bringing the organisation into disrepute" Strikes me that BNSF ought to be looking at some internal disciplinary action? because whoever made this change has made them look pretty stupid.

There are also legal issues about BNSF's rights where they have NOT registered their trademark ....BUT ....if you want to read those they're well covered in the threads about DTG's dispute with BNSF
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Hard to say greed if the trademark agreement is only $1......

No, it's not bullying, either. It's their brand. They get to decide who can and can't use it.

It's no different than what the IOC has done on the Olympics trademarks and the UP train set people wanted, or the guy who wanted to make the fictitious UPS locomotive a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You people make me sick! What happened to "Wow, Chip, you created a fantastic set of Locos." "Great job." "Really like those 3dCabs."

I am sorry I ever opened this thread!
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    You people make me sick! What happened to "Wow, Chip, you created a fantastic set of Locos." "Great job." "Really like those 3dCabs."

I am sorry I ever opened this thread!
    Well what HAPPENED Charles was that a large chunk of customers can't even get to judge that?! Simple?
    Geoff
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by agebhard View Post
    A license to use BNSF trademarks may be purchased for $1.

http://www.altamontpress.com/discuss...,119459,119507

Zak Andersen, Vice President, Corporate Relations
    http://www.bnsf.com/media/contact-us/
    .....So DTG and Dekosoft are deliberately losing customers for the sake of a BUCK???? I don't think so!
    Geoff
    UK

Hard to say greed if the trademark agreement is only $1......
    A buck is a pointless charge as it wouldn't even cover the man hours in responding to the request. In PR terms every model, real or virtual, of their stock is free advertising/promotion for their brand. Why hack folk off with such pettiness?

No, it's not bullying, either. It's their brand. They get to decide who can and can't use it.
    The only reason companies register logo's, trademarks and brands is to protect them within the field in which they operate. This was reinforced when UP lost a case against a Calendar Publisher. Their Brand is freely viewable within the public arena. Reproducing it in other media can never be considered a threat to their business unless it is done so in a derogatory manner? You are of course correct that they CAN decide who uses it but to specify that folk they've licensed it to can only use it where they have registered it has no legal basis. One can only construe such a condition as bullying?

It's no different than what the IOC has done on the Olympics trademarks and the UP train set people wanted,
    Personally I regard the IOC as beneath contempt as they have turned what was sport into a corporate bun fight between sponsors and others .....but whilst I would go to lengths to REMOVE the Olympic symbol from any model ....I can appreciate that those who do want it might feel aggrieved.
    Geoff
    UK

I need to commission someone to write a computer virus that does nothing but delete the arial font from everyone's computer. Then accuracy might reign once again.

Default Dekosoft BNSF Mainline Power

Let's get back to the real topic now, which is the models. Any more discussion of trademarks in this thread gets the entire post whacked... There are other threads which deal with IP and trademarks. Feel free to add to those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I applaud Dekosoft for producing 3D cabs, the latest generation of models contain a fair number of inaccurate details. As an example, the whole lot of the ES44 models do not have the stack area modeled to match the prototypes. While other things might be characterized as nit-picks, that particular inaccurate detail is pretty glaringly obvious. Other payware vendors (DW, Streamlines, Ed's) have gotten that and a lot other details modeled much more accurately.