Thread: Opinions?

Default Opinions?

Hey everyone, I am looking for everyone's thoughts on whether or not World File Hacker is worth grabbing considering the source? Does it work ok on Vista?

http://www.digitalrails.com/p/worldfilehacker.html

What is the difference between Route Editor Jumper v2 and the original Jumper program from John C.Stanford?

http://www.digitalrails.com/p/route-...jumper-v2.html

Robert

[QUOTE=NW 2156;1895693]Hey everyone, I am looking for everyone's thoughts on whether or not World File Hacker is worth grabbing considering the source? Does it work ok on Vista?

http://www.digitalrails.com/p/worldfilehacker.html

This "Digital Rails" site is not owned by the "evil one". Guess there are two sites with the same name. A bit confusing I'll admit and I too thought the same as you. The program was made by our very own Eric Olesen . The readme for the program say it's recommended for Windows 7. No guarantees if one uses Vista or XP.

Both utilities are written in C# using VS2008, using .NET 3.5 framework. I'm fairly certain OpenRails is running on the same .NET version, so if you can run ORTS, these two utilities should be fine in XP and Vista.

I've never owned or used John's version of Jumper, but it serves the same general purpose --- to jump around within the RE.

REJumper is useful for just about any route builder or modder. It allows you to save and edit a list of "return points" that don't touch the marker file. There's also a reload function that will clear a .W file from memory and reload it, which is useful when you are modifying a .S file or .W file, and want to test-fit or check your changes in the RE. Plus, you can read in either a MKR or KML file and be able to jump to those locations rather quickly. I don't believe John's app had support for anything other than MKRs.

I have it with Win10, and the only issue I've noted is that the executable needs to be run as an administrator in order for the jumping & reloading functionality to work.

WFH is a litle more targeted in its audience -- The main purpose of the utility is to to do large scale object placement (e.g. berms, third rail, overhead wire) where you have "companion" shapes which match the geometry of your track.

Another feature which some buy it for is the ability to strip out all of the interactives out of an existing route, either to fix problems or to prepare for a merge.
    Last edited by eolesen; 05-09-2016 at 02:31 PM.

My OS is Vista Ultimate in 32 bit. Jumper works as well as it did with Me & XP. After d/l a new route one of the first things I do is designate each milepost a waypoint. Makes futrure mods easy to Jump to.

Rich

Thanks for the clarification. I feel much better about laying down money for something knowing it is from a well respected member of the community.

Robert

There is a slight difference in the link to 'that other' place, but I won't post the link. No need helping to promote that 'character'.