Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roads

Default Roads

Hello, I want to add roads to an existing route.

The road part is easy, but can they be made to follow the "land contours" like the originals?

I don't want to replace any existing roads, just add some that could enhance the route.

I have already tried adding the smallest toad sections at hills and such, but it looks horrible. Curves are impossible to get right!

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure I understand exactly how you want to make the roads follow the land, some pictures would help. I find it easier to lay the roads were you want them and then adjust the land to the roads . I try to make very small changes to the grades, using more on straight sections and keeping curves almost flat. This was my first attempt at a mountain dirt road, and probably my last . It isn't perfect but looks ok from the train. I could only zoom out to show about half of it.
    road 1.JPG
    road 2.JPG
    Last edited by hiball 3985; 05-11-2016 at 08:15 AM.
    Jim

To illustrate James view more, if what your talking about is on the curves where you see the land where the curves meet, you could use mosaic and paint a road row the color or almost the color of the road and that gap will disappear.

Or paint the road, dirt roads come out well but paved roads are more difficult if they have curves.
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

Jim, looks pretty damn good to me!

I was thinking the same as Rick. Lay the road shapes. Who cares if they don't look perfect. Mosaic the roads. Remove the road shapes. Presto!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Thanks Neil and Rick, you guys are correct, mosiac would have been a better way to go. But I don't do mosiac and since is my first and last attempt at route building it was a learning curve and just practice to see what I could do. I do have some minor gaps on the curved sections where I started down the hill but it got better further down when I stopped putting the curves on the grade and laid them flat. 90% of the time I'm in the cab and don't really notice the little imperfections.
    road 3.JPG
    Jim

Yes Jim, that is what I wanted to hear. I guess I was just trying to get them too perfect.

Thank You all!!

It didn't take me long to find out if you try to make everything perfect you would never finish anything or be in a straight jacket trying to .
    Jim

They're gonna take us to The Funny Farm Jim!
    Rory

Just be aware that if you're laying roads on a route which has interactives already placed on the track (or car spawners on existing roads) you could run into trouble if you got a section vanish and need to do a database repair.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by tie View Post
    They're gonna take us to The Funny Farm Jim!
    I sit in a padded room when I do route work
    Jim