Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roads

All great thoughts! I always have my trusty brew handy, and I'm not quite into the padded room as yet!

These would be all new roads, not interfering with existing ones. I have heard too many stories of certain death or worse when interfering with those pesky interactives!!

Thanks again for the input and smiles!!

ps: My apartment is still "Apartment Beige" after 9 years!! Does that qualify????

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Just be aware that if you're laying roads on a route which has interactives already placed on the track (or car spawners on existing roads) you could run into trouble if you got a section vanish and need to do a database repair.
    Comment : I had to resist, bringing something like this, to attention, but True story. I did very much as suggested here, in my very first 6 weeks..., of Route Building attempts, and by adding a mere dirt road , to cross , over a track , this, in fact, "bumped-up" one signal interactive, just enough..., to complete mess-up the track database.

Although the slight relocation of the interactive, was, really..., just-about "microscopic"..., this still was enough , to basically "fry", the entire Route . Lesson Learned.

Fortunately, there is always some wisdom floating around, on this Forum, at all times, and after my very first 6 weeks, at Route Building, never-ever, again, did I ever work on a Route which had interactives, already installed. Lesson Learned..., also ...

Jean Brisson Old School MSTS Route Builder

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    All great thoughts! I always have my trusty brew handy, and I'm not quite into the padded room as yet!

These would be all new roads, not interfering with existing ones. I have heard too many stories of certain death or worse when interfering with those pesky interactives!!

Thanks again for the input and smiles!!

ps: My apartment is still "Apartment Beige" after 9 years!! Does that qualify????
    If you have an already existing route with interactives you are trying to modify you may need the padded room sooner then you think
    Jim

There are no interactives on the road I was having a pita time with. There is only one bridge over the road and the crossing is already there. (This crossing does not exist anymore, they put in a bridge under the track).
    The line in Green us the road I want to install. The actual elevation changes about 12 times in that stretch.

MLT GTA Oshawa 1.jpg

Thank you all.

It does not matter where you have interactives but only IF you have ANY interactives installed.

It goes like this; Any time you make a modification to track OR roads followed by a save both the track database AND the road database and the world files and the Track Item Table and the Road Item Table get completely re-written (updated) every time.

THATS where the problems with the editor show up . . especially if car spawners and level crossings (both are interactive objects) are involved.

Hope that helps your understanding of the why 'no Interactives rule.
    regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Two comments on the original topic:

Painted roads look fine close to the camera but will disappear sooner in the distance than would road shapes. So if your road heads well away from the track you are most often better off w/ shapes than painted pixels.

Second, do understands that most of the road shapes are perfectly flat, including curves. That's fine when there is no change of elevation but when you elevate those curves one corner of that curve will be lower than the other. This is very evident if you jack up the elevation to the max. What that means is when you add the next road section there will be a gap in the joint (each shape is flat, remember?). The greater extent you raise those curves, the worse it gets. There is no getting around this.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.