Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Train Simulator 15th Anniversary

Exclamation Microsoft Train Simulator 15th Anniversary

My memory may be hazy, but as I recall June 1, 2001 was the original release date for Microsoft Train Simulator, which would make today the 15th anniversary. Hard to believe it's been that long and that we're still enjoying software from that long ago!

This year is of course also the 15th anniversary of TrainSim.Com. The web site was opened in advance of the release of the sim, on March 28, 2001. In that time we've collected over 30,000 files in our library, shared among thousands of people. What's the most popular file ever? It's UPSTEAM.ZIP from NALW, featuring three awesome steam locomotives and generating over 42,000 downloads.

Over the years the site has attracted over 147,000 members though relatively few are still active. They've posted over 1.1 million message in these forums...that's a lot of trainsim talk!

So give a cheer for MSTS, the sim that really made this hobby take off.

Three cheers!! Huzzah! And also for the community of which Trainsim.com is the leader in terms of users and simple mass of data and add-ons. Without the community support MSTS would have vanished a long time ago - has been officially "incompatible" with Windows since at least 7 (Vista?). But it works, and now with Open Rails the content developed over the years can keep on being used even if MS does finally make MSTS die.

Great history, thanks for starting and keeping this forum open and thriving

Quote Originally Posted by Nels_Anderson View Post
    This year is of course also the 15th anniversary of TrainSim.Com. The web site was opened in advance of the release of the sim, on March 28, 2001. In that time we've collected over 30,000 files in our library, shared among thousands of people. What's the most popular file ever? It's UPSTEAM.ZIP from NALW, featuring three awesome steam locomotives and generating over 42,000 downloads.

Over the years the site has attracted over 147,000 members though relatively few are still active. They've posted over 1.1 million message in these forums...that's a lot of trainsim talk!

So give a cheer for MSTS, the sim that really made this hobby take off.
    And thanks to your TS.com many of us would not have been able to enjoy MSTS and then MSTSBin the way we did for so long !

Thanks of course to Nels but thanks to all the hundreds of folk who've created, engaged, shared, helped, supported the phenomenum that is "a simulator community". Along with MSFS, MSTS has to be one of the longest running and widest supported hobby sims ever?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Congratulations Nels and fellow rail simmers! Hard to believe it's been that long. Salute to all of you!

Aloha, Jeff Link

15 years is pretty mind-blowing when you consider MSTS's teething problems would have sunk just about any other genre of gaming software. But here I am in 2016 with MSTS on my 2004 Dell XP backstopping my Open Rails installation on a 2015 Windows 10 laptop (and actually running some routes better than OR). I don't see it ever going completely away.

As for TrainSim.com, what in the world would any of us have done without it. I came aboard about 12 years ago and owe practically all of my knowledge of MSTS to everyone here.

Thanks, Nels.

Uncle E
    Whatever's cold in my fridge is the Official Beer of Open Rails.

Echo all that has been said...here is to 15 more great years!

It's incredible to see such a primitive program being taken to such great heights. I'm slowly losing interest in this hobby, but I have to respect how far it's come. We went from low-poly, off-proportion models and route with absurdly steep grades being held up to the standard of "as real as it gets" to having accurate representations of locomotives, railcars, and routes in stunning detail. It's taken 15 years of dedication to fulfill Microsoft's original slogan, but we've come very close to doing just that. However, there's always room to improve, and there are many features Open Rails lacks despite being a modern successor to MSTS. Give it 15 more years and our take on a primitive simulator will truly be as real as it gets.

To everyone who has contributed to the MSTS community in some way, thank you.

I will give a cheer for all that this site - and Nels - has given to the community. Where would we be without it?
    Christopher