Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Train Simulator 15th Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Trainsim.com is losing the visual appeal war.
    +1

I also would like to point out how this site is losing the visualization war. I made an investment in current desktop computer hardware, and now have a 1920 x 1080 25" monitor. And here is how a screen shot taken by another member with a 1920 x 1080 monitor shows up on my 1920 x 1080 monitor. I can right click on the image to view full size, but displaying in-line gives me 4 1/2 inches of dead space on both sides of the image. The display width of the 1920 image is cut down to 850 pixels wide or so.

Meanwhile, I am a member of a private forum that uses the same forum software as Nels does here, where 1280 x 1024 images display fully, and 1440 x 900 images also display fully, and 1920 x 1080 images are compressed to only about 1600 pixels wide and almost display fully. Trainsim.com is losing the visual appeal war.

I don't know if this done for bandwidth reasons or whether this site is trying to cater to smaller screen smartphones and tablets and inadequate 13" laptops everywhere, essentially being a jack of all trades while being a master of none.

I found it odd that Nels said something earlier that was kind of the opposite of what Dave Nelson said. Nels was wanting more traffic, while Dave was saying more traffic costs more, and he preferred quality over quantity. It could be differences in how their bandwidth is purchased, but it seemed odd that they were sorta driving in opposite directions. If Nels' arrangement has more pre-paid bandwidth, for the lack of a better phrase, then maybe he has already paid for a platform that can support improved visual appeal (i.e. larger images).

Dave Nelson (Elvastower) allows images up to at least 2560x1600 he does not like png images requiring jpeg's because of there smaller file size.

Lindsay

I do agree with Vern there, there can be plenty wrong with too heavy a hand on moderation. There is a sweet spot where behavior benefits participation, but running a site to accommodate those with tender feelings does not hit that sweet spot either. I dare say the Open Rails discussion here has been helped by ET's membership lock, so keep on locking!
    It NEVER hurts to be polite though, there are plenty of people in this world that have made things harder for themselves buy being unnecesarily rude and Trainsim.com does have a reputation for this, it would NOT hurt the site at all for everyone to strive to be polite and respectfull as much as possible..

Lindsay

Some of my best times on the computer were playing MSTS. The original routes were all very good, and the add-ons often spectacular (I'm particularly fond of the Canton add-ons and the Berlin tramway routes--the 1920s route particular evocative; Only drawback is the easy-to-lose card with the registration code), and the lack of a Mac version (no surprise with the MS at the beginning). I would love to drive my trolly through Pankow to Mitte with even better (2016 technology) graphics on my Mac Mini. But happy anniversery MSTS, long may you run.

It's hoped one day we can get openrails into Linux. Once that is done a mac port seems more likely. But, We are a long ways from any port outside of windows.

Robert

OK, two different topics have sprung up to reply to. First, civility. The internet is a bit of the "wild west". It's an impossible task to moderate it in way that makes everyone happy. Myself and the moderators here do our best, but I know some people have left feeling they've been mistreated and I'm truly sorry for that. I've also run into people whose sensibilities are so delicate I don't know how they survive in the adult world. I just hope people realize that we are honestly trying our best to find that fine line between being overbearing and not allowing free discussion versus just letting anything go.

Quote Originally Posted by P834C View Post
    +1

Just posting +1 does not help without adding why you feel that way. But the comments previous about visual appeal do bring up a valid point. Some may remember the last major change to the site, about four years ago. We went through some changes at that time trying to get the forums setup right in regards to posting pictures. Initially things were set way too small and we adjusted it until I think most people were satisfied. It sounds like with the bigger monitors that have become available it's time to re-examine things.

So thanks for bringing this up and I encourage anyone who has constructive criticism like this to post it or email me about it.

Nels, If the number of people viewing a section indicates how active a forum section is in a given day, I would say the World Of Subways and Rail Driver sections are pretty dead as well.

The latter not easy to turn off or delete since Raildriver is still in use by a great many of us.

I don't know what site those subway fanatics hide out on? But, Seems its not here as much.

Robert

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Nels_Anderson View Post
    Just posting +1 does not help without adding why you feel that way. But the comments previous about visual appeal do bring up a valid point. Some may remember the last major change to the site, about four years ago. We went through some changes at that time trying to get the forums setup right in regards to posting pictures. Initially things were set way too small and we adjusted it until I think most people were satisfied. It sounds like with the bigger monitors that have become available it's time to re-examine things.

So thanks for bringing this up and I encourage anyone who has constructive criticism like this to post it or email me about it.
    Nels,

I apologize if you thought that my "+1" post wasn't helpful. My response was basically in response to what geepster775 had already said. The site is apparently setup as a compromise for phone and tablet users and not for PC users with wide aspect monitors as in my case a 21:9 Ultrawide monitor. If I view Trainsim.com or Flightsim.com at fullscreen on my monitor I have 9 1/2 inches of dead space on each side of the webpage. Do I view this site at fullscreen? No. But many other websites do expand to fill the browser window if I select maximize or fullscreen.

Generally I think both Trainsim.com and Flightsim.com could use a visual refresh. That is why I did the +1 to Trainsim.com is losing the visual appeal war. The site looks a little dated to my eyes. But I doubt at this stage a redesign will add additional members as that is really what this thread is all about.

Just my one cent.

P.S. FWIW don't let my 5/2009 join date fool anybody. I've been here since day one back in 2001 and thank you Nels for 15 great years!
    Last edited by P834C; 06-25-2016 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by P834C View Post
    and not for PC users with wide aspect monitors as in my case a 21:9 Ultrawide monitor.
    There are some of us that don't have the latest, greatest ultra wide monitors. It would be a shame to come to this site and have to scroll horizontally.