Thread: Route Riter, Editors & Tools, and Windows 10

Question Route Riter, Editors & Tools, and Windows 10

I really enjoy reading through the forum threads for all kinds of useful knowledge. There are those times, however, where I seem to be the only person in the entire universe that is experiencing a particular issue. I am on a W10
    machine and I only keep MSTS around for the activity editor since I do my driving in ORTS. I remember in W7 having to change to 16-bit display to get the AE to work but this new monitor doesn't support that, fine. After I discovered
    this, I tried opening the E&T, which gave me an error message and crashed instantly. Not TOO big of a deal since there are payware activity generators and masters. So, I open RR. Everything is as normal until I want to use the
    consist editor. The repeating error I get is "An error occurred in SP_Filematch while processing xxx.eng." The engine files in question are displayed in the eng/wag file editor as normal, as well as every single piece of rolling stock I have.
    It did display three of the locos, but errored the rest out. At this point I'm really confused because I had ZERO problems on my W7 install, which this is a drag and drop copy of. I was planning on investing in a few, maybe several hundred dollars worth of payware, but what would I do with it now? I need a functioning consist/activity editor so that I can build very specific traffic trains. Has ANYBODY else come across either of these issues? Could it be a W10/AMD or a display thing, or is there something I'm missing? More importantly, would the issue(s) causing these errors create problems in the other programs as well?

Thanks,
    Paul Beach

Hi Paul,
    Could it be a W10/AMD or a display thing

If you are using an AMD graphics card with an older AMD CPU, or any Intel CPU it will not work in Windows 10 unless you apply this patch :
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?322502-Will-Windows-10-support-AMD-graphic-card-in-MSTS/page4

I'm really confused because I had ZERO problems on my W7 install, which this is a drag and drop copy of

You should NOT drag and drop any programs because no Registry entries are created! You MUST install everything afresh in Windows 10.

Also, make sure all executables are set to "Run as administrator" and are NOT installed in either C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86).

Cheers,
    Ged

Oh man, I meant to reply much sooner but... busy, busy, busy! The patch was executed flawlessly and voila! I was hesitant to open everything, tbh. I'm really amazed (and grateful) that I didn't have to adjust my display settings to use the AE. I have yet to actually try making an activity, so we'll see what happens. The error in RR is still there but I'm just going to leave that alone since it seems like everything works okay now. By drag and drop, I was referring to my routes and trainset folder. I have yet to use "run as" and I'm installed directly to drive C. Thank you so much for your help, sir!