Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Sketchup to MSTS Plugin Exporting Texture-less shapes!

  1. #1

    Exclamation Sketchup to MSTS Plugin Exporting Texture-less shapes!

    In Sketchup i made a wall with a Wall Texture applied on all 6 faces, but when i am exporting that using the Plugin, it exports only shape, white/blank shape with no Textures. What can i do?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,580

    Default

    If you were to put a copy of the texture file into the same folder as the shape file, does it work then? Or is it still just blank?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kalkamail View Post
    In Sketchup i made a wall with a Wall Texture applied on all 6 faces, but when i am exporting that using the Plugin, it exports only shape, white/blank shape with no Textures. What can i do?
    I would say you are using the wrong method, of texturing a model, meant for MSTS. You would need to read some of that past posts, in this section, and there are also some excellent Sketchup tutorials, on YouTube.

    The method I prefer, which has been flawless since day one, is to make the texture externally ( entirely outside... of the Sketchup program ).

    Also, ( and many have done such / I had to do this, myself, to fix or upgrade some models ), you can "Export texture", from Sketchup, in a .BMP image format, into a photo-editing program, and from there, creating a totally brand new texture, which "background" ( at least ), is perfectly square, and in sizes such as 64X64 / 128X128/ 256X256/512X512/1024X1024.

    So many of the Sketchup-provided textures, are NOT..."square", therefore, as important as learning to "build"... models, in Sketchup, is to also learn, how to make Textures ( externally..., from Sketchup ), so that those textures are compatible, with MSTS .

    It's a learning process / there is a learning curve , but very last thing I would do, is to "pick" the texture images, as provided by Sketchup, itself, as those are not formatted or compatible, with MSTS, in their "as is" format.

    Jean Brisson ( now having used Sketchup for 10 years, by now )

  4. #4

    Default

    It worked! Well, main problem was that i forgot to tick at "use as texture" while importing the TGA file.
    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    You also mention using .TGA image file, which is really good. Note that when your texture has what they call an "alpha channel", Sketchup only works with image files, in the .TGA format.

    You will find that Sketchup is generally more "User-friendly", and requires far less work, to accomplish what we need ( for MSTS ). It is also well-worth the time, to learn from basic Tutorials, as this can save you many months, of potentially wasted efforts.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA.
    Posts
    3,421

    Default

    Use .TGA for any kind of alpha. Use .bmp (maybe .jpg works) for everything else. The reason is the exporter software chooses which shader to specify in the .s file based on the extension used for the art file. The shader for .TGA involves more processing in-game and so if you use it for everything it will cost you in fps.

    Also the SU exporter does not create .ace files for you. All it does is put the name of your art file into the .s file and appends .ACE to it. You have to create the .ACE files on your own. I like using Aceit because I can write a .bat file with all the relevant commands so when it's run all of the .ace files pop out at once (including snow, if I've done the art). Much better than manually doing them one by one.
    Dave Nelson

    Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muskokaandtahoe View Post
    Use .TGA for any kind of alpha. Use .bmp (maybe .jpg works) for everything else. The reason is the exporter software chooses which shader to specify in the .s file based on the extension used for the art file. The shader for .TGA involves more processing in-game and so if you use it for everything it will cost you in fps..
    Follow up : This is quite interesting. Fortunately, I already had this work habit, of using the .bmp format, for everything, except for... models / textures, which require alpha channels ( for those, with Sketchup, the .tga image format, is the only format that works ).

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bcrailfan View Post
    Follow up : This is quite interesting. Fortunately, I already had this work habit, of using the .bmp format, for everything, except for... models / textures, which require alpha channels ( for those, with Sketchup, the .tga image format, is the only format that works ).
    The png format can also be used as it also supports alpha channel as well as tga. I use the png format many times and it works quite well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
-->