Thread: Congratulations on 15 Great Years

Unhappy Congratulations on 15 Great Years

I bought TS when it came out in 2001. I have installed it more time than I can remeber and iI owe you a big .
    thanks. I think it is time to upgrade and catch up with the rest. I looked at Steams version and asked for a got a refund. In my opion it is game of some sorts not a simulation, I aalso bought 2013 that also morphed into the Steams version.
    I would like any suggestions to get me back on the line.
    Harry
    Last edited by Nels_Anderson; 06-21-2016 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hcoburn View Post
    I would like any suggestions to get me back on the line.
    Harry
    Install all your old MSTS content, and use OpenRails as your game engine. It's free and available here
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Link to OR download >>> http://openrails.org/download/program/
    Left side of page - Stable Version 1.1
    Install MSTS according to Steam4Me instructions here: http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/installing_msts.html - Do Not install in either the Program Files or Program Files ( x86 ) folders. Use something like C:\TS (TrainSim or MSTS)
    ORTS will find the content, if it does not use Options\Content and browse to find. Good Luck, you'll enjoy it once you get over the initial learning curve.
    Cheers, Gerry
    It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.
    Forever, ridin' drag in railroad knowledge.

God bless MSTS and everything that surrounds it--- I remember seeing the CD as a game set and thinking who in their right mind would buy a train sim? don't know what year that might have been, but when my gaming heart gets dim...I always end up back at a good-ol train sim...

The "Steam" version, as I'm sure the OP may have figured out, is a totally different product - generically known as Railworks but the retail name changed to Train Simulator suffixed by a year (as in TS2016 for the current version). It has its good points and bad points, like all the products. The only now tenuous connection is that the prototype version - Rail Simulator - was programmed by Kuju Entertainment who were also responsible for coding MSTS.
    Vern.

It's a shame they didn't stick with "Railworks" for the name, would have avoided much confusion I think!

All the sims have their good and bad points. There's fun to be had with any of them, even sims for things other than trains. My dirty little secret of the day is that one of the old hands here has got me playing a trucking sim...and I'm actually enjoying it :-)