Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My Run8 Journal

Smile UP SD70 ACe

UP are one of the nicest liveries for sure.

Note: Run8--Please release CN SD70 ACe as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great. The shadows are phonominial. Keep them coming.
    Interested in all Train-Sims

Default Experiencing Selkirk

I decided to add another route. Selkirk. No "Busy Selkirk" with the initial release. This means you have to spawn in all the traffic from scratch while learning the route. Nevertheless, it does offer different operational and dispatch challenges. The shadows play a more significant role with all the trees.The look and feel is distinctly different.

Note: Selkirk needs a little more love. Apparently an update is pending.

Default The Weeds . . .

. . .and a few coming in the yard.

Default Run8 deserves. . .

. . my full support. I just picked up A-Line. Picks from A-Line coming soon.

Default More Selkirk

Selkirk has a nice "beefy" yard but it does not flow as well as Barstow. It is just the way it is laid out. But she can handle the heavy rush hour traffic if need be.

Default Track Work

If you look closely, the track variation in each route is diverse. Some are well oiled and some are heavily weathered.

Note: These are Florida pics. The track art work is different from California.

Default A Basic Operations Tutorial

Introduction

This is a journal. As kids we all loved to run trains and we still do. Just because we love to run trains on a simulator does not mean we are actual kids anymore than Run8 is actual--but they are similar analogies. The whole point of miniature models (in this case a simulator) is that we get to control what we cannot in the real world.

As a kid I ran my first train in circles around the Christmas tree. I was in control but I was also hooked. Then, as a kid, I grew up on the CN super-continental from Vancouver, B.C. to Edmonton, AL. and it became apparent I was not in control and actual trains don`t run in actual circles. They run from point A to point B. The same goes in Run8--sort of. After awhile, if you don`t learn operations, you will grow tired of running trains without a purpose. After all, the power of Run8 is in the purpose of actual operations and the fact that you are in control.

I know that Run8 has a challenging learning curve. This is a good thing for those that want to stay interested. Learning the operations curve will bring endless hours of enjoyment--even while you are running or dispatching. Any operation and running scenario is possible for each unique owner of Run8. Let me share one that helped me immensely which is a compilation of the Run8 community. If it was not for the "train-sim" community we would all struggle to reap the full rewards of this fascinating hobby we learned to love as actual kids-and actually still do as adults. If it was easy we would abandon what is arguably the greatest Train (operations) Simulator on the market, built by dedicated individuals who understand the actual kid in the actual train world in which we all love to actually operate in.

Note: Much of this idea is a redaction from the RTS wiki site. The reasons for publishing here is to serve a similar purpose in layman's terms. We all need the layman`s approach before the hard-core becomes inevitable. The tutorial should be in five short (chapters) parts.
    Last edited by Ezra; 02-28-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Default The Railroad

Chapter One

First of all, I am no expert at this but only wish to encourage those who are in the same learning curve as I am. The beauty of Run8 is that the Single Player experience is just as rich and rewarding as the Multi Player. The more you learn in SP, in terms of operation, the more comfortable you will feel when you enter into the MP experience. Having said this, MP is different than SP because you get to experience a shared community by the server owner, who by the way, has worked very hard at providing a prototypical environment for many to run or operate. Not to mention all the other Run8 support sites.

Nevertheless, you can create and save your own prototypical environment and operation within a limited modern period just the way you want it, and then set up your own server as well--if you so choose. After all, it is your railroad, you paid for it, and you can build it and save it!

Note: I will try to keep this simple. So let us begin. We need a railroad (in this case Southern California), a train, a purpose, an industry, and an operation which Run8 so graciously provides us.

The Railroad
    Last edited by Ezra; 02-28-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Default The Train

Chapter Two

The first task is to create a train. In this case we will jump to UP Bakersfield Yard through DS screen (F3) and spawn in a "Unit Train" we create in the Ctrl F1 menu.

The Train

Note: Unit Train means a train transporting a single commodity. In this case the commodity is actually empty gondolas, but soon to be loaded with steel after the Kaiser Steel Operations are completed.

1. Shift F12 and fly to the south end of the Bakersfield yard at the crew change shack just north of Quantico. This is where we will spawn in the train that will be tagged as (UBAKKAI) which will signify Bakersfield to Kaiser Steel. This (unit) train (UBAKKAI) will be exclusive to Kaiser Steel.

2. Open Ctrl F1 "train maker" menu. Create and spawn 3 UP ES44DC and 60 (empty) Gondolas made up of 30 Gon (ACF 1995 EJE01) and 30 Gon (TRIN 1828 IHB01) with two more ES44DC on the rear.You will need the rears as pusher power when the operation is complete after Kaiser industry produces all the steel loads.Tag the lead locomotive as (UBAKKAI) and the empty gondolas as (KAI). These cars are suitable for the Kaiser Steel industry that we will created in chapter four.

3. When departing the yard at Bakersfield cross over (southbound) to Main 1 which is actually (SB/EB) at Quantico. You will have to manually throw five switches to cross over. Check the Dispatch screen for approaching traffic! You can run the train or relinquish to AI if you wish to create the industry while the train makes the trip through AI.

4.There is plenty of time before UBAKKAI arrives at Kaiser Steel Yard. The yard is a the end of the line at West Colton on the Cajon Sub. F3 to UPRR West Colton Yard and you can see KAISER (upper right corner) with a small dotted line listed as "Kaiser Lead." The Kaiser industry, yet to be created, is the purpose for the train. Now the train has (actual) meaning and you are in control of its (virtual) trip and safety.
    Last edited by Ezra; 02-28-2017 at 04:47 PM.