Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RMD West Download

Hey Don, It removes unwanted ( or needed ) MSTS traces from Open Rails installs etc. I have been looking for a day and a half now trying to find it with no luck.

Thanks Geepster haha I was busy typing. Any way of getting it without buying SAL route I wonder.

I assumed it was payware, getting the route now. Thanks much Geepster
    Last edited by DirtyRam; 07-10-2016 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    What and where is "BK-Rem.exe " ?

I found it bundled with the newest version of the SAL Florida route that is downloaded from the Skyline Computing website. It deletes MSTS-needed terrain buffers, and also deletes any backup files (.BK extensions) generated from route eidits.

I borrowed that one exe file, transplanted it to the root folder of the 30 or so routes that I had used MSTS on in the past, and double clicked to run the cleanup. Deleting the terrain buffers alone on all those 30 "MSTS routes" reclaimed over 14 GB of disk space.

If the situation ever arises and you need to do any testing of the route with MSTS again, it will simply pause and re-generate the terrain buffers again when MSTS loads. Which you then can delete again using the same tool after your testing.

It just deletes MSTS dead weight that OR doesn't need to carry around.

When I uploaded this route, I believed Lukas had mentioned somewhere that the acts were not tested and with the upcoming Template for the Activity Generator program being designed by Denis Gionet, I did not think it would be a problem with members getting used to the route while waiting for the template. The template will have enough switching and running to satisfy all concerns. I suppose while waiting for the template, you could make up an activity or two on your own. I did not want this route to be kept in the closet so I released it to the members to go along with the RMD East route and I did mention in my readme that what you see is what you get, that I cannot do anything about missing parts. It is unfortunate that none of the activities are in working order but Lukas was still fine tuning the route before his disappearance and the activities were probably on his list.

When I released the route I thought it to be a pleasant surprise to let the members download and run the route with out having to run the install.bat which is normally required for all routes. This resulted in what was so eloquently described as bandwidth bloat and brought the route up to it's normal MSTS size. I am not smart enough to eliminate all the default files and have them reinstalled with the install.bat. along with the terrain buffers.

Lastly, this route was built for MSTS and not for the OR users and runs fine, so if some parts act funny in OR, you will have to live with them as you do with many other routes. Perhaps if and when OR receives an editor of it's own, then you can massage the route in question to your liking.

Moe Smith
    Last edited by Dispatcher; 07-10-2016 at 05:38 PM.

That's exactly what it said Moe. Thanks again for your efforts, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    I use only OR, and I find also the track roadbed keeps changing, as if updating, as I travel.

Given the way that the track goes all lopsided, with the ballast shoulder cut back on one side and not on the other, I figured it had something to do with the Alpha channel on the ACleantrack1 texture. The alpha channel is what creates the see-thru grass "furrow" between tracks on multi-track segments, and the furrow only resides on one side of the texture.

This issue affects pretty much all the MILW routes that share these same ACleanTrack1's, RMD East, RMD west, and the Gap.

All the MILW routes also employ concrete track pieces that are re-purposed and disguised into mucky, grass infested yard tracks. Naturally, the concrete track pieces pull different ace files because of the concrete ties that are supposed to be embedded in the original ACE files associated with them, but on the MILW routes, both wood and concrete appear to use the same base textures, one is just more polluted with grass clumps.

This shows how all of the MILW routes are generally displaying, with one side (right side) of the ballast shoulder cut way back on the nearer LOD. The track on the left is a concrete piece, the track in the middle is a standard wood piece.

Here, I've replaced the ACleanTrack1.ace on the default wood track, but the concrete track piece is still pulling up the original ACE released with the route. Both ballast shoulders of the middle track are full. Notice the small pinholes in the ballast shoulders of the center track closer to the camera as the track shapes change between LOD's. The original textures on the left are still going all haywire with the LOD shift. Something is embedded in those ace files that OR does not like.

Those are transfers in the route . Remove them if you want .

What about using Otto's "Track-Changer"? Has anyone tried to fix this problem with one of his fine textures?

Or does it go deeper than just a simple switch-out because of the mix of track pieces? Just asking, because I am not very knowledgeable about changing some of the things.

Ok, now I know about the "BK" files, I constantly delete them as I go through the different routes. I just use a search parameter of "BAK" and that seems to collect them all.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***********

Hey, Jeepster, I installed the "TX-MP3_Ties-Rail" from Otto's set and it works great! Also looks better in OR at least. Yeah!
    Last edited by Don6218; 07-10-2016 at 10:54 PM.

It's a shame about the activities. I hope sometime Lukas reappears with the missing parts?

Robert

Well no problems on track bed, drive 1st act in explode mode with a home made consists of Little Joe and lots of hoppers - 61 - and another Little Joe as pusher

Hey what was that - driving in explode mode??? Nope I was not that angry over all missing files, should be in explore mode instead
    Last edited by Lurker57; 07-11-2016 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    It's a shame about the activities. I hope sometime Lukas reappears with the missing parts?

Robert
    I note that there is a "CONSIST" folder. Obviously much of the stock looks like the stuff from the library that the first RMD route used (?) but apart from that there are some Columbus Locomotive Works downloads and 4 (?) BLW payware packs?
    BLW Milwaukee Freight
    BLW Northern Pacific Freight
    BLW Milwaukee Hiawatha
    BLW Great Northern Empire Builder.
    Not sure where the last one fits in? ..but all the others are surely "no brainers" for the route anyway?

Has anyone checked the consists against any included acts?

If there was a stock list (or did I miss that?) it would help perhaps?

Much as I support OR I do think folk should concentrate on testing and fixing it in MSTS first because that's what it was designed for.

Getting it working in OR is a bonus but you don't buy flash alloy wheels for your car until the engine is completely fixed ....do you?? That aside I'm looking forward to finding time to run this because the first Milwaukee route is one of THE best routes out there IMO
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK