Thread: MSTS Auto Loader Tool (MALT)

Default MSTS Auto Loader Tool (MALT)

Hi,
    This utility has been added to the library today. Judging by the dates of the files, this seems to be a very old program, supported by the heading in the instructions, which only refers to Win98, ME and XP.

While not wishing to denigrate the program, I should point out that, following the installation instructions, it won't work in Windows 7 (or later). To resolve this problem, the executable must be set to run in XP SP3 Compatibility mode - I also set it to Run as administrator.

Also, the readme asks that all queries be directed to "H&B Railroad Forum" (http://hawkdawg.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=244); unfortunately, this site doesn't exist!

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 07-16-2016 at 03:14 PM.

I remember that site. I'm guessing somebody uploaded something very old. Why?
    If I'm not mistaking, Ged has himself written something similar (although I could never get it to work - I forget why now, but I did report the issue).
    Christopher

Ged, there were three uploads today - all older programs, Skyconductor, MALT, and MSTSpoker (which as I understand - has nada to do with cards). What gives??

I am familiar with MSTS poker, never used it, have read in forums that some people regard it as a good utility. Skyconductor was the precurser to KOSMOS, is that correct? and What is MALT?
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

MSTS Poker is good for computing track chart info into MSTS usable data.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    and What is MALT?
    I wondered that too. There is nothing in the file description about it. I won't download some program unless I know what it is supposed to do.
    Yardmaster of the Great American Moose Paint Shops.
    a Moose Interchange Rail Company division.
    http://mjrmstsrepaints.proboards.com
    TTFN!

There's a very detailed description of how to use MALT and what it does in the users guide, which can be read by clicking on the View link for that file in the library.

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/tsview...d=32330&idx=19

The H&B RR forum does still exist, except the link is wrong in the guide (it should be (http://hawkdawg.com/forums - small f and an s on the end ) and the forum no longer has a section for MSTS. It's now strictly for Railroad Tycoon.

If I remember right, this utility came out around 2005.

Hi,
    Thanks for your replies, chaps

For those who don't know, the program can be set to automatically start the appropriate MSTS editor just by clicking on a file. A .trf file can be clicked to open the Route Editor, a .cvf file to open the Cab Editor and a .act file to open the Activity Editor.

Gerry - Yes, mate, I saw the other files (MSTSPoker and SkyConductor); I'd heard of those before, but not MALT!

Christopher - I don't know which of my utilities you had trouble with - maybe you could send me a PM when I will try to sort it out for you. I've had almost no negative feed-back from them, so I can only assume that they are working correctly for most users (or they've just been dumped!)

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks for your replies, chaps

For those who don't know, the program can be set to automatically start the appropriate MSTS editor just by clicking on a file. A .trf file can be clicked to open the Route Editor, a .cvf file to open the Cab Editor and a .act file to open the Activity Editor.

Gerry - Yes, mate, I saw the other files (MSTSPoker and SkyConductor); I'd heard of those before, but not MALT!

Christopher - I don't know which of my utilities you had trouble with - maybe you could send me a PM when I will try to sort it out for you. I've had almost no negative feed-back from them, so I can only assume that they are working correctly for most users (or they've just been dumped!)

Cheers,
    Ged
    Hey Ged, I wrote MALT, a long time ago. When MSTS first came out, I noticed what a PITA it was to get a route/activity open in the editors. So I created MALT. I don't know if Ed Hawkins (hawkdawg) still lurks around here, but he named the app, headed up the testing and originally hosted the download and support on his hawkdawg.com site.

Right off the top of my head, I don't know why MALT wouldn't work in Win7 (and later). But it shouldn't take me much more than a few minutes to fix that if people are still using it. Maybe so since 250+ downloads in 6 months.

Also note that the link provided by Old_Codger above will open the User Guide, but opening it that way will cause the images to be omitted. The best way to view the guide is to download the entire zip file, extract its contents to a folder somewhere, and then open the guide from there.

-Glenn

I like this program, thanks!
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Codger View Post
    The H&B RR forum does still exist, except the link is wrong in the guide (it should be (http://hawkdawg.com/forums - small f and an s on the end ) and the forum no longer has a section for MSTS. It's now strictly for Railroad Tycoon
    There is also a link to WEBSITE and that has quite a bit of reference material that is still relevant to any rail sim.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK