Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial Route.ace & MyROUTE

Default Tutorial Route.ace & MyROUTE

I just installed MSTS and after install Route Riter reports that a file is missing 'Tutorial.ace' and that the Tutorial Route won't run without it.

Also, after installing MSTS Bin I have an empty folder in Routes named 'MyRoute".

Any comments?

Brian

Hi Brian,
    When you installed MSTS, did you let it install to the default location?

And please, what operating system? Vista? Win7? Win10?
    regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Hi Vince,

MSTS installed to G/1MSTS (120GB). Fresh install to Win 10. Route Riter says Tutorial Route.ace is missing and won't run without this file, however, the Tutorial Routes work fine. The other issue is the Route installed by MSTS Bin 'MyRoute' which contains one folder 'Textures' that is empty. I don't see any purpose for this route.

Brian

MSTS installed to G/1MSTS (120GB). Fresh install to Win 10.
    Have you run a search for Tutorial Route.ace on your machine? And this was an actual "Install" and not a copy over? I respectfully ask as there are some members who mix up these two very different way to get MSTS on a machine.

You should go in and check to see if folder permissions are set for ALL folders associated with MSTSto allow full read/write operations.

Route_Riter and all train sim utilities should not be installed in any 'Program Files' folders for the same reasons you don't install MSTS there. I have my RR and utilities installed into the Train Simulator\UTILITIES folder. That keeps it simple. MSTS in a good folder so why not put all sim stuff there?

I seem to remember I had a few problems when I installed MSTS to a Win10 machine with the permissions thing. Hope your able to slog through the file properties menus.
    regards

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

Hi Vince,

I have run a search for the file with no positive results.

This was an install using Disk 1 and Disk 2.

All folders are set to read/write. All of my MSTS Folders and files are in my MSTS drive (Train Sim G\Drive)

Route Riter is installed in Windows Program Files as the latest Version is packaged with a set of Utilities and grouped under a folder called Digital Rails with instructions to install to Program Files.

Everything is working OK at present...it seems that the file is not required.

Do you recommend deleting the MyRoute folder or just leaving it?

Brian

Hi Brian,

One of the first clues is that you have the wrong version of Route Riter. The one you have appears to have come from Digital Rails. That version is plagued with problems as reported by some people. The best version (7.6.26) is located here in the file library under utilities. It is the last version that Mike Simpson, the original programmer, put out. Try installing that version and see if it doesn't help your situation.

Name: rr7626fu.zip
    Size: 13,299,430 Date: 02-09-2013 Downloads: 924

MSTS Route Riter - version 7.6.26. Route_Riter v7 is a suite of over 110 utilities for performing various actions on sections of the Microsoft Train Simulator program. By Mike Simpson. (Previous version had 8110 downloads)
    Steve
    USAF Veteran

Agreed! Do not use the digital rails version. Uninstall and dump it. Use v7.6.26 found here in the trainsim.com file library.

Do you have the TUTORIAL route folder installed? This is on the list of routes when you install MSTS.

I do have the file on my system but I do have the tutorial route. Not strictly needed but installing downloaded routes sometimes do require ALL default routes be installed because the installers for routes downloaded need to copy files from the default routes and the Tutorial route is one of them.

MSTS is fine where you have installed it on the G drive.

On Windows10, go to [This PC] and enter your search there at the top right see a field [Search This PC]. Enter your search there as just as I have written here. >>>===> tutorial route.ace

As you have stated,
    "Everything is working OK at present...it seems that the file is not required."
    The default route is required for some route installs.
    The TUTORIAL route should appear in the list of routes to run when you start up MSTS.
    Does It appear in the list?
    If not, then you didn't install it.
    regards,

Hi Steve,

I'm going to follow your instructions and will let you and Vince know the results.

Brian
    RCAF Veteran

Tutorial.ace Is just a generic file, it is a black ace with an outlined alpha channel. You can rename any load.ace that is set up the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Agreed! Do not use the digital rails version. Uninstall and dump it.
    Do not use anything from that site.