Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Freeroam scenareios with AI trains

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    296

    Default Freeroam scenareios with AI trains

    There has been some interesting talk about having AI trains operating in a freereoam scenario. But there seems to be one restriction in what has been presented, so far. That is, all AI trains must not run on the same track as your freeroam train is proceeding on.

    I know I am dreaming here a bit, but here is what I would love to have:

    1. That there is a resident digital dispatcher within the simulator who controls all trains, including your freeroam train.

    2. And then you assign priority to your own train, as well as the AI trains you wish to run .You install and assign AI trains their starting points, when they start up, and their destination, regardless of their travels run on a track that my interfere with your intentions where you want to go.

    Now suppose you want your train to be a low priority train, such as a train of empties that will be called to go to a siding to allow higher priority trains to proceed, or you may wish to assign yourself the highest priority, and have AI trains waiting for you to pass. But the dispatcher would have the sophistication enough to manage the time arrivals to critical junctions such that when a low priority enters a single track, it may cause a higher priority to go to a siding to allow it to pass! The question is, can such a digital “dispatcher” be programmed to be nearly as smart as a human dispatcher! .

    Now, this is going to require a much better signaling protocol and sophistication to make this work right, but if I ever had such, I think it would kill off all of the other scenarios, as what one can do in Taylor your own scenario however you want!

    Turning “dream mode” off now…
    Last edited by usnret; 07-25-2016 at 08:35 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    Hi Usnet, your wish has come true as I have found a way to run AI trains in a free roam scenario with all points/switches manually controlled from the map screen. Please see my post called Step-by-Step-guide-to-running-AI-trains-in-a-Free-Roam-Scenario

  3. #3

    Default

    Hi Bill !

    You, Jim Ward, Jonathan Lewis, Thomas Bontempo and others having been and some are partners of mine I have worked with, some of their Freeroam routes still being available from my web site, are aware of using my method of running AIs in them on tracks not used by their players, Jim Ward started doing years ago in his MSTS PON routes and then in the Railworks Pon and Chicago Metro routes, it taught me a lot, I have expanded on just know in my previous post.

    Signalling plays no part in them and is inefficient as it is, many have complained about.

    I do not need AIs to perform complicated tasks, that's my job and I rather watch what I am doing than what the AIs do. They and signalling are just eye-candy to me !

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    296

    Default

    I Think the replies so far do not realize that I am looking for a much more sophisticated way I want to run trains.

    I quote what I originally said:

    AI trains must not run on the same track as your freeroam train is proceeding on.
    That restricts what I want to do with AI trains, that may, by a higher priority, forces you to take a waiting siding.

    In my expanded route of the original Barstow-San Bernadine (which Otto knows of well) has long stretches of single track main lines with strategically located sections of double-tracks This. is where I want to see a conflict of opposing trains, as a dispatcher will deal with and determine ,which trains take a siding to allow an opposing train to pass.

    BTW, I almost accomplished this with an older version of TRAINZ, which caused me to see that a much better signal system and an intelligent digital dispatcher is needed, along with a good way of assigning a priority for all trains.

    What I want to do is run a train as experienced by real engineers (train drivers) as a low priority train, as a mid priority train, or as a high priority train such as a passenger train or as the original Pacific fruit express, a freight train that had priority over ALL trains in the past (before they had mechanical refrigeration instead of being packed with Ice.)

    And Otto, my friend, I have come to know how you like to run trains! But for me, I want to have the requirement of having to pay attention to signals which must, of course, operate correctly.

    In other words, I want to run train as close to prototypical operation requirements as I can.

    Of course, as I have already explained, this will require a rather smart digital dispatcher which may require far more java/C++ programming that far exceeds the size of the simulator core itself!

    Again, I am just dreaming...

    Best regards,

    Bill

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by usnret View Post
    I Think the replies so far do not realize that I am looking for a much more sophisticated way I want to run trains.

    I quote what I originally said:



    That restricts what I want to do with AI trains, that may, by a higher priority, forces you to take a waiting siding.

    In my expanded route of the original Barstow-San Bernadine (which Otto knows of well) has long stretches of single track main lines with strategically located sections of double-tracks This. is where I want to see a conflict of opposing trains, as a dispatcher will deal with and determine ,which trains take a siding to allow an opposing train to pass.

    BTW, I almost accomplished this with an older version of TRAINZ, which caused me to see that a much better signal system and an intelligent digital dispatcher is needed, along with a good way of assigning a priority for all trains.

    What I want to do is run a train as experienced by real engineers (train drivers) as a low priority train, as a mid priority train, or as a high priority train such as a passenger train or as the original Pacific fruit express, a freight train that had priority over ALL trains in the past (before they had mechanical refrigeration instead of being packed with Ice.)

    And Otto, my friend, I have come to know how you like to run trains! But for me, I want to have the requirement of having to pay attention to signals which must, of course, operate correctly.

    In other words, I want to run train as close to prototypical operation requirements as I can.

    Of course, as I have already explained, this will require a rather smart digital dispatcher which may require far more java/C++ programming that far exceeds the size of the simulator core itself!

    Again, I am just dreaming...

    Best regards,

    Bill
    Hi Bill, I have run an AI train in front of the player train with loads of AI trains running in the opposite direction of the player train. All of this was by using my method of working. When I get some time I will experiment with the service priority by running the AI train behind the player train where there are passing loops. I have had success with running the AI service in front and rear of a player train and will release this information when the confusion of running a basic quick drive free roam scenario has been taught to the community.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theskipper98 View Post
    I have had success with running the AI service in front and rear of a player train and will release this information when the confusion of running a basic quick drive free roam scenario has been taught to the community.
    Best of luck, Jeff !

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post


    Best of luck, Jeff !
    Thanks Otto I will need it lol

  8. #8

    Default

    Here are the RSSLO OBB 4023, 4024 and an OBB Taurus at busy Glognitz in my clone of the DTG Semmering Bahn route, running in my usual pathed Freeroam scenario, having many other players, loose consists and AI services running at 10 minutes intervals.

    https://youtu.be/A6Xyc13ZSDs

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theskipper98 View Post
    Hi Bill, I have run an AI train in front of the player train with loads of AI trains running in the opposite direction of the player train. All of this was by using my method of working. When I get some time I will experiment with the service priority by running the AI train behind the player train where there are passing loops. I have had success with running the AI service in front and rear of a player train and will release this information when the confusion of running a basic quick drive free roam scenario has been taught to the community.
    Maybe it is my fault for not properly explaining what I have been trying to say, so I will simply let it go.

    But I will look forward to seeing what it is you are trying to do, hoping that it will not involve digital gymnastics for the train enthusiast who is not computer literate to be able to apply. Several of my freeroam scenarios involve the use of several trains on a particular leg o my route, complete with an engineer (train driver) so that one can hoop from one train to another, but no AI trains, so far.

    So I will keep watching...

    Best regards,

    Bill

  10. #10

    Default

    Hi Bill !

    I am uploading a YouTube video of what one of my pathed Freeroam scenarios does in my clone of the DTG Semmering Bahn which should be ready for viewing in about an hour from now, YouTube says.

    After starting the main player and it reaching 50 KpH I have set Krellnut's Cruise Control and switched to x5 accelerated speed. The occasional missing overhead wires are caused by TS-2016 not being able to load them fast enough !

    https://youtu.be/HJYZJx_23t8

    Best to use FULL screen to view.

    It has many AIs spaced out on the tracks to Mürzzuschlag, most of them starting to run on the other mainline tracks when the scenario starts, except for the furthest away in the Mürzzuschlag area, which start later so that the player can see them running when it gets there.

    There are other players along the route to be changed to if required and on one occasion after having used my reverse loop at Mürzzuschlag found that the last AI to leave had not done so for some reason and coupling on to its rear and changing into its driver cab ran it back to Gloggnitz and have reported that in the forum at the time !

    All that is a lot of FUN and this here old dog is happy not having to learn new tricks !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •