Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freeroam scenareios with AI trains

Thanks, Otto.

But I note that you have a minimum of two tracks to run your trains on, but more often you have up to four or more tracks, so that there is a absolute minimum chance of having trains "competing" for the same piece of track!

Now, Otto, consider running trains over mostly single tracks (having strategically located passing sidings) and:

1. On a single section of track, your train is approaching at a higher speed, a slower train ahead of you. Surely you must see a yellow signal telling you to slow to half-speed, as the next signal will be red. While signals are nothing but "eye candy" for you, they are essential for me, wanting to run a train simulator as close as possible to the prototype!

2. you are puling a bunch of empties and you are a low priority train. As you approach a single track section, you get a red signal because:

a. That is an approaching train on that track that will soon pass you, and then be allowed to proceed on a green light (and switch points are aligned to allow you to go.) Of course we see this situation often in ordinary scenarios.

b. There is a higher priority train approaching on the other end of the single track, and must be allowed to proceed onto the single track. The engineer of your train now has plenty of time to eat his lunch!

Of course, I can always assign my train a higher priority, but every once in a while, I want to experience what a low priority train must do, with patience, to progress on a busy long stretch of mostly single track with passing sidings along the way.

And my scenario is still a freeroam scenario! (Really?)

What I want to be able to do, prior to beginning such a freeroam scenario, is to assign a priority to my train, and to assign opposing other AI trains as low, medium or high priority opposing traffic ( and perhaps including AI trains to be behind me with a higher priority) That way, I can have a different experience each time I play that scenario. Now that would be fun, indeed!

Now Imagine having the dispatcher (by radio, of course) tell you, you are being diverted to a siding to allow a faster train to pass you! Please not that what I want makes the term "freeroam" a bit fuzzy, as what I want begins to cease being a freeroam scenario. depending on what you setup for your run, the only thing "free" about it is your destination, but perhaps that would have to go, to make my idea work correctly. What I want may simply be a standard scenario but with the capability of complete flexibility, where you create your own conditions with opposing AI trains. You could go from what is essentially a freeroam run, with no destination, to a complex and opposed run with a chosen destination.

Otto, how many times have you run a standard scenario on any given route once or twice and never run it again?. On a scenario as flexible as I am suggesting, With all of the possible variations possible, I think it would never get old and stale!

Alas, I don't think TS2016 is capable of allowing users to do as I want. And I shutter at the thought of how much keyboard clatter of doing the java/C++ programing to provide this capability.

But if it could be done in TS2016 as I want it, Otto can do it!

Best regards!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by usnret View Post
    But if it could be done in TS2016 as I want it, Otto can do it!
    Thanks Bill for your confidence in me being able to do much in TS-2016 and have tried it years ago, getting frustrated not being able to do similar to what you want to do, having frustrated others too !

What TS-2016 could do with is letting the player also be the dispatcher, controlling traffic, shown running in a second window, like ORTS can, setting switches and signals as required !

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post

Thanks Bill for your confidence in me being able to do much in TS-2016 and have tried it years ago, getting frustrated not being able to do similar to what you want to do, having frustrated others too !

What TS-2016 could do with is letting the player also be the dispatcher, controlling traffic, shown running in a second window, like ORTS can, setting switches and signals as required !
    Having you, the player, being the dispatcher in a separate window should be easier to program then having a separate digital dispatcher as I have been suggesting.

That is a good idea that has been resting in your head long before I first started to running this simulator, forgetting how many years it has been! But sadly, I think this good idea is beyond the capabilities of DTG!

We both wait for the anticipated TS201? with UR-4, hoping maybe, just maybe that there are some good programmers hired that could provide some version of this good idea, Otto.

Best Regards,

Bill

It's long been my understanding that signals in TS/Railworks are more eye candy than anything functional.

Having you, the player, being the dispatcher in a separate window should be easier to program then having a separate digital dispatcher as I have been suggesting. l
    Below is how far ORTS have got it seems using one, showing the player and AIs running and it should be possible to set signals and switches to control what they do as required by clicking on their nodes. Can't find any info on how far they have by got doing a Google !

Especially useful when running ORTS in Multi-User mode, some like doing, one capable player having been appointed to be the session's Dispatcher.

Nothing else to do so I tried it.

Throwing the switch worked, but could not proceed, the train stopping and could not back it up to check what the problem is.

Likely being a proper Activity, not coded to allow me doing that, ORTS having problems allowing short path Freelance ones to run like Jim Ward started doing !

TS-2016 Freeroam Scenarios could use such a Dispatcher window and more, like AI trigger markers, but are no longer supported by DTG !

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Codger View Post
    It's long been my understanding that signals in TS/Railworks are more eye candy than anything functional.
    I think they work to a certain extent, but not so to be useful in the way I have been discussing here.

BTW I am an "old codger" as well, being 87 years young.

But Otto is the REAL old codger, he being about two months older then I am!
    Last edited by usnret; 07-29-2016 at 02:26 PM.

This DYN brakes problem also being mentioned today in the ORTS forum I did some more testing and this time it worked !

Mind you, if you Bill want to control many trains with such a Dispatcher then you need a Full Screen to see what they are all doing, you can toggle on and off !

BTW I am an "old codger" as well, being 87 years young.

But Otto is the REAL old codger, he being about two months older then I am!
    You both have me beat by about 22 years.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    This DYN brakes problem also being mentioned today in the ORTS forum I did some more testing and this time it worked !

Mind you, if you Bill want to control many trains with such a Dispatcher then you need a Full Screen to see what they are all doing, you can toggle on and off !
    Ah, wait a minute now!

The problem I see, being my own dispatcher, is too much dissetraction away from running a train!

I think I would still want a digital dispatcher, perhaps not so sophisticated as to be nearly human, but one which can take care of most of the obvious routines, but when there is a decision that the digital dispatcher cannot resolve, it refers the problem to you in a pop-up mini screen that you, now a "super dispatcher, can resolve on the fly.

An example: Two trains at sidings of equal priority are facing a single track section, both stopped facing a red signal and thus stalled. A quick pop-up then asks you, which train do you wish to proceed? If you are driving one of those trains, then you give the go-ahead to your own train, or to the other train and you wait for it to pass you, the digital dispatcher now giving you an automatic green signal and the switch points moved so that you can now proceed.

Here is what I want, Otto. Every time I wish to run a Freeroam scenario, I first give priority to all the AI trains existing. I can give myself a mid-priority as I give greater and lesser priorities to all the rest , and enjoy running my train with an experience for that priority set-up.

At another time, I can run the same scenario, but assign priorities differently, including my own train's priority.

Now, this is how I wish to run trains, as close as possible to the prototype, and enjoy a different experience every time!

One point: I may have to designate a destination for my train for this to work, thus it ceases to be a freeroam scenario, but that's fine with me, as I at least have the fun of running trains with different experiences each time!

As it is, you run other scenarios once or twice, and never run them again! You've been, done that! And that is why I mostly run normal freeroam scenarios, either the ones provided or ones I have made myself!

Best regards,

Bill