Thread: Step by Step guide to running AI trains in a Free Roam Scenario

Default Step by Step guide to running AI trains in a Free Roam Scenario

Hi everyone here is my guide showing you step by step how to run AI trains in a Free Roam scenario. I can only upload five jpegs at a time, so I will add the other screenshots to my next post.

First of all you run a route in quick drive, then go to the build editor and clone the quick drive scenario which will read copy of quick drive scenario. Then open the copy of quick drive scenario in the scenario editor in rw tools and save the quick drive scenario as a Free roam scenario and the result is you now have a random quick drive with AI trains. You can do this every time that you run a quick drive route by cloning and creating a Freeroam scenario in rw tools. Also when you come of route you can pick up freight wagons and shunt and drive anywhere and jump to different services.

Also you must have RW tools which is now freeware to change the Quick drive Scenario to Free roam for this to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by theskipper98; 07-26-2016 at 07:24 AM.

Default Part 2

First of all you run a route in quick drive, then go to the build editor and clone the quick drive scenario which will read copy of quick drive scenario. Then open the copy of quick drive scenario in the scenario editor in rw tools and save the quick drive scenario as a Free roam scenario and the result is you now have a random quick drive with AI trains. You can do this every time that you run a quick drive route by cloning and creating a Freeroam scenario in rw tools. Also when you come of route you can pick up freight wagons and shunt and drive anywhere and jump to different services.

Also you must have RW tools which is now freeware to change the Quick drive Scenario to Free roam for this to work.
    Last edited by theskipper98; 07-26-2016 at 07:25 AM.

Default Part 3

As you can see all the points/switches are all controlled manually in the map screen. I do have more tips but I will give these away once I know that the train simulator community gets this working, as there has been some confusion within the community in how my idea works.

I really hope that my screen shots help as my idea turns trains simulator into an open world sim. This works on all Quick Drive routes and the possibilities are endless. Hopefully many peoples wishes will come true as this has been mentioned on the forums for some time with the conclusion that it cannot be done!

I will talk about driving the AI trains in the opposite direction to the player train and having total control of points/switches when there is less confusion within the community members, as i want to help the train sim community to get this running and not confuse people even more, because once you get this up and running the possibilities are endless turning this excellent train sim into an open world sim.

I came across this idea for some time and wanted to share my idea with the train sim community so that it will enhance their experience as the scenario never ends allowing the user freedom to do what they want in the sim.

And finally I would like to thank Mike Simpson for giving the train sim community a wonderful tool, as RW Tools really is magic and enhances an excellent train simulator.
    Last edited by theskipper98; 07-26-2016 at 08:18 AM.

Excellent, Jeffrey !

That's the way to do it and a method of using scenarios which already have many Loose Consists and AI services running and can use only one player !

The attached screenshots can now be enlarged as many usually allow !

Could have a problem with trailing switches, when closed to the now multiple Players running over them and derailing them, Marc Nelson has given me a fix some time ago, I published in the forum.

Having RW_Tools changing all >0</MANUAL> entries in the route's Tracks.bin to >1</MANUAL> fixes that !

Not sure how that effects existing scenarios in routes, not usually using any, preferring my pathed Freeroam scenarios and it is a good idea to also first CLONE a route before changing anything tracks and rolling stock related in them !

What is still missing in TS-2016 are AIs launching markers for Freeroam scenarios which can start specific or specified random train consists into the direction a player is coming from and having run a short distance disappear again.

Doing that there will be no need for timing their start, not knowing when a player will get near them and also not waste CPU resources running them where they can not be seen by the running the Freeroam player.

It can be done with scripts similar to gated crossings over tracks, pulling their 2 region markers along the tracks as far as necessary, triggering the start of an AI towards to run towards an approaching Player as soon as it gets into it !

DTG no longer supplying Freeroam scenarios that is not likely to happen any time soon and hope that they will restore them in their UE4 version and include such AIs starting trigger markers !

There are still many silent more experienced users of TS-2016 in the forums, reading them, including DTG staff, but not posting much !

Take care and have FUN !

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    Excellent, Jeffrey !

That's the way to do it and a method of using scenarios which already have many Loose Consists and AI services running and can use only one player !

The attached screenshots can now be enlarged as many usually allow !

Could have a problem with trailing switches, when closed to the now multiple Players running over them and derailing them, Marc Nelson has given me a fix some time ago, I published in the forum.

Having RW_Tools changing all >0</MANUAL> entries in the route's Tracks.bin to >1</MANUAL> fixes that !

Not sure how that effects existing scenarios in routes, not usually using any, preferring my pathed Freeroam scenarios and it is a good idea to also first CLONE a route before changing anything tracks and rolling stock related in them !

What is still missing in TS-2016 are AIs launching markers for Freeroam scenarios which can start specific or specified random train consists into the direction a player is coming from and having run a short distance disappear again.

Doing that there will be no need for timing their start, not knowing when a player will get near them and also not waste CPU resources running them where they can not be seen by the running the Freeroam player.

It can be done with scripts similar to gated crossings over tracks, pulling their 2 region markers along the tracks as far as necessary, triggering the start of an AI towards to run towards an approaching Player as soon as it gets into it !

DTG no longer supplying Freeroam scenarios that is not likely to happen any time soon and hope that they will restore them in their UE4 version and include such AIs starting trigger markers !

There are still many silent more experienced users of TS-2016 in the forums, reading them, including DTG staff, but not posting much !

Take care and have FUN !
    Thanks Otto,

When the train sim community get used to running a free roam scenario with AI trains then I will add more pictures of how to drive a player train with manual points operated from the map view and I will explain how to drive any AI train on the route. I have decided to take a step by step approach as I have found that there has been a lot of confusion with my idea.
    Best wishes

Great idea but what is RW tools and how exactly within it do you save it as a freeroam scenario? many thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by signalnorth View Post
    Great idea but what is RW tools and how exactly within it do you save it as a freeroam scenario? many thanks in advance
    Made by Mike Simpson.

http://www.agenetools.com/downloads.html
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0