Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red & White Geep Sixteen

Default Red & White Geep Sixteen

I decided it was time to finally make this for Open Rails. I started working on this yesterday, and sent it off to Maxwell for the final touches with the logos, weathering, etc.

Clarendon & Pittsford GP16 #802, former Seaboard System, built as a GP7 for the Atlantic Coast Line. Not too often does this locomotive make it's way out of Burlington Yard, but on Thursday of last week, I operated her from Burlington to Middlebury VT, with 8 loads and 1 empty. Let's just say, she was basically notch 8 most of the way and barely hitting 30mph.

I'm hoping to either do a freight animation for the ditchlights and the old remote control light system on the top of the cab, or contact the original author for these features.

https://i.imgur.com/LPZNEX4.png

What are you doing to make it an OR model? 3dCab? Textures? Physics? Multiple FAs?

BTW I have begun adding a Symbol to the Name line of Engines made for or modified for ORTS. * for textures that won't display in MSTS. $ for 3dCabview. @ for ORTS engine folder.
    Last edited by crstagg; 07-27-2016 at 11:15 AM.
    Charles

Well, I am specifically not making it ORTS only, though ORTS is the only program I can run on my laptop..

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    Well, I am specifically not making it ORTS only, though ORTS is the only program I can run on my laptop..
    OK. BUT what is it going to have for ORTS?
    Charles

I guess nothing. It will still be compatible with MSTS for those that can still run that program. If I had more luxury time I'm sure I could do more to keep it ORTS only. However, working for the real deal, limits my time.

I guess nothing. It will still be compatible with MSTS for those that can still run that program. If I had more luxury time I'm sure I could do more to keep it ORTS only. However, working for the real deal, limits my time.
    Then why are you calling it an ORTS add-on?

Who imposed a time limit? Take all the time needed and create a real ORTS add-on. There is enough MSTS.
    Charles

Okay, well forgive me for calling it ORTS. As I simply wrote earlier. ORTS is the only thing able to run on my hunk of junk laptop, where as MSTS will not work. So most of my work because "ORTS" friendly.

Needless to say, what I release, can be used on both platforms, though I prefer ORTS anyways.
    Last edited by CSRX; 07-29-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Okay, well forgive me for calling it ORTS. As I simply wrote earlier. ORTS is the only thing able to run on my hunk of junk laptop, where as MSTS will not work. So most of my work because "ORTS" friendly.

Needless to say, what I release, can be used on both platforms, though I prefer ORTS anyways.
    Shawn...

I'm glad to see you creating items and releasing them. That is the most important thing here.

As an MSTS user, If you decide to make it only for ORTS, I completely support your decision.

Because it is YOUR engine, and you should design it however YOU want.

If I decide I want to use it, all I have to do is download ORTS to use it. Sooner or Later, I'll get around to doing that anyway...

I only ask, on the behalf of other MSTS users, that if you are not sure if it will be MSTS compatible, that you note, at least, in the file description, that it was only tested in ORTS, and may not work in MSTS.

Best Wishes On Completing Your Creation!
    Yardmaster of the Great American Moose Paint Shops.
    a Moose Interchange Rail Company division.
    http://mjrmstsrepaints.proboards.com
    TTFN!

Just to note, I do typically send out my work to beta testers, which range from MSTS and ORTS users. Though if and when I upload it here, it will of course get the "MSTS" tag, due to ORTS not having it's own upload/download section as we see with MSTS, Railworks, etc.

However that doesn't mean I won't have in the description "ORTS" as I have been recently with my releases. Except last thing I released, I quickly pulled as there was some issues concerning the font's and such. I haven't even touched those locomotives since, and probably won't ever get those released again..

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    .....Take all the time needed and create a real ORTS add-on. There is enough MSTS.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion However how about converting some .eng files from MSTS to OR for us Charles? Maybe a conversion utility to fix smoke, brakes, power etc? I like OR and it really moves MSTS forward but it just needs so much tweaking to get ALL the MSTS stuff to run right, or at least to it's full potential.

This ISN'T an MSTS v OR comment. Far from it. However it strikes me that all recent threads on downloads for OR seem to miss "The Bleedin' Obvious" fact that there is a HUGE library of MSTS stock which would run better in OR with some physics tweaks. Trouble is that converting every download to be compatible becomes THE hobby in itself ...and most would rather run any train in any sim rather than sit pouring over ,eng's and .wag's in Wordpad or Context.

There's a certain irony in the fact that in the REAL WORLD the US and Canadian Railroads recycled and updated (and continue to do so) much of their locomotive stock. Trade in truck's, re-engined, updated controls, updated electric motors etc.etc. etc. ....and yet here in the hobby all anyone seems to be interested is "NEW". Well recycled and updated IS new ...because it hasn't been available before?

Frankly the persistent cry from some quarters about what OR is capable of that MSTS isn't reminds me of the rush to change to RS/RW/TS20XX in some quarters. Yes they got some stuff that MSTS could never do .....but their chosen sim STILL can't do some things as well as MSTS. That's a question of choice?

However the massive library of 15 years worth of MSTS add-ons is a gift horse only an idiot would ignore or decry
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK