Thread: Free Roam scenario creation on Sherman Hill

Default Free Roam scenario creation on Sherman Hill

I'm working on a scenario I've titled "Laramie activities" which will allow the player to choose several activities. The first one involves a turnaround from the yard to the cement plant with locomotives at both ends of the train (push-pull) to avoid either backing the train all the way up to the plant or running past the plant up to the next passing siding, running the locomotives around the train and doing the switching on the way back to the yard.

This is only my 3rd attempt at scenario creation, so I have numerous questions, some of which will undoubtably be stupid.

1. When placing locomotives, what does "ND" following the locomotive model mean? The locomotives appear functionally the same whether there is an "ND" or not.
    2. When there are multiple locomotives, is it possible to shut one of more down while the others continue to operate?
    3. Is the scenario I create located in a separate file that can be copied and shared?

Thanks,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by eaneubauer View Post
    This is only my 3rd attempt at scenario creation, so I have numerous questions, some of which will undoubtably be stupid.

1. When placing locomotives, what does "ND" following the locomotive model mean? The locomotives appear functionally the same whether there is an "ND" or not.
    2. When there are multiple locomotives, is it possible to shut one of more down while the others continue to operate?
    3. Is the scenario I create located in a separate file that can be copied and shared?
    1.) ND means the loco shows No Driver in its cab, but can be driven in Freeroam scenarios.
    2.) Only one loco at a time can operate in a Freeroam scenario, after having been clicked on when not being in the cab of the current active one.
    3.) Every scenario has its folder in the routes Scenarios Folder.

Searching this forum for OTTODAD and FREEROAM will tell you much of what can be done in Freeroam scenarios !

As Otto pointed out: it is merely cosmetic. You should use the ND engines for every engine in a train except the first. Usually only the first engine in a train is manned, the others are remotely controlled.

Generally yes (just try it out). But if you switch off an engine belonging to the player train, the in-cab camera gets confused and doesn't recognise the first cab anymore.

The Scenario is located in its own folder in between the route folder belonging to the route the scenario is written for.
    For instance:
    ...\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks\Content\Route s\0f767da1-8c59-4e4b-b91f-6eeded4fe891\Scenarios\32e215b1-a709-4715-830c-2c3236fb6c1c

"0f767da1-8c59-4e4b-b91f-6eeded4fe891" is a particular route and "32e215b1-a709-4715-830c-2c3236fb6c1c" is the folder of a scenario.
    There are *.bin files in there which can be converted into xml (and back) with the tool serz.exe, located in the railworks main folder.
    A great help for editing this stuff is the tool RW_Tools (www.rstools.info).

Thank you to all who replied. I've concluded the following two items from further efforts. If any of these don't makes sense, I'd like to know the truth.

Once a locomotive is selected in Free Roam, it is impossible to change to another locomotive without coupling to it.
    It is possible to couple the player locomotive to an AI train but uncoupling doesn't turn it back into an AI train.

Also, I created a heavy AI train with the intention of it stalling out when it got to a grade. Once it did, I was able to come up behind it and successfully couple to it at 1MPH while it was doing 0.5 MPH. I pushed it from just outside of Laramie over the hill all the way to Perkins Siding. Unfortunately, I was unable to uncouple from it with appropriate couplers showing in red on the uncoupling schematic.

I have run into similar coupling/uncoupling failures in other places. Are there any rules to this behavior or tricks to get by it?

Thanks,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by eaneubauer View Post
    Once a locomotive is selected in Free Roam, it is impossible to change to another locomotive without coupling to it, It is possible to couple the player locomotive to an AI train but uncoupling doesn't turn it back into an AI train.
    Applies only to MSTS !

In a Railworks Freeroam Scenario you have to use an outside camera view to be able to click on another Player loco, which will take you into its cab to drive it !

I'm getting better at creating the scenarios. The current one I'm working on is a 90 car loaded coal train from Speer over the Borie Cut-off which can eventually be stopped in front of the Laramie station. When I operate the train, I have recurring problems with the train splitting in half, typically going downhill where there are curves, that is after Hermosa. This seems to be a common problem with long trains in other scenarois as well. I have been unable to anticipate when this is going to happen, or take corrective action. Sure I can go back and couple up to the rest of my train, but this is a pain. Has anyone found a solution? One the funnier side, I even got the train to split into three pieces before it stopped once.

I appear to have solved my own problem as far as handling long/heavy trains downhill on curves. Repetitive applying and releasing of the train brake seems to do the trick. I apply 24% brakes as the locomotives enter the curve and release when they are about to exit. Leaving the throttle at 38% helps keep the speed up. The train passing through reverse curves is the hardest situation. This technique did not work on the second to last single curve before Laramie Station, but coasting through the curve at 15% dynamic brakes did the trick and worked on the last curve too. Uphill there is never a problem as long as no abrubt changes are made. I'm sure glad there was a solution, because having trains long break apart seemingly at random really spoils the enjoyment of a scenario.
    Also in Free Roam I've found that giving the driver fly-out too much information appears to cause problems, specifically filling in the destination line. In my scenario, the heavy coal train is intended to be the player train, and does not have the via/stops icon applied either. All other trains are automatic with via/stop instructions. I noticed that the speed set in the instruction acts as an upper limit, so if you put 1 MPH, the AI train will slow to 1 MPH while passing. One AI path crosses right in front of the player train which works fine if the switches are set for the AI train in build mode. I have to reset the switches for the player train to proceed, but that's easy enough.