Thread: AE issue with newest BIN version

Default AE issue with newest BIN version

I'm working on an activity, something I rarely do, and so when I tried using Action Events in the AE I was surprised to find only one listed where I remembered there being a number of choices.

After a little research here, I found this is a known problem, and the quick fix is to use an older version of the dialog.dll and string.dll files. I originally had BIN v.1.8.052113 installed, so I uninstalled it (using its own uninstall.exe) and installed BIN v.1.7.051922, the last stable version. Rather than going with saving the two .dll files, uninstalling the older and re-installing the newer, I just left the older version of BIN there just to see if things in the AE worked.

First problem I encountered was that my train.exe file was missing. Thinking that I may have deleted it by mistake (no other explanation), I copied one in from another install I had, patched it up to v1.4 again, and tried running it. It worked, and my AE problem was fixed.

However, after a reboot, MSTS would not run, citing numerous missing files.

I decided to uninstall and reinstall BIN again; and sure enough, while I watched, the uninstall deleted my train.exe and a bunch of other stuff in the Train Simulator folder.

I haven't seen any mention of this anywhere; has anyone encountered this? I know (or think I know) that BIN alters the train.exe file, and apparently when you uninstall it removes that file thinking that it is part of the BIN installation.

I guess now I'm looking at a re-installation of MSTS.

As an aside, I have the newer BIN installed on another computer, and had the same problem in the AE (Action Events). I copied the older .dll files and installed them on the second computer, and that solved the AE problem there.

Crazy stuff...
    Jeff

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool.

The Bin install routine saves copies of the original files in a folder and restores from these when uninstalled. MSTSBIN_BACKUP is the folder name and all of the original files are in there with a number suffix in place of the file type.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Hmmm... did not know that.

Well, BIN may have been SUPPOSED to copy things back, but in this case it did not.

I'll copy the files back manually.

Thanks! Saved me a lot of work! :-)
    Jeff

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool.

Hi Jeff,
    Just a heads up:
    MSTS Bin has absolutely nothing to do with running the MSTS Editors or ANY part of Open Rails at all!

Getting the Bin install instructions wrong can surely clobber your MSTS though.
    I find printing the instructions so I have a piece of paper in front of me helps big time on complex installs.

regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 08-18-2016 at 03:51 PM.
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

To get the drop down list you need to use the dialog.dll dated 5/29/2007.
    Regards,

Eric