Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lirr public beta almost ready

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    I want to tell you that your previous interesting posts about this route motivated me to go out and buy two Morning Sun LIRR books and a A&R video to learn more about it. So not only am I saying I'm interested, but I've done something about it.
    Christopher
    You might want to check this one out to Chris. https://www.amazon.com/Long-Island-R...sland+railroad

Morning Sun books are nearly twice the price of MBI Railroad Color History Books and despite being an avid collector of Railway/Road books they're too rich for me
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Hi Vince,

Really looking forward to this. Long neglected and interesting RR.

Looking at the Track Diagram I struggled initially to work out what was included using the current MTA map but then found this older map
    http://www.lirrhistory.com/jan99/1938map.jpg
    ......which immediately looks pretty much like the track diagram.

Q1.My questions are what era is it set in? IMO the more track the better (historically/era accurate or not .....because you can't run earlier era stock on rails that aren't there! ) just to silence rivet counters . This is even more an issue with UK routes so I'd confess that it's "a bee in my bonnet" LOL!

Q2.Also what era is the included stock?

Q3.Also as the track diagram lacks names I'm taking it that the Northernmost is Port Washington? East are Mineola and Hempstead? and SE is Long Beach?

Q4.Finally did you tweak the stock for OR?

Sorry that's a bit of a list but that's because I've been watching this with interest since you announced it
    PS
    Just found these other maps http://www.lirrhistory.com/maps.html
    A1. Set in the era 1945 to 1956. A wonderful mix of Steam, Diesel, Electric and MU operations.

A2. As this is a Public Beta release for route testing purposes all default stock is used except three diesel engines built by Harold Clitheroe for the NEC4 route that somehow got lost from the original upload but are included here. I'm still trying to find permission to release the SF-Express trainset. Anyone know who made this trainset as I use it for all the route inspection runs as it is capable of high speed running for inspection runs and THAT saves me a lot of time. The trainset in in I think the Wupper route used by Otto for the same purpose as I use.
    Not attempting to be prototypical here EXCEPT for the route! The route come first and then the correct stock can be added. and there are loads of it in the various file libraries.

A3. Basically correct Ged. I will upload a map with locations. Line to Northwest is Hellgate Bridge to Oak Point Yard in the Bronx. This area has sparse scenery north of the Hellgate Bridge (the bridge is just past where the line makes a turn from a northwest heading to a northeast heading. Long Beach is the far SE corner

A4. No tweaking of stock other than brake parameter, coupler break strength and diesel smoke adjustments. I'm having a bit of a problem with wheel slip on my diesels but will correct prior to release.

Lots more information in the route documents folder. I was up 'till 2 AM getting what I thought was a simple pick-up-freight-cars activity which drove me nuts. Fixed now and the activity runs perfectly in OR Autopilot Mode, coupling up to all wagons perfectly!

As expected of me this will be a DoubleClick Install. No spanned zips. Just click and go and with FULL user control over where the downloaded files go without pain and confusion.

There will be fully detailed install instructions provided with the route. This is just to give folks an idea of what to expect.

First, I recommend you first create a new folder on your desktop. I called mine LIRR_OpenRails.
    This is the folder that you will direct the installer where to load the route into.
    1. D/L the Zip archive to your desktop.

2. Open the archive and double click on the Install-LIRR.EXE

3. After a minute or so, you will be prompted to direct the install to a folder of your choice.
    I directed mine to the new folder I created.

4. When the installer completes, Start your Open Rails, Go to Options >> Content and set up the new folder as the LIRR route.
    That's it! You're done.

In the download you'll see a file named TRAIN.EXE. This is a pseudo executable in name only.
    I'm not allowed to distribute the real train.exe executable so It's actually a text file renamed as an TRAIN.EXE file. This is so you will be able to use Route_Riter to verify the route survived your download and install process.
    Now on to finish up the last freight activity which involves
    1. assembling two cuts of 10 coal loads, a loaded chlorine tanker and a caboose while dealing with yard traffic at 4AM!
    note: NEC102 GP38 is equipped with light cones at each end making navigation through a complex yard easy. Oh did I mention that this toughest part of the activity (night time) can be run in OR Autopilot Mode. HIGHLY recommended running for the first time.
    2. It's about a 30 mile run with a short 1.8% Maspeth Grade that will bring your GP38 to the ground if not approached correctly. The Long Island Lighting Co generating station at Island Park is where you will have to deal with a pretty cool switching problem (working on that right now) and dealing with AI passenger traffic which must not be delayed.
    This activity is based on a writup by a LIRR engineer who wrote up how he went about it. If I can find the link I will post.
    My Album has pics. and I will update the track map with a legend.
    edit add: LIRR Route Map with Names
    LIRR_Public_BETA Annotated Map 08-19-16.jpg
    regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 08-19-2016 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added annotated map
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Looking forward to this Vince...
    Grandparents of mine lives in Elmont, they have been taking the LIRR in Valley Stream off Sunrise Hwy. They usually take the train to Brooklyn where they get the best, fresh foods and produce.. They always avoid the SSP and Belt if you know what that means... Good job!!
    Dave Edwards

This is really awesome! I worked with a guy, that knew the Hellgate Bridge, Oak Point, and Sunnyside Yard very well. The LIRR had always interested me, considering it's location.
    http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System

The portion of the route from Wards Island Harlem River which is just north of the Hellgate Bridge to Oak point is woefully incomplete. All temporary track with no order at all. A present it's just a good spot to start AI traffic trains.
    The Hellgate Bridge, the Astoria Viaduct and Harlem River Bridge ( and everything else) are done!
    Polishing up these 22 activities is taking longer than I thought. I am filling up a yards with loose consists. I was going to do it for all 22 activities but gave up that idea after the first five took me three days! . . . it's an unstable Activity Editor or user or both!

The 20 coal load delivery from Long Island City to Island Park to the Bay Ridge car float yards is almost complete with the reverse points at Island Park and the path to Bay Ridge still to do. The Central Pickups Activity is complete except for a bridge over the Meadowbrook Parkway somehow went missing. I figure maybe another week will see the route in the library. Cutting down the d/l size is gonna' take some doing.

regards,

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

This is probably a really dumb question, considering this is a LIRR route, but didn't the New York Central Railroad serve the Sunnyside Yard/Oak Point locations back in the day as well?

For some reason I recall seeing somewhere, that back before the 1950's, the NYC Railroad use to serve these locations as well as far down in Manhattan.

The stories come from the former co-worker, who talked about how freight use to be on street level, as well as elevated trackage, serving the many customers in these downtown locations.
    I can only image what it must have been like.
    Even the location I currently reside, was scattered with railroad tracks back in the 1920's. Sigh, now we just have a dinky little yard, and even then, the city still wants it...

New York Central may have had track rights into Sunnyside but the main player was the New Haven RR. They hauled via the New York Connecting RR through Fresh Pond Junction all the way to the Bay Ridge car float yards and the Brooklyn Army Terminal. They had an electric engine maintenance facility at a small yard at 8th Ave that closed in 1957. It is modeled in this route!

regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    New York Central may have had track rights into Sunnyside but the main player was the New Haven RR. They hauled via the New York Connecting RR through Fresh Pond Junction all the way to the Bay Ridge car float yards and the Brooklyn Army Terminal. They had an electric engine maintenance facility at a small yard at 8th Ave that closed in 1957. It is modeled in this route!

regards,
    That is Excellent! Really looking forward to this.

SF Express is one of Otto's trainsets. The model it'sself is based off of Kurt's Seaview Express stock.

Robert

Looking forward to this, Vince. The NY Connecting was a very interesting operation, and the timeframe would allow the use of everything from NH EF1 electrics to PAs (when McGinnis decided to dieselize electric freight operations). And, because this is a HOBBY after all, I'll be sure to run Steve Thomas' 1960s vintage New Haven EF4 'bricks' as well.

Now, if only I could find that half finished EF3.....

http://m.iphotoscrap.com/Image/904/1235094527.jpg
    Last edited by rfranzosa; 08-23-2016 at 11:29 AM.