Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steam & DTG Updates - More

Default Steam & DTG Updates - More

Still getting daily updates from Steam and again today a 893 MB update from DTG, stopping it and trying to run TS-2016 Off-Line could not, having been able to do it since something changed a couple of days ago and has changed again !

I am working on the just released New Haven-Springfield route, adding my usual reverse loops at both ends.

Its tracks layouts being HUGE it is brittle using its Editors, crashing repeatedly on my WIN-7 Pro, 64-bit, 8 GB Ram computer !

So now I have to sit here and can not do anything with TS-2016 until this download has finished !

Using my computers for most of the day, having nothing much else left I can do in my life, my old age health not allowing it !

I have HAD enough of this from them, DTG's repeating Sales indicating that their Sales volume is not what it should be and shall continue to buy only routes from their third party partners Aerosoft, Just Trains and many others like the Albula, I had much fun running after having modified them, like the Aerosoft Berlin - Leipzig route !

There is also no point in posting any more in this forum about what I do with TS-2016 routes and rolling stock, modifying and improving what I can, as TS-2016 has changed much and modifying it is now more difficult then ever for others to do !

One more hour to go and shall browse the Web, News and what else of interest to me is going on !

It was a Semmering Bahn update, I do not want, having modified it heavily to do what I want !

Deleted its Assets and Route's APs.

That's it, no more from Steam and DTG as far as I concerned !

I am staying Off-Line when running TS-2016 from now on and hope that their UE4 Train Simulator will do what I want, if it ever sees Gold while I am still alive !

The update took 8 minutes on my computer.

Is it DTGs fault you have a slow internet connection?

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    It was a Semmering Bahn update, I do not want, having modified it heavily to do what I want !

Deleted its Assets and Route's APs.

That's it, no more from Steam and DTG as far as I concerned !

I am staying Off-Line when running TS-2016 from now on and hope that their UE4 Train Simulator will do what I want, if it ever sees Gold while I am still alive !
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kevmc291 View Post
    The update took 8 minutes on my computer. Is it DTGs fault you have a slow internet connection?
    No, it is the UK BT-Openreach Rural Broadband's fault !

I live near Thornbury, Bristol and this has been going on for years:

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/barrage-complaints-fury-rural-broadband-scandal/story-23004988-detail/story.html

DTG are a UK company and are aware of this state of slow Broadband in many parts of the UK !

I am complaining that DTG forces their Updates on me I do not want and have no need for !

Then stay off-line and quit complaining!

Quote Originally Posted by latimers View Post
    Then stay off-line and quit complaining!
    I shall, complainers get nowhwere with DTG !

......and THAT gentlemen sums up "In a Nutshell" why I uninstalled Railworks and carried on with MSTS and OR. A shame really because I had hoped that things would improve

BTW Kevin does the expression "I'm all right Jack" ring any bells?

.....and Bob, a customer has every right to complain about poor support.

Whilst it obviously suits DTG to dump all their upgrades on STEAM the concept of "upgrades" and "patches" is as old as computing itself and right from the beginning it was realised that :-
    1) Not ALL upgrades or patches are needed by everyone
    2) Users might need to schedule these for times when they weren't using their machines
    3) The method of best delivering said upgrades and patches might be best achieved differently for different users.

Whilst many areas of the globe now have superfast broadband MANY more DON'T

Purely, from my point of view academic interest, why is it so difficult to release patches that don't overwrite customised or personalised installs? ....and why do DTG not provide an alternative to STEAM? After all if STEAM is so good they'd only be supporting a few users for whom it doesn't work well? ...wouldn't they? OR is STEAM, perhaps not all it's cracked up to be?

BTW before you reply these are SERIOUS questions so please restrict your answers to helpful fact rather than personal attacks or criticism. It would be great to get an official response from DTG too.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

In the beginning... EA and RSDL (whatever they were called back then) did directly support Rail Simulator rather than use Steam. Main problem with that, is that any add-ons they sold were on a limited install basis - I think it was three times before you had to apply for a new unlock code if they deigned to give you one.

I'm not a huge fan of Steam but sadly these days it is a necessary evil especially if, like me, your interests extend into the wider area of PC gaming not just train sims.

If Otto wants a true standalone train sim, perhaps he should learn to embrace one of the older versions of Trainz (such as TS2010) which can be run offline once the install code has been entered. However even there, sooner or later, you find yourself drawn to the Download Station in search of better content - but at least you don't get spammed with updates.
    Vern.

Hi Geoff !

Spot on, you have said it all !

There used to be an option on Steam which appeared to have given users the options to refuse updates, but clicking on it never worked and has now disappeared altogether !

In any case have a complete BACK-UP of all Steam and its SteamApps folders and if a Update with its APs could mess up my modifications then I simply delete them and to make sure RESTORE my recent BACK-UP of whatever.

I do not use Steam for anything else !

Yes, paying customers of anything have the right to complain, but many do not bother, being able to afford paying for rubbish and in any case is being ignored by many suppliers !

Hi Vern !

Yes I had Trainz since the beginning and buying its versions right up to the ill-fated New Area Collectors Edition things got worse. Their abysmal splined switches are still showing, I have complained about for years in their forum, but have supplied its users with my fix for stopping its Speed Trees from waving about like drunks, wind or no wind !

Like WINDOWS and other software suppliers, they give users the option to refuse updates and reminders keep popping up from time to time from the likes of UltraEdit, FileZilla, Adobe and others when running their programs !

I am in charge of what my computer does and nobody is allowed to make any changes to it and what runs on it unless I have approved it !

DTG are not getting any more money from me, having spent thousands of on Railworks DLCs, unless I can just purchase them and not get any updates I do not want at the same time when being On-Line to Steam, wasting my time and preventing me from using my WIN-7 computer for many hours, because of the CRAP UK SLOW COPPER CABLES BROADBAND which is still being used in many rural areas !

Geoff, I'll take that as a slight dig, rather than a personal attack
    Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post

BTW Kevin does the expression "I'm all right Jack" ring any bells?

BTW before you reply these are SERIOUS questions so please restrict your answers to helpful fact rather than personal attacks or criticism. It would be great to get an official response from DTG too.
    My broadband isn't particularly fast, it's average for a city dweller.
    But if one chooses to live out in the sticks, then it is a fact of life that the internet will be slower.
    Last edited by kevmc291; 08-27-2016 at 12:57 PM.
    Kevin