Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Steam & DTG Updates - More

Otto,

I don't see the relevance of the question, so I'll try to explain what I understand to be the method used with the .ap files. I'm sure others can confirm what I say.

Say you buy DLC from DTG for the first Castle pack. When you download it, there is a folder set up in Assets\DTG called "CastlePack01". Inside that folder is one file "CastlePack01Assets.ap". If you open that .ap file with 7zip, you will see a structure much like the old pre-.ap file folder structure with folders called "Audio", "Inputmappers", "Lights", etc.

If you don't add any modifications, TS2016 will read that .ap file when you want to use that loco.

The loco can be modified (and has been by the Steam Sounds Supreme sound pack) by adding more folders outside the .ap file. In this case the "CastlePack01" folder now contains more folders in addition to the .ap file. These are "Audio", "Inputmappers" and "Railvehicles". The files in these additional folders are used rather than the corresponding files in the .ap file. This is a known fact.

In order to remove the modification it is necessary only to remove the additional folders. If that's done, TS2016 reverts to using the files in the .ap file.

If DTG wants to update the loco it will modify the .ap file. It won't touch the additional folders if they are still there. So the files in the additional folders will still be used in preference over what is in the updated .ap file.

There is a bit of an unknown about how DTG modifies the .ap files. My experience is that, based on the size of the actual download, it doesn't replace the whole .ap file (some of these are over 1Gb). DTG appears to be able to replace individual files inside an .ap file.

Hope that helps.

Bob.

Otto, I for one, can confirm that what Bob says below is correct.
    I have done this on a number of routes, and it works.
    There is no need to delete or remove AP files

Quote Originally Posted by latimers View Post
    Otto,

I don't see the relevance of the question, so I'll try to explain what I understand to be the method used with the .ap files. I'm sure others can confirm what I say.

Say you buy DLC from DTG for the first Castle pack. When you download it, there is a folder set up in Assets\DTG called "CastlePack01". Inside that folder is one file "CastlePack01Assets.ap". If you open that .ap file with 7zip, you will see a structure much like the old pre-.ap file folder structure with folders called "Audio", "Inputmappers", "Lights", etc.

If you don't add any modifications, TS2016 will read that .ap file when you want to use that loco.

The loco can be modified (and has been by the Steam Sounds Supreme sound pack) by adding more folders outside the .ap file. In this case the "CastlePack01" folder now contains more folders in addition to the .ap file. These are "Audio", "Inputmappers" and "Railvehicles". The files in these additional folders are used rather than the corresponding files in the .ap file. This is a known fact.

In order to remove the modification it is necessary only to remove the additional folders. If that's done, TS2016 reverts to using the files in the .ap file.

If DTG wants to update the loco it will modify the .ap file. It won't touch the additional folders if they are still there. So the files in the additional folders will still be used in preference over what is in the updated .ap file.

There is a bit of an unknown about how DTG modifies the .ap files. My experience is that, based on the size of the actual download, it doesn't replace the whole .ap file (some of these are over 1Gb). DTG appears to be able to replace individual files inside an .ap file.

Hope that helps.

Bob.
    Last edited by kevmc291; 08-28-2016 at 06:39 PM.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kevmc291 View Post
    Otto, I can confirm that what Bob says below is correct.
    I am a professional programmer and do not know how to remotely open a ZIP, WINRAR, etc, archive on a user's computer, modify some of its content and then archive it again.

That would leave all doors open to all sorts of hackers !

If that can be done then I would like to know how !

Otto,

I too have been a professional programmer and I don't know how they do it either. But that doesn't mean it can't be done. I'm sure there are ways of preventing hackers from doing the same thing. What I know is that I have had quite small downloads (a few Mb) during updates and, when I check for files with that day's date, find an .ap file that is over 1Gb in size and the update certainly hasn't downloaded the whole thing.

However they update the .ap files is not actually important to this discussion.

Bob.

Bob.

Hi Bob !

I don't really care how DTG do what and am happy with what I have been doing up to now to stop anybody, including Microsoft, to mess with my WIN-7 computer !

I am staying off-line when running programs which do not require a connection to the Internet and AVAST. Not being a Gamer there are few !

So if you are staying offline, why all this whinging about DTG updates?????

Quote Originally Posted by latimers View Post
    So if you are staying offline, why all this whinging about DTG updates?????
    I am staying off-line to Steam now because all my "WHINGING", as you call it, has got me no satisfactory results and the case is closed as far as I am concerned !

Glad to hear it!

Sorry, I don't mind Otto's complaints. If you don't then keep it to yourself.
    HP Omen Obelisk Desktop, i7-8700, GeForce RTX 2080, Windows 10 Pro

Dave Horton
    North Las Vegas, NV

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    Like WINDOWS and other software suppliers, they give users the option to refuse updates and reminders keep popping up from time to time from the likes of UltraEdit, FileZilla, Adobe and others when running their programs !

I am in charge of what my computer does and nobody is allowed to make any changes to it and what runs on it unless I have approved it !
    I'm guessing you know about Win 10 not allowing folks to turn off updates and patches so you're avoiding it (which I agree with), but here's an article about Win 7 that might interest you.
    Not sure how it will apply to you but thought I'd point it out anyway.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016...-update-model/