Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AI trains problems in timetable mode

Default AI trains problems in timetable mode

AI trains don't stop in only a few stations in timetable mode. Some run through the whole route immediatly after starting time from timetable-editor, not the scheduled time from the first station. Some stop once and then go through the route; it seems AI trains don't recognize the stations?? What is the criterion that an AI train recognizes a station, is it something in the tdb?

Another question concerning passing paths; the manual is not exactly clear on that point:

Single track route with 2 track passing station: do I have to define the paths for two oncoming trains

a) same main line and passing track, i.e. track 1 is main line (yellow) for both trains and track 2 (orange) is passing track for both trains

b) each train has its own line and uses the passing track of the other train as its own main track, i.e train A uses track 1 as main line (yellow) and has track 2 as passing track (orange), train B has track 1 as passing track (orange) and track 2 as main line (yellow)

In OR both trains have the same path on the same track, and the passing path for both is also set the same. This is described in more detail in the manual.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

In timetable mode trains stop at station platforms, as defined in Route Editor. In addition a time or command must given for the station in the timetable.
    The timetable is compiled in a spreadsheet, saved in as a csv in an "open rails" folder in the route activities.
    Or you can make the timetable using the Timetable Editor in the tools menu of Open Rails.
    It is great fun when you have dozens of trains interacting, and all of them playable, and running their full path.
    Timetable mode is marvelous, and deserves greater recognition.
    rick

Could be fun, if it worked. But it doesn't for my single track completely unsignalled route.

If the station or platform name has any spaces in it, it will not be recognised as a timetable stop.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Thanks, that information keeps AI to the timetable, I had some platform names with spaces. I still have to solve the deadlock problem. I used different passing path configurations, but the maddening part is, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. So I think the time factor seems to be essential in some way; which train is first at a certain point....

Hello! I noticed that if the AI train path intersects itself, the stations after that crossing will not be recognized.

Thanks for the info, but I have no intersections of AI path. Unfortunately I couldn't solve the deadlocking of passing trains until now, although I tried every conceivable combination of main track and passing paths. I'm hoping for the "improved passing path solution" to be implemented someday (hopefully soon), but I'm not too optimistic that it will work with completely unsignalled routes.

Passing paths should work on a completely unsignelled route provided there is indeed not a single signal defined anywhere.
    Have you checked the Dispatcher Info hud to check on what is happening? That gives a fair idea on how far trains have cleared the route ahead, for instance it shows when a train has booked its path through a passing location, which might be earlier than expected.
    One thing to avoid if at all possible is to have trains in opposite direction starting and ending at the same track. This can easily lead to 'unresolvable' deadlocks - if the outbound train has cleared its path through the last passing area just before the incoming train starts, there is no alternative way to go for either train.
    If starting & ending on the same track cannot be avoided, the best thing to do is create 'fixed' passing paths at the last passing location.
    On one point I'm afraid I will have to disappoint you - there are no changes planned to the passing path logic.
    By the way, if you have a fixed timetable with booked passings, it is better to create 'fixed' passing paths, and use $wait commands to ensure trains will indeed be held to wait for the opposite train. Variable passing paths should only be used for untimed trains.

Regards,
    Rob Roeterdink

Thank you! The $wait command did it. Interesting is, that the AI train stops before the crossing station, waits for the player train to enter its platform and when the player train has stopped, the AI train enters its own platform. Not a big problem but strange.
    Last edited by Hannes44; 07-20-2017 at 04:15 AM.