Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: TSW -Train sim World-UE4

The first thought that came to my mind on viewing the Promo Video was that the shots "cherry picked" the obvious strong points with loads of close ups, but kept away from many long shots that showed the depth and detail of the scenery.

The TSW section was impressive and the cab detail reminded me of cockpit detail levels that FSX modellers have been achieving for some years. Will they include support for "Tracker"? (FSX users will understand). However the scenery detail and any impact that may have on the Sims performance remains to be seen?

Secondly, and I'm looking to the future here ...so TSW, does this level of detail mean an end to user/community add-ons, repaints, routes etc. The Pro graphics software needed for RS/RW/TS20XX seemed to severely curtail user input? ...and is this new game engine and it's related software going to be beyond the community in either price or complexity? Will repaints even be possible?

I have to say I share Vern's thoughts on "Multiplayer". You only have to read some feedback in the Run8 forums to see some downsides?

A good Scenario/Activity creator and editor would seem a big leap forward from TS20XX? ...and IMO far more relevant.

Of course DTG have to start somewhere but Sandpatch in the CSX era doesn't offer much variety? .......compared with the PRR in the transition era that was to have been a feature of MSTS2 ...the original MSTS2 that is.

Obviously at this stage there are more questions than answers but as TS2017 seems to draw a line under that Sim's series it's worth commenting (before the Fanbois pitch in) that we now have 5 "established" Train Sims and potentially a completely new one?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Hi Bill,
    Quote Originally Posted by usnret View Post
    Looking over this Utube display, the best thing I saw were trees waving in the breeze!
    Bill
    ...actually implemented (but seldom used) in MSTS believe it or not! Certainly would have been a feature of MSTS2 and has been used in FSX scenery add-ons

Quote Originally Posted by usnret View Post
    but I am not interested in the engineer (train driver for my Brit friends) going up the steps, opening doors and getting him/herself seated in the engineer's seat! I want to see a very well simulated river stream in mountain passes, bubbling-away over rocky stream beds, like you would actually see if you were to drive parallel with BNSF's Marias Pass down grade that rival scenic beauty anywhere in the world! (I've done that!)Bill
    I quite agree. The thing that Flight Simulation has worked hardest at improving is the scenery detail and the climatic environment and lighting. IMO the physics OUGHT to be "a given"? IF they're not that's still not a reason to neglect the scenery because ROUTES are by far the most complex part of a rail simulator and once established upgrades in stock can be added anytime

I mentioned in a post I made at the same time as yours the inclusion of Tracker in the new Sim and using this
    http://naturalpoint.com/trackir/
    Scenery becomes even more important.
    Geoff
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    ...... does this level of detail mean an end to user/community add-ons, repaints, routes etc. The Pro graphics software needed for RS/RW/TS20XX seemed to severely curtail user input? ......
    Not sure if that is a statement (reads like one) or if you are asking a question.

If the latter then the answer is no.
    Just because the core uses UE4 does not mean that third-party creators use that in order to create routes or repaints of already-existing 'stock.
    Object creators use a variety of 3D suites, including Blender, Maya or 3D Studio Max.
    It isn't necessary to even own UE4 in order to create content. UE4 is the "engine" which drives the simulation.

Routes would be created by whatever editor DTG incorporate (if any) in TWS...in a similar manner to how we currently create routes for any existing train sim.
    Last edited by seagoon; 09-03-2016 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Spelling
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

so TSW, does this level of detail mean an end to user/community add-ons, repaints, routes etc.
    This of course is probably going to be the number one question on many users' lips - offered my own speculation on the previous page that this might follow their "RS" model where the tools arrived later.

I can only hope if there *is* a route editor they start from scratch, especially with that bloody terrain painting tool which has never changed and is next to useless. You just have to look at some of the so called "pro" level payware routes set in the hills and mountains at the cludgey terrain painting to see that the experts struggle with it. Some sort of advance on MSTS for Mosaic would seem the answer where the editor can intelligently read the patterns and colours on Google Earth and apply at least the basic textures accordingly. Some sort of autogen would be nice too... though better stop here before we get into wish-list territory.

I also wonder if there are long term plans to integrate this with their new flight sim, moving towards a complete Transport World type application.
    Vern.

O.K., I am going to stick my head over the parapet again and hope that nobody has me in his sniper's rifle sight !

Much is being said about
    T2017 and TSW, based on assumption and until we can see on our computers what they look like, hopefully pleasing Prototypers and Scenery lovers alike, the latter I think are in the majority, we can only guess and speculate !

Having been a Private pilot and FS / FSX user for many years, I have configured their planes cockpits views the same way as I am now doing with the Railworks F4-HUD, to view what I like best, whih is good looking scenery and tracks, the latter improved by myself with modded Marc Nelson's SR tracks, long before RSC followed suit with their later 3D ones and are being used by all RW Freeware routes from my web site !

I may have to remove them and the merged by me RW routes if they have problems running in TS-2017 !

Here is my local airport, I have spent many happy hours flying from up to the age of 70, when I did not bother to renew my licence, new rules making it a hassle having passengers on board, more costly frequent health checks being required and then had my first heart attack at the age of 74 !

Yes, I have the PIE Raildriver, not working as it should in TS-2016 and this FS kit which does in FSX !

Somehow I have the feeling that I can not do that with TSW-UE4 and as with all new software it will take a long time before most of all its inevitable bugs will be ironed out !

Many artists have worked their guts out to give us good looking Scenic routes like the Semmering Bahn, Black Forests, Pacific Surfliner, NEC, North Jersey Coast Line, Albula, Springfield Line and more.

If all that some want is to drive locos from inside their cabs, like the new tsw CSX with it restricted outside views, then why bother create wall-to-wall Vista-Vision landscapes !

Lets hope that there will be something for everybody, to make TSW-UE4 a barnstormer like MSTSBin, FS and FSX have been !

I hope that readers of my posts can accept that what I like is what matters to me most and me helping others with their Train Simulators is being appreciated !

Hi Otto. Don't worry about the Snipers. They are always around. I have decided to just flat out ignore them. Personally, I thank you for all your help and tutoring. I couldn't have solved some of my issues with out your sage advice. So press on and change is what makes things exciting and the World a better place no matter how frustrating things are at times. Good health my friend.
    HP Omen Obelisk Desktop, i7-8700, GeForce RTX 2080, Windows 10 Pro

Dave Horton
    Las Vegas, NV

Quote Originally Posted by dphorton View Post
    Hi Otto. Don't worry about the Snipers. They are always around. I have decided to just flat out ignore them. Personally, I thank you for all your help and tutoring. I couldn't have solved some of my issues with out your sage advice. So press on and change is what makes things exciting and the World a better place no matter how frustrating things are at times. Good health my friend.
    Thanks, Dave !

Yes, I have many good friends like you and am learning to adopt your attitude.

But being Austrian and 87 it is not always easy and my Ignore list is growing !

Take care !

Looks like this, but I can't see much difference in the external views presented; however, the name change alone means that this will be a new game not associted with the version we are running now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J4U...,KI9KG,11H49,1

Ah, a new sim for the complainers to complain about, nice.

Harold

Quote Originally Posted by hminky View Post
    Ah, a new sim for the complainers to complain about, nice.

Harold
    To which one might reply Harold ....a new sim for the sycophants to fawn over?

In this day of "Internet Reviews" I ALWAYS go to the lowest reviews first. A quick read will soon throw light on any real or potential problem. It will also easily show up the moaners and the idiots that booked or ordered the wrong thing? Go to the 5 star reviews and once you've filtered out the glowing reviews posted under false names by the owner/creator/manufacturer of the item you then get to wonder how much experience or use the reviewer has of said item/service?

Before anyone championed consumer rights there was an awful lot of sub standard, downright dangerous, totally misrepresented stuff out there. If no one complained they'd still be foisting that off on you Harold?

Many of the "complainers" on here are actually folk with 15 plus years experience of simulators. There are, just as with the reviews I mentioned, a fair share of idiots too ....BUT without critical appraisal there is NO worthwhile development.

The clue is in the Title? Forum : a place to exchange ideas and information. One mans argument is another man's discussion so if you don't like that ....don't read them
    Geoff
    UK