Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: TSW -Train sim World-UE4

Quote Originally Posted by hminky View Post
    Ah, a new sim for the complainers to complain about, nice.
    Harold
    Nice to see you again Harold. Yeah, this new Train Sim World has pinched the Speedtrees from Trainz, so, same crap content, different Simulator, why are we surprised......

Cheerz,. ex-railwayman.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

It does, but the graphics have not been the major problem in the past, so "fixing" them contributes what to the game experience?

I'm far more interested in things like proper physics of trains and locos, realistic acceleration, braking and performance, and above all some serious operational capabilities.

As a railroad modeler, I'm not a big fan of switching ops because they can get to be tedious when you have to do it all maunally, but in a sim like this, switching and handling cars under all different conditions and locales is a major part of the enjoyment. A beautiful modern train that goes 200 mph fro point A to point B is boring, and photo quality graphics will not change that one tiny bit.

I thought DTG finally got the message when the Clear Creek Line came out, but obviously they intend to go a different way, and I am so far not motivated to follow that path with them, spending a lot of money on replacing existing routes and content. What is optimal for the seller is not always optimal for the buyer/player. There is so much more that could have been done with 2016 and wasn't that I fear a repeat a fw years down the line when a "new and improved" TSW will be introduced to again boost sagging sales.

My grandfather used to say to me: "If you can't do it right the first time, what makes you think you'll get it right by doing it again?"

He also told me that an"expert" was an idiot in a three piece suit. Smart man, my grandfather. We could use a lot more like him these days, what with all of the flim-flam and glitzy sales promos.

Want me to buy this thing? Thirty days free trial with all bells, whistle and gizmos. If I like it, I'm in. If I don't by that point I never will be. I get to test drive a brand new car...right?

Good analogy re reviews Geoff. If I'm looking at something on Amazon I always tend to look at the 2, 3 and 4 star reviews as 5 stars more often than not posted by fanbois and 1 star by the haters (or the ones who didn't like the box it came in). All we really have to go on at the moment is the enthusiastic, but obviously very carefully PR managed, presentation.

Part of where Trainz New Era went wrong is that people got suckered in by those "target graphics" mock up images, parted with the Kickstarter money, many of whom subsequently when it all went Pete Tong were frightened to admit or call N3V out on the forums and actually started to behave in a fairly aggressive way towards anyone who had a doubt. Now I do feel a tad more confident about DTG on this one, not least because they demo'ed an actual Alpha version, but that does not mean those of us with many years experience around these sims will not be keeping a close eye on what we know to be their weak points.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    ......Want me to buy this thing? Thirty days free trial with all bells, whistle and gizmos. If I like it, I'm in. If I don't by that point I never will be. I get to test drive a brand new car...right?
    You get to test drive a new car for 30 days?!!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    My grandfather used to say to me...................
    ......... Smart man, my grandfather. ....
    Certainly one with a load of snappy sayings and down-home cliches.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Good point.
    HP Omen Obelisk Desktop, i7-8700, GeForce RTX 2080, Windows 10 Pro

Dave Horton
    Las Vegas, NV

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    One mans argument is another man's discussion so if you don't like that ....don't read them
    The IGNORE function is golden, so that we don't have to read the umpteenth rant from chronic complainers. Too bad there isn't an auto-reply that sends "WE GET IT, WE REALLY GET IT. YOU DON'T LIKE [INSERT SIMULATOR NAME HERE]".

Harold's words are true. No matter what Dovetail releases, we're going to see tiresome, repetitive complaints from the same sources. When the same complaint is made about a simulator or its publisher for the 20th, 30th time, it's hardly critical appraisal. It's just childish, trollish complaining.

A free test drive these days at the car lot is a recommended 15 minutes, but used to be 10-minutes-on-the-street, 10-on-the-highway. Software ain't a car.

I know many good people who are experts in their fields of study, art, and technology. My grandfathers would have admired them, would not have insulted them out of hand. Mine urged me to study hard, get as good an education as I could, and to learn what I could from experts. I look back and am grateful that my grandparents encouraged me that way, when they were alive. Maybe better than teaching "everyone is stupid", you think?

Shunting and switching isn't everyone's cup of tea. I believe it takes just as much concentration, discipline, and skill to run a long-haul properly, to schedule, and to do it right, do it to completion. I'd much rather run a train long distance than back and forth in the yard. So don't call me unless the train is ready to roll, please. I enjoy the scenery, too. To each his own!
    Last edited by ftldave; 09-04-2016 at 12:57 AM. Reason: add txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Nobody is complaining, Dave, they are reporting what is not working and looking how it should, no action being taken keep mentioning it again !

Would you keep doing that if your car or home equipment is not working as it should and is not getting fixed ?

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    Nobody is complaining, Dave, they are reporting what is not working and looking how it should, no action being taken keep mentioning it again !

Would you keep doing that if your car or home equipment is not working as it should and is not getting fixed ?
    Apparently so Otto?! but then "brand loyalty" has seen some really overpriced items receive totally unjustified praise and loyalty? Try Googling "Car manufacturer recalls". If THAT doesn't open the "badge collecting" brigades eyes then nothing will .

Sorry but continuing to complain about unfixed faults is NOT "Trolling". If anything it represents interest. The opposite of "love" is not hate: it's indifference.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    ....The opposite of "love" is not hate: it's indifference.
    Actually, an antonym for "love" is, in fact, "hate"....along with a dozen or so other words, including "indifference".