Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TSW -Train sim World-UE4

Default TSW -Train sim World-UE4

Looks amazingly photoreal,Sandpatch-CSX GP38,+2morelocos.Well worth watching Very impressive!Beta available in December.

https://www.facebook.com/railsimulator
    Last edited by smiljacc18; 09-01-2016 at 02:00 PM.

Kevin

Where to start...!

Big grin on my face at the pre-Alpha demonstration of TSW, have to concur with Paul Jackson's sentiments that this is some sort of culmination to all the text based and side scrolling sims of the late 1990's when we could only dream about high quality graphics. This is where TANE should have taken Trainz and I agree that if the price of getting such a quantum leap is dumping backward compatibility that is the correct decision. Better physics etc., well we will see but a more open world you can walk around in is another positive step for me - a proper living, breathing environment.

Of course with my Mr Pragmatic hat on, the presentation was very much what Dovetail wanted us to see and there are many questions probing just below the surface not just in more depth:

* Despite the TS2017 offer almost inevitably many will see this as the wrapping up of this era of the franchise. Look how quickly Rail Simulator fell off the grid once Railworks came out to play. Certainly if I was a commercial developer, expect to see sales of anything due to come out between now and TSW tail off dramatically. On my own part, useless new laptop notwithstanding, I would be disinclined to start anything new in existing TS, route building wise.
    * Hardware requirements - this is presumably going to need a fairly bullish rig to run on - are we getting into the territory that FSX did when it the PC that could run it at full capability hadn't even been conceived at the initial release stage.
    * Is the final version of TSW going to just be the Sandpatch route or will there be other content too?
    * And now to the doozy where my interest and that of many others lies - the sandbox to create your own worlds, routes and physical assets such as rolling stock or static objects. I fear the technical advance into UE4 is going to represent a serious sucker punch to those creating content at the hobby level of time and money - particularly if high end graphics and modelling programmes are going to be required. In which case, we will be almost entirely dependent on Dovetail and their professional level associates for additional content, which will come at a price.

In conclusion I still think it's a great development, if nothing else one in the eye for N3V games and their lacklustre attempt to reboot the franchise. Definitely going to be investing in the TS2017/route pack upgrade at 75% off and get on the beta access.
    Vern.

"It looks visually....."
    I wonder if it also sounds aurally........?

Sandpatch....great route and one of the first Maple Leaf Track offerings for MSTS.
    Should be spectacular in TSW.
    Last edited by seagoon; 09-01-2016 at 05:35 PM.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

More info here http://train-simulator.com/the-futur...in-simulation/

Including PC specs:

Train Sim World: CSX Heavy Haul Beta – Anticipated Minimum PC Specification

OS: 64-bit Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows 8 / 8.1 or Windows 10
    Processor: 2 GHz Dual-Core 64-bit CPU
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: DirectX 10 Compatible GPU with 2 GB Video RAM
    Sound: DirectX Compatible
    Storage: Approx 40 GB available space
    DirectX: Version 10
    A free Steam account and Broadband internet connection is required

Quote Originally Posted by dpgibbons View Post
    ..... and Broadband internet connection is required
    Well that will stuff up more than a few people who intend buying it.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Oh dear, how will that BT copper wire rural internet cope...

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    Well that will stuff up more than a few people who intend buying it.
    Kevin

so looking at the video of tsw ask the question. depending on how well final product turns out and if runs really really well could this bring alot of people maybe 3rd party builders from both trainz and msts on over to tsw to make a lot of content for tsw. now i know they would have to start all over again but the way game is i figure this game could be the next msts lasting for 20 maybe 30 years and still look amazing.

Have I missed something in the various videos and information?
    There is negligible reference to real-world physics & dynamics; it's all about the appearance.

I'm fairly certain there was reference to physics in the verbal presentation but yes, one of the areas of concern as we know it is a weak point in current TS20xx particularly where long freight trains are concerned.

Other thoughts overnight... I still struggle to see how multiplayer can really apply to a train sim. Okay I'm a sad anti-social outcast but I just hope it doesn't come at the expense of the SP game.

With regard to routes, those of us who spent time around MSTS probably know about Sandpatch but I'm guessing it's not an immediate iconic route in North America let alone the rest of the world. To sell this globally, DTG are going to need to demonstrate the same capabilities with a HST in a section of the West Country or a Class 37 on a rusty mineral line (for the UK) and something similar for Europe, perhaps Asia/Australasia as well.

Will TS2017 be the last iteration of the "old" game or will it carry on in parallel? How long will it continue to be supported? What about long standing bugs such as the crash on importing DEM near lines of latitude?
    Vern.