Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: TSW -Train sim World-UE4

Well, I've just noticed that we need 40GB of hard drive disk space, is this just for the beta, 'cos I don't have that kind of space on my hard drive now, I've just put on DirtRally at 40GB, Project Cars is 25GB, GTA V 65GB, CoD Black Ops 3 60GB, Battlefield 1 next year is 65GB, we'll be needing 18 hours minimum to install everything nowadays, and is this new version coming on Steam, there was no mention of that in their very time limited video?

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 09-02-2016 at 06:16 AM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

I see that DTG have posted some limited responses to questions at RWA, hopefully the other points being raised there, here and at UKTS will be addressed with a FAQ in due course.

Unfortunately superior graphics etc. looks like it will come at a price in terms of HD space. Even with a 1Tb data drive on the main PC, surprising how quickly it gets eaten up and "standard" TS20xx is one of the biggest culprits. By contrast, the MSTS footprint is quite modest!
    Vern.

Hi Vern,
    I do think Sand Patch counts as an iconic route. Maybe not the top 5, but on the list.
    Here are my other US nominations:
    - Northeast Corridor (Amtrak, et. al)
    - Horseshoe Curve (PRR)
    - Strasburg RR
    - New York - Poughkeepsie (NYC)
    - New York - New Haven (NH)
    - New River Gorge (C&O)
    - "The Rathole" Cincinnati - Atlanta (Southern/NS)
    - Cass Scenic Railroad
    - Hoosic Tunnel (B&M)
    - Saluda Grade (Southern)
    - Florida East Coast (including Key West Line)
    - New Orleans - Meridian MS (Southern)
    - Denver & Rio Grande RR (All of it)
    - Sherman Hill (UP)
    - "The Racetrack" Chicago - Aurora (Metra/BNSF)
    - "The Transcon" Chicago - LA (BNSF)
    - Cajon Pass (BNSF/UP)
    - Tepechi Pass (BNSF/UP)
    - Donner Pass (UP)
    - Milwaukee Road electric division in Montana
    - Powder River basin coal (BNSF/UP)
    - New York & Long Branch RR (NJ Transit)
    - Paoili Line (SEPTA/Amtrak)
    - South Shore Railroad
    - Durango & Silverton narrow gage
    - Pacfic Electric Santa Monica branch
    - North Shore interurban
    - Maine two foot guage
    - Virginia & Truckee

Christopher

@Otto...

You need to take a couple of steps back here old friend and listen closely and carefully to what DTG said in their presentation.

TS2017 is not the UE4 edition. It is the next (last?) upgrade of the existing game engine using the same system as the last few years.

However what TS2017 opens up, if you take the upgrade and buy the new routes is early access to the beta version of Train Sim World which is the all new UE4 simulation they are currently developing. They stated quite clearly that routes from the previous version(s) i.e. Rail Simulator/Railworks 1.0 through to TS2017 will not be backward compatible with TSW. These will continue to be playable and useable via the legacy programme, i.e. TS2017.

Beyond that much has yet to be revealed, including the road-map for future content creation in the UE4 environment. Effectively what we will have is a company selling and supporting two completely separate train sim products side by side, well at least until user demand for TS2017 falls away and it isn't worth their while supporting it. Reading between the lines DTG are still planning new content for TS2017.

So panic not.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I'm fairly certain there was reference to physics in the verbal presentation but yes, one of the areas of concern as we know it is a weak point in current TS20xx particularly where long freight trains are concerned......
    My purchase of TSW will hinge on that very point.
    I'm not interested in yet another graphically-gorgeous train sim which is deficient in realistic physics.

If TSW loses the plot in that area, and Run 8 v2 provides us with the promised AI enhancement, then I know where I'll be spending my retirement dollars.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

TS2017 is indeed the end of the line for that environment. Whodathunk that the MSTS environment would have outlasted TS/RW?...

The video is very, very eyegrabbing, but I do have to wonder about all the other issues, e.g. the physics, tools for routebuilding... Not having any backward compatibility is understandable, but RW required a heck of a lot more investment than MSTS ever did. Wouldn't surprise me if there are a lot of people who opt in for the early beta but stick with the TS2016/2017 platform as long as it's still supported.

The elephant in the room to me is what happens when DTG pulls the plug on TS2016/2017 in a few years (especially if the uptake on TSW winds up being less than stellar).

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    TS2017 is indeed the end of the line for that environment. Whodathunk that the MSTS environment would have outlasted TS/RW?....
    It has lasted as long as it did and is still going strong it seems with ORTS, because its users have improved it !

Foremost MSTSBin, Demex, Kosmos, DB-Tracks, UK-Finescale, NewRoads, X-Tracks, Signalling, MSTSBin, tools like the Route Riter, Conbuilder and many others, as well as route creators, too many to mention here !

DTG have gradually tried to stop users doing their own thing, shooting themselves in the foot and will no doubt do more of the same with TS-2017 !

TS-UE4 will be a true GAME, most users can do nothing much with other than just play it, no creating anything ! Their third-party partners having to change tack and learn to use UE4 !

P.S.: A thought has just occurred to me, what will happen to TS-2016 routes still being worked on, like Thomas Bontempo's P&LE route ?

Can it still be worked on and run in TS-2017 ?
    Last edited by OTTODAD; 09-02-2016 at 07:55 PM. Reason: P.S.

Looking over this Utube display, the best thing I saw were trees waving in the breeze!

Now, I am indeed glad that DTW is working, frantically it seems, to give us a better experience in railroad simulation, but I think they are giving us this so-called better simulation, but I am not interested in the engineer (train driver for my Brit friends) going up the steps, opening doors and getting him/herself seated in the engineer's seat! I want to see a very well simulated river stream in mountain passes, bubbling-away over rocky stream beds, like you would actually see if you were to drive parallel with BNSF's Marias Pass down grade that rival scenic beauty anywhere in the world! (I've done that!)

Now I know that we should be concentrating on excellent railroad simulation rather then worrying about the scenery, but for me, great scenery depiction makes the train driving experience a great one that I am sure most hard-core railroaders would repeat the run over and over and over again!

I know I would! And like Otto, I will probably bide my time and wait for TS-201X with the full force application of UE4!

Regards,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by usnret View Post
    ..... great scenery depiction makes the train driving experience a great one that I am sure most hard-core railroaders would repeat the run over and over and over again!
    No, most "hard-core railroaders" would not repeat that run over and over and over again unless the physics/dynamics were sufficiently realistic to make it challenging and immersive.

That is the reason that many of us repeat the Tehachapi Pass/Cajon routes in solo mode in Run 8; because it is so immersive in the cab that we don't need trees waving in the breeze or bubbling mountain streams in order to suspend disbelief.

If TSW is just a prettier version of all the TSxxxx's that preceded it then its appeal to the hard-core railroader will wear off sooner rather than later.

Incidentally, the new version does not continue the "TSxxxx" naming; it is "Train Simulator World"...TSW for short.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I've been hearing on other forums the "scuttlebutt" is that user tools will be provided. However - and this is pure speculation - I wonder if access will be more controlled, perhaps similar to Rail Simulator where users had to register at the (then) RSDL site before being able to download and use. I'm also hoping they take some time to prepare proper documentation, the track record on this aspect is pretty abysmal with the changes in functionality to the editors over the last 4 or 5 years being largely undocumented. When challenged, Matt P. all but admitted they do not regard putting together documentation for what they see as a handful of hobby users, as a productive use of staff time.

So yes, by all means we must be positive and look to the future but just bear in mind, as Otto noted, they do not shine when it comes to easy access in the same way that MSTS and Trainz do and their over-riding priority (IMHO) from the new sim, will be first and foremost how to maximise revenue as a return on their investment. That is fair enough, they are a business and have to survive but tread cautiously in anticipation of what content creators/route builders at the lower/freeware end of the food chain might actually get.
    Vern.