Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serious Hardware Issue

Quote Originally Posted by mikeebb View Post
    Do you have software like Speedfan (Google it) that allows you to see fan speeds, internal voltages, and various system temperatures in real time? That might give you a clue about whether it's really temp or something else. Speedfan has a useful chart function - start it up, then start OR and run for 10 minutes or so. Shut down OR and look at the chart. Are temps and voltages normal?
    I use the monitor that came with my Gigabyte MB to check occasionally that fans haven't failed and that temperature settings are appropriate. It's also a good idea to look in the case sometimes and check that cooling fins and vents aren't clogged with dust.

Quote Originally Posted by EricF View Post
    You probably don't need to set the target framerate at 60 -- OR might dial back other settings in heavy scenery areas if for any reason your GPU has trouble keeping up. I run my OR with just VSync on, and the frame rate holds at my 60Hz monitor refresh rate anyway. I leave the target framerate box un-checked.
    Just VSync has always worked fine for me. I used to run with no limits and get high temperatures on GPU, CPU and MB but the cooling system coped and kept the temperatures within limits. As mentioned previously though, since the monitor can't display at more than 60fps why stress the system unnecessarily.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I regard myself as reasonably computer literate having in the past put together two self built systems, but in this case even I was just a mouse click away from ordering a new PSU.
    Good you did not !

Replacing one with all its leads to be connected to the Mobo and installed hardware is a nightmare in many computer cases !

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post

Good you did not !

Replacing one with all its leads to be connected to the Mobo and installed hardware is a nightmare in many computer cases !
    At some point I might especially if I decide to keep this PC and upgrade the GPU to a 1070 or similar. Although more expensive, I quite like the modular style PSU's as you only need to hook up those connections actually required.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTODAD View Post
    Not if you do your homework first and order the correct PSU for the case in which you want to install it.
    I've built enough PCs over the years (the most recent being last year) to know that it is really pretty simple once you have that information together.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Same as you Bruce, my PC case is about 12 years old but everything in it, is under 2.5 years old.

Cannot afford to buy a new machine every year, so i constantly re-new\upgrade components on a rolling basis.

I can also strip down and re-build a Maybach MD665 prime mover. Hand scrape the crank shaft white metal bearings on various mainline loco classes. Using hand tools, engineers blue and a micrometer. So Otto there is always someone else in this world, that knows more than you, in any given subject. As my poor old late dad used to say. Only a fool or a liar, thinks he knows it all.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Same as you Bruce, my PC case is about 12 years old but everything in it, is under 2.5 years old.

Cannot afford to buy a new machine every year, so i constantly re-new\upgrade components on a rolling basis.

I can also strip down and re-build a Maybach MD665 prime mover. Hand scrape the crank shaft white metal bearings on various mainline loco classes. Using hand tools, engineers blue and a micrometer. So Otto there is always someone else in this world, that knows more than you, in any given subject. As my poor old late dad used to say. Only a fool or a liar, thinks he knows it all.
    I did have to replace my case last year when I updated everything else....the new P/S wouldn't fit in the old one!

Mike...I was an electrical apprentice for 3 years (1964 - 1967) and STILL connect two wires using the Western Union practice taught all those years ago. Some skills never disappear.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    I did have to replace my case last year when I updated everything else....the new P/S wouldn't fit in the old one!

Mike...I was an electrical apprentice for 3 years (1964 - 1967) and STILL connect two wires using the Western Union practice taught all those years ago. Some skills never disappear.
    Bruce, you need a better tape measure buddy. My box is an old style ATX Tower, so quite large.

I fitted a Zalman 850W PSU in it about 3 years ago, which is quite a big beast. It fitted more by luck than judgement.

Great stuff Bruce, you started learning your trade 3 years before me, my British Rail mechanical apprenticeship was for 5 years.

I had to look up "Western Union" practice, never come across that before, buddy.