Thread: AI & Loose Consist Steam Locomotives

Default AI & Loose Consist Steam Locomotives

Hello, a question about steam locos. I am running a couple of acts on the Allegheny Route, which utilizes a number of steam locos.

While running I noticed that only operating locos (AI Pulling a Train) had any Steam and/or Smoke when passing by. The ones that are Loose Consist Locos, sitting in a yard or sitting at a station, had no smoke or sounds.

I usually replace Steam for Diesel because of this situation, easier. Now with x3630 the route looks so nice and the Steam Locos lend a nice touch.

Through experience with Full Size Steam, they are noisy clanking smoke-filled beasts, to just see them sitting there isn't natural. I know from reading various posts OR does not use a lot of the parameters that MSTS uses for Steam.

Is there a way of editing the "Eng" file to provide the sounds/smoke/steam? I am NOT interested in using them as a player engine, so I just need something to get the action going.

Thank You

Currently in OR, loose consists are inert objects.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    Currently in OR, loose consists are inert objects.
    Then is there a way that the sounds can be triggered? A grouping of steam loco clanking, pump sounds and such?

At least diesels sitting in yards have smoke out the stacks.? Why is steam different?

I suspect it has something to do with the way that the smoke/steam system works. The steam engine code is a completely separate item from the diesel one. There has been progress on the air braking system which incorporates leaks, which may well trigger the air pump into life to maintain pressure. The eng file needs the code lines added to activate this. The exhaust of a steam locomotive in OR when at rest is almost zero, with just a few lazy puffs hanging low round the stack. The whole steam exhaust system needs a serious overhaul, but also needs someone able to write the code for it.
    -----------------------Info from Elvas Tower----------------
    To get the leakage working you need to be running at least version #3600 of Open Rails
    To enable this capability the following parameter must be entered into the ENG file.

TrainPipeLeakRate ( 0.0833 )

The default unit of measure is psi/s. Other units can be bar/s, inHg/s or kPa/s.
    Normally the train air pipe leakage rate accepted by most railways was around 5psi/min.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Thank you for that. Now knowing that they are completely different solves that issue.

If I could I would. I will try entering that line and see/hear what happens.