Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I upgrade my graphics card

Default Can I upgrade my graphics card

This is my first post I do hope it's the right part of the Forum

Hello I would like advice please . Can I upgrade my graphics card To gain MORE FPS
    my Pc was a home build, I purchased it with monitor when my work mate emigrated (400,I put SSD DRIVE IN)
    I HAVE OWNED IT FOR 3 years but I think now games are more detailed
    Playing TS 2017 Munich-Garmisch Spring Cloudy 13:06 hrs
    I have used this run all the time to check out FPS at different settings I am getting 24 FPS at full settings
    34FPS MEDIUM SETTINGS

MY PC Desktop spec
    Windows 10 64-bit
    Cup i5 [email protected] GHz Lynfield 45 nm technology
    Ram 8.gb Dual-Channel DDR3 @668 MHz (9-9-9-24)
    Motherboard Micro Star International PP55-GD65(ms758) cpu
    BenQXL2410T monitor (1920x1080)&60HZ
    1024MB ATI Amd Radeon HD 5800series (sapphire/PC partner)
    Storage 232gb Samsung SSD 840EVO 250gb SD USED 183gb free 25gb
    AUDIO ASUS ASUS Xonar
    I have all these details via SPECCY

Virgin cable internet SuperFibre 50
    Up to 50 Mbps
    Unlimited

ALL MY DRIVERS FOR EVERYTHING ARE UP TODATE
    My problem is I don't know which GRAPHICS CARD to get and I don't want to get a bottle neck and wast money

OR IS IT TIME TO GET A NEW PC

MANY THANKS to you all
    Phil NOW HAPPILY RETIRED
    ( should have retired when I left school )

Hi Phil and welcome to trainsim,

You will need to look at the power supply as well.
    Yes you can upgrade to get more fps.
    I don't use ts2017, I am an Open Rails person.

Fps is down to how much money you want to spend.
    The new nVidia 1080 is about $1000
    How much are you willing to spend?
    Cheers
    Derek

Thankyou Derek I am away from home till Monday 26thOctober so I will check out my power supply and let you know, how will I reply to you again via this link ? Once again thankyou Phil

HI Phil,

Yes, always answer here.
    Other people may have the same question and see the answer.
    Cheers
    Derek

Looking at those specs and wishing I had something that nice. Yes, weak point is probably the graphics card, at least for Open Rails and other modern simulators. Might also want a bigger disk - I recently got a 480GB Patriot Blaze (not as good as yours, but still, SSD) for <$80US after rebate.

Yes, need info regarding power supply. If you have less than 500W now it's probably marginal for a really good new card, but there might be some mid-grade cards that will work and are still an improvement. Check Tom's Hardware for some ideas: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...s,4380.html#p1 and http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rchy,4388.html

Default My power supply

Once again many thanks to you. My power supply is Fatal1ty 750W and I would like to know which graphic card to buy,also which brand name thanks once again image.jpgimage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

How much do you want to spend?
    Cheers
    Derek

Film is projected at 24 f.p.s. TV used to be 25 f.p.s.

You already get 24 f.p.s

Save your money towards upgrading the whole machine unless the 24 f.p.s. you quote is a "best" that slows in graphically dense areas?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Hi Derek, 250 tops thanks again
    Phil

Brand name: like most others in the game, I prefer nVidia because it usually Just Works with Microsoft Train Simulator. ATI (AMD) cards require a driver tweak (documented elsewhere here) to work with MSTS in Windows 8 & 10. Intel built-in graphics often don't work at all with MSTS in Windows 8 & 10, or if they do it's slow and sometimes garbled-looking.

Note that this is NOT a case of compatibility with Windows itself; it's a matter of driver support of MSTS. If you plan to use Open Rails or TS(some year) instead of MSTS, you should have no problems with either nVidia or AMD (Intel is still a c***shoot; best reserved for lightweight business stuff). Be careful: if you have a i5, you have Intel graphics; be sure that they're turned off, probably in the BIOS, to use a different graphics card.

One other thing: your CPU is adequate in combination with the rest of the system, but if you get a really good graphics card it'll probably bottleneck things a bit. If you want to spend some more money, consider upgrading that, in particular to something with at least 4 real cores, not 4 LOGICAL cores = 2 real with Hyperthreading as in most i5's, for Open Rails, and a clock of 3 GHz or better for single-core performance in MSTS. That might also require upgrading your cooling (CPU heat sink). Not a critical need, though - what you have is quite good enough.

I'm not sure if the TS series does aggressive multiprocessing like Open Rails: if it does, getting more CPU cores would be important; if not, a higher speed (as with MSTS) would be more important. Getting both is relatively trivial these days if you have the money.

Finally: consider Geoff's comment. A smooth 25-30 fps is visually good enough in most cases. Astronomical frame rates (in the 100's) are good for bragging rights and overheating the hardware, but useless if your monitor runs at 60 Hz. My monitor is an old CRT that runs at 75 Hz - still, worth limiting the frame rate in the game to avoid overheat and reduce power consumption, though I don't bother because my old hardware usually can't get past 60-70 anyway.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 09-26-2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: TS series comment; frame rate